3/31 GT: Sox @ Astros (Lynn v Javier) 7PM, NBCSN

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Grandal is a better LHH without the shift.  Zavala should only start against LHP 

Catcher is primarily a defensive position. Zavala should catch a lot. He might get into 80 games this year, if you include taking Grandal out for pinch runners. Seby’s a real decent back up, hitting eighth. If they use him correctly, Grandal can stay fresh for the stretch run. Therefore, I believe Zavala will start against plenty of righties.

I’d aim for ~100 starts out of Grandal at the catcher spot this year.  If Zavala proves he is worthy of more playing time or Grandal is unable to take on that load, then you can eventually reconsider.  But right now, I’d probably have him tonight and Sunday with Seby starting tomorrow.

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

That is incorrect. .749 OPS vs RHP, .653 vs LHP

Well damn, I didn't realize that. Part of that disparity was that Zavala's performance against RHP last year came with an unsustainable .422 BABIP, but I do retract my statement that Zavala should only play against LHP.

It remains to be seen whether Grifol is going to do a "personal catcher" thing with one (or two) of the starters.

19 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Well damn, I didn't realize that. Part of that disparity was that Zavala's performance against RHP last year came with an unsustainable .422 BABIP, but I do retract my statement that Zavala should only play against LHP.

It remains to be seen whether Grifol is going to do a "personal catcher" thing with one (or two) of the starters.

Prediction:

with the advent of PitchCom, the concept of a “personal catcher” will go by the wayside.

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Prediction:

with the advent of PitchCom, the concept of a “personal catcher” will go by the wayside.

i don't know about that. I don't think many pitchers like to call their own game. Plus, guys with sharp breaking pitches, usually trust one guy to block them. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

@Quin

I had no idea they traded Alvarez like the Sox traded Tatis. 

I thought Alvarez was already on multiple T100 lists when he got traded to Houston. 

To continue this: Yeah, both trades are all time botches (or bad luck since they're the rare lottos that hit).

Imagine the Sox with Tatis and the Dodgers with Alvarez.

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Eh, I don’t mind Sheets tonight. You sub in Andrew once a LH reliever subs in and leave him in for the balance. I would rather max out lefties.

No lefties in their pen. 

• Thanks 1

If Vaughn's going to sit a day this week, I don't know why it being today is any more upsetting than it being Sunday or Tuesday or whenever 🤷‍♀️ 

Maybe AV's still ramping up with the back thing, maybe they like the matchup better with Sheets for some reason, but in any case one game isn't worth fussing over until and unless it becomes a pattern. The lineup is solid.

• Thanks 1