3/31 GT: Sox @ Astros (Lynn v Javier) 7PM, NBCSN

Buehrle>Wood

21 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

His back acting up already?

He did brush up against the wall on the missed pop-up, it was apparently enough to make him miss the ball.

More likely Grifol is being cautious with a guy who was having back issues just a week ago, it's best to ease him in.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

We go over this ever year.  Many managers like to get all their offensive players into the lineup during the first series.  As the great post above illustrates, why not do it against the slider-heavy pitcher?

I'm fine with it. It's not like there's some huge difference between Vaughn and Sheets right now. If AV proves himself a great hitter things will change. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm fine with it. It's not like there's some huge difference between Vaughn and Sheets right now. If AV proves himself a great hitter things will change. 

I wish more people realized this. It's more a knock on Vaughn than praise of Sheets. 

That being said, I'm the dumbass that has Vaughn on my fantasy team lol

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

We go over this ever year.  Many managers like to get all their offensive players into the lineup during the first series.  As the great post above illustrates, why not do it against the slider-heavy pitcher?

Think this is ptsd from sox fans. One thing I had heard that was a shift for the org this year was they were going to act more like braves and have their starters play 155+ games.

Hoping this is just due to the back and first series point you state. I'd like to see the starters play 150+ together

• Like 1

Expected some would be suicidal in here about Vaughan not starting....and I'm not disappointed.

Quite sure there is a good reason and a bit too early in the season to get on Grifol's back isn't it?

Edited by Taz

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

I suggested this at first. Hope it’s just this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Think this is ptsd from sox fans. One thing I had heard that was a shift for the org this year was they were going to act more like braves and have their starters play 155+ games.

Hoping this is just due to the back and first series point you state. I'd like to see the starters play 150+ together

Sounds like it's exactly that. If you're on the bench this year, you'll be used as a pinch hitter or injury replacement. Otherwise there's not gonna be much time out there with the exception of right field.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Hope it's not a straight platoon with Sheets and Vaughn but hopefully more of a "get a guy in there early at the beginning of the season" type of thing.

I don’t think Vaughn looked completely right yesterday despite the one big hit.  As such, I’m 100% ok with Sheets in the lineup tonight against a tough righty.  Now, if a 1B platoon becomes a regular thing then that’s highly problematic, but Grifol has implied his bench guys will be role players.  I just don’t see that happening unless Vaughn himself forces the issue.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Eh, I don’t mind Sheets tonight. You sub in Andrew once a LH reliever subs in and leave him in for the balance. I would rather max out lefties.

Astros don’t have any lefty relievers. 

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I like Grifol’s lineups so far. 

I know you're not a big Vaughn fan. It might be more Vaughn physical maintenance since Vaughn had the recent back troubles but it's backed by the platoon advantage so there are legit reasons to have Sheets in there today.

But I do think Vaughn being better and even perhaps much better in his 3rd year is one of the many keys to a much improved Sox team. Sheets has to be better too on the road and I'd be thrilled if that started tonight.