Padres Thread 2023

ron883

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35995685/sources-dsg-pays-rights-fee-padres-continue-airing-games

SAN DIEGO - Diamond Sports Group, the operator of 42 regional sports networks across MLB, the NBA and the NHL, paid the San Diego Padres their rights fee on Wednesday, which means the company will continue to broadcast the team's games in the near future, sources told ESPN.

Diamond, which operates under the name Bally Sports, filed for bankruptcy on March 14 and skipped its Padres payment shortly thereafter. The missed payment triggered a two-week contractual grace period, during which Diamond tried to negotiate a way to acquire the team's streaming rights, a source familiar with the process said. Diamond did not secure those rights but will, at least for now, continue to hold on to the Padres, who stand among the most talented and decorated teams in their sport.

https://theathletic.com/4378592/2023/04/04/cactus-league-scouting-padres-ethan-salas/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

Law: Padres’ Ethan Salas looks like a superstar in the making — I can’t believe this kid is 16

By Keith Law

7h ago

The Padres signed 16-year-old catcher Ethan Salas, the younger brother of Twins prospect Jose Salas, for $5.6 million this January — the highest bonus in this year’s international free agent class. He won’t turn 17 until June, but was already in minor league camp, and in a five-inning intrasquad game on Saturday morning he caught a rehabbing Joe Musgrove. I can’t believe this kid is only 16.

Salas catches like a veteran already, and just watching him catch Musgrove it was easy to forget there was a 15!? year age difference between the two. Salas showed soft hands and agility behind the plate, with plenty of arm strength in warmup throws, and he had no trouble blocking the few times he had to get into position to do so. At the plate, he has an incredibly simple swing and controls the barrel very well, with a direct path to the ball and the ability to pull his hands in to adjust to stuff on the inner third. It’s contact over power for now, given his age, of course, but also because he doesn’t always keep his front side strong, landing late and rolling over his front foot enough that it deprives him of some of the strength he should get from his legs.

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Tatis is pretty much living inside your head right now, lol...

Well, the Padres suck anyway.  Just 3-3 home start against Colorado and AZ.  Blew a 5-1 lead for Darvish with porous bullpen and defensive miscues.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

After a roast like that, this is now the Kade McClure thread.

Pretty bold to call him out with those career numbers but okay...Tatis seems to enjoy or thrive on the boos, playing the "villain" on the road.

Maybe they'll go back to ripping on Manny and that will wake up the big league team on April 20th.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty bold to call him out with those career numbers but okay...Tatis seems to enjoy or thrive on the boos, playing the "villain" on the road.

Maybe they'll go back to ripping on Manny and that will wake up the big league team on April 20th.

It’s because everyone knows Tatis is a piece of crap 

41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Angel Reese/Kim Mulkey=Tatis, Jr.

Well, fortunately I chose Julio Rodriguez as my Topps Redemption Autographed card last August over Tatis.

All unnecessary discourse around that aside, Tatis cheated, then claimed it was ringworm, so, nah?

1 hour ago, Quin said:

All unnecessary discourse around that aside, Tatis cheated, then claimed it was ringworm, so, nah?

His mother claimed that...at any rate, even if we change the spin from the Sox side to the loss of Sosa instead, Tatis (unlike Bonds) has all of his twenties to prove that he can produce legally/cleanly under a (supposedly) strenuous testing program.  Health is the biggest issue due to the style with which he plays...

I don't know, if the Padres somehow win it all with their current roster, will their fans add an asterisk like the 2017 Astros?  Or Boston Strong with David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez tainted?

Edited by caulfield12

On 4/6/2023 at 5:22 PM, caulfield12 said:

His mother claimed that...at any rate, even if we change the spin from the Sox side to the loss of Sosa instead, Tatis (unlike Bonds) has all of his twenties to prove that he can produce legally/cleanly under a (supposedly) strenuous testing program.  Health is the biggest issue due to the style with which he plays...

I don't know, if the Padres somehow win it all with their current roster, will their fans add an asterisk like the 2017 Astros?  Or Boston Strong with David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez tainted?

No one really asterisks the 2009 Yankees or any of the Red Sox championships, but unless you think Manny or A-Rod were roiding their entire careers, they should be HoFers.

It doesn't matter what he does for the rest of his career. If he hadn't lied in such a dumb way after being caught, maybe he'd dodge the label. Instead, he's gonna be the ringworm guy with a likely stellar career.

https://www.milb.com/player/fernando-tatis-jr-665487

Tatis seven homers in 33 at bats. 

Back next Sun. 

Sleepwalking Padres and Dodgers both average teams in early going.  Both need a jolt of electricity. 

https://www.milb.com/video/fernando-tatis-jr-s-six-homers?t=playerid-665487

Already beat Benintendi's projected season total in less than one week. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/fernando-tatis-jr-works-out-with-padres-before-return-to-games

Returning Thurs vs. DBacks. 

Edited by caulfield12

34 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Soto's underlying metrics are still outrageously good. I'll go out on a limb and say he won't BABIP .171 forever.

If the Padres want out of the Juan Soto business, please, by all means, send him here.

Preller's too far into this to reverse course, and the Dodgers aren't taking advantage of this 20 game stretch without Tatis to run away with the division early.

Bottom line, LA and SD still 2 out of the top 8 teams in MLB in terms of odds to win the World Series.

That said, Snell has been total garbage, Darvish not as reliable as usual and Musgrove had a setback in his injury rehab.   So they're already using the likes of Martinez, Weathers, Seth Lugo and Wacha to fill out that rotation.

Soto and Machado just aren't hitting.  Bogaerts the only one to hit the ground running, and Cronenworth has been fine.

https://www.gaslampball.com/2023/4/18/23687591/san-diego-fernando-tatis-jr-rejoining-padres

Padres' fans already want to run Preller out of town on a rail after the team went 2-7 and 1.5 games behind LAD... 1/2 game out of first as Musgrove and Tatis finally return this weekend. 

James Wood is the best prospect in baseball and will one day eclipse Soto (wouldn't trade Wood for Sosa just one for one, lol).  Mackenzie Gore will win the Cy Young some day and Robert Hassell will be a stud as well. 

Juan Soto only wants to walk and complain about the pitch clock. 

Not fun to follow prospects when he trades all of them away. 

Doesn't have a good enough pitching staff to win the WS. 

Hader is too shaky and his best days are behind him. 

Made the worst trade in. baseball history for "Sunshine" Clevinger. 

Was an idiot for letting Ty France and Hunter Renfroe go... 

"One specific thing about your comment that intrigued me was your statement about Preller misguiding ownership. I won't go as far as to call him a loser. Definitely a Rangerphile. But I've long called him things like used car salesman, snake oil salesman, jedi (as in user of the jedi mind trick), and Jafar. That guy from Aladdin, you're asking yourself? Yes, that guy from Aladdin that most importantly carries around a snake staff that hypnotizes people. Because there is really no logical explanation on how Preller has not been fired given how many times he has Amber Hearded the bed during his tenure. Look into the eyes of my snake staff Peter, pay no attention to my roster management.

Petco Park tonight will feature a team I absolutely think has gotten it right as far as how to build a roster that can compete to win multiple championships. Unfortunately, that team is the visiting Atlanta Braves. The good news for Padres fans is that anybody can beat anybody else in a short series in October. But of course you have to get there first."
Edited by caulfield12