Kopech

hi8is

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Any word from the pundits or in interviews from staff post game?

I’ve been super busy this week and haven’t been able to geek out in my usual ways.

He said he thought he was just missing his spots, but there is a feeling he may have been tipping his pitches. 

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He said he thought he was just missing his spots, but there is a feeling he may have been tipping his pitches. 

I definitely believe he's done that in the past so wouldn't surprise me if that's what was happening yesterday.  

Just now, Rowand44 said:

I definitely believe he's done that in the past so wouldn't surprise me if that's what was happening yesterday.  

There were some pretty crazy adjustments after the first inning, but he also lost a couple mph on his fastball and he couldn't locate his offspeed, so it might just be that. We'll see next start.

27 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Not to go all conspiracy theory but 53 home runs were hit across baseball yesterday.  That’s not to say Kopech wasn’t missing his spots badly or even tipping his pitches, but that seems like an alarming number.  

Well the Giants hit like 25 of them yesterday so that kind of skews the statistics.

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, wegner said:

Well the Giants hit like 25 of them yesterday so that kind of skews the statistics.

😂  

Kopech at 94-95 gives me the same concerns as Giolito at 92-93.  Not sure if either of those can be more than average at best. 

47 minutes ago, wegner said:

No doubt Kopech served up quite a few.  I just think there is evidence that the balls are jumping around baseball again and it isn’t isolated to a bad outing here or there. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

No doubt Kopech served up quite a few.  I just think there is evidence that the balls are jumping around baseball again and it isn’t isolated to a bad outing here or there. 

Are you insinuating that Major League baseball would doctor the balls used in some fashion?

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kopech will be fine

Let's hope so. He had a poor spring giving up 11 runs in 12 inning but you can only take so much out of Spring training results. Hopefully he shows more next start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Let's hope so. He had a poor spring giving up 11 runs in 12 inning but you can only take so much out of Spring training results. Hopefully he shows more next start.

Cease had a bad spring too and looked like the best pitcher on the planet the other day.  These guys don't really care about ST.  They're just warming their arms up. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cease had a bad spring too and looked like the best pitcher on the planet the other day.  These guys don't really care about ST.  They're just warming their arms up. 

But Kopech was still just warming his arm up yesterday as well.  Hopefully next start will be an improvement.  

I'm pretty sure he was tipping his pitches.  

I was sitting 18 rows up on the on deck circle for the Giants and right after Joc hit the 1st HR, he immediately talked to the next hitter about it as he returned to the dugout from circling the bases. 

Joc was all over Kopech in the 3 ABs he faced him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I was sitting 18 rows up on the on deck circle for the Giants and right after Joc hit the 1st HR, he immediately talked to the next hitter about it as he returned to the dugout from circling the bases. 

Yeah you often don't see ML teams hit that many homers in a row. Kopech made some bad pitches, but not all of them were asking to get hit 400+ feet. 

I remember Cleveland scored 6 or 7 runs off him in one inning back in 2021 and he was throwing hard with great stuff. It could be that he was tipping back then and is still doing it now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

That might make more sense 

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Not to go all conspiracy theory but 53 home runs were hit across baseball yesterday.  That’s not to say Kopech wasn’t missing his spots badly or even tipping his pitches, but that seems like an alarming number.  

Was watching some highlights last night and it looked like the ball was jumping of the bats. What looked like normal swings that would result in a fly ball were 5 rows deep

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

😂  

Kopech at 94-95 gives me the same concerns as Giolito at 92-93.  Not sure if either of those can be more than average at best. 

That's a great point and I totally agree. These are both huge concerns.

When Giolito had his best year in 2019 he was consistently at 95-97 and threw that no hitter and made the all-star team. Giolito that year struck out 228 in only 176 innings and had a 3.41 ERA. The fact he was so effective was because he could hit those higher 90's with his 4 seamer high fastballs consistently. This of course as we recall, made his change-up probably one the best in baseball. Now that Giolito's fastball is slower, his change is not nearly as effective to cause so many swing and misses. I am not saying Lucas can't still be a good pitcher, but if he ever is going to be an above average pitcher again, it will only be because he develops another pitch or two and strengthens his current secondary pitches and masters the location of them.

With Kopech, when he was healthy and doing his best pitching regardless of him being wild, he was upper 90's (96-99) with great movement on his fastball. Again like Lucas, this made his slider and curve look so much better. Plus those two secondary pitches had much more better movement and location than...they they do now.

In my opinion we have more serious issues with both of them. I personally feel unless they both of them develop other strong pitches to add to the current mix, which they now desperately need to make up for their loss of a dominant fastball, then they might never be that good again. It's either that, or somehow miraculously they both get their fastballs back. I also realize realistically you can't start in the early season and drop what you're doing and just learn and master new pitches. This is a huge problem and I'm not panicking just because of one start from each. 

I truly hope they both can be saved because the original rebuild was about these two being big time starters for us. 

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I that could be part of it, but I think more of it is he has a serious loss of velocity on his fastball and his secondary pitches don't have the same sharp bit like they used to have.

However if that is the case then Katz better be figuring this out and fixing it. Katz better be spending a lot of time right now watching the previous video of when Kopech was dominant and compare it to now and figure out why in the hell he is tipping his pitches.

• Like 1

Grifol saw no reason to even start the bullpen going while people in the stands were complaining about the fact that no one was even up in the bullpen....even after Kopech allowed 3 home runs.  Instead Grifol let Kopech get pummeled which put the home opener all but out of reach. It truly felt like a beat down. At minimum,  Grifol /Katz should have made a mound visit and told Kopech to throw high, inside fastballs to back some of these Hank Aarons off the plate.

I guess that job is now left for Cease...

Edited by tray
  • Like 1