How many wins do you need by the ASB to still be IN?

Greg Hibbard

How many wins by the ASB (92 team games)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins?

• 52 or more wins
    • 48 to 51 wins
    • 45 to 47 wins
    • 43 to 45 wins
    • I’m in with any number even below 42

In as in "in the race?"  Within 5 games of .500.
Regardless, I really don't want Hahn effing with things during the season.  It won't go well it; rarely does.  It will just be salary dumping for maybe $.50 on the dollar.

Edited by GreenSox

I think it is too early to determine that. As long as the Central is mediocre, the Sox can trend at .500 till August and then push into  the 1st spot in September in the Central. However, if any Central team other than Sox opens up a large lead, then trending at .500 may put the Sox outside looking in if multiple East or West  teams  are having good years. 

Seen way too many Sox teams over the years that were right around .500 at the ASB only to utterly dissolve in the second half.  Actually, I don't think I've ever once in my life see a happy ending from that.  They should be 8 over at least, I don't think thats asking for much.

If they're not in contention though, whats the point in even bothering to blow it up?  Hahn is still GM and Jerry will still be the owner, so its moot.

30 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Seen way too many Sox teams over the years that were right around .500 at the ASB only to utterly dissolve in the second half.  Actually, I don't think I've ever once in my life see a happy ending from that.  They should be 8 over at least, I don't think thats asking for much.

If they're not in contention though, whats the point in even bothering to blow it up?  Hahn is still GM and Jerry will still be the owner, so its moot.

1983 was a bad start then an insanely hot last 100 games. 

Edit: I checked and it was something like 79-38 over their last 117. Wow. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

Yeah, the second half 2003/2006/2010/2012 disappointing finishes stay with you.

2000 team fell apart pitching-wise and offense cooled off...dead team walking when Seattle series started.

Basically 1984 and 2008...and that was a battle for survival with the Twins down the stretch after Quentin broke his hamate and lost the MVP.

So twice in roughly 40 years?   Not exactly the greatest of odds.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, the second half 2003/2006/2010/2012 disappointing finishes stay with you.

2000 team fell apart pitching-wise and offense cooled off...dead team walking when Seattle series started.

Basically 1984 and 2008...and that was a battle for survival with the Twins down the stretch after Quentin broke his hamate and lost the MVP.

So twice in roughly 40 years?   Not exactly the greatest of odds.   Even 2020/21 teams faded down the stretch.

13 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

So let’s get into this now, since so many people seem to want to be OUT on this team in the first week.

What is the number of wins the Sox have to have by the all star break to make you believe and be IN on this team?

First week? We've been mediocre at best since ASB 2021. We were also mediocre second half of 2020 as well. This is who this team has proven to be. Singles and hits that don't drive in many runs. No power. No bullpen. Leaky starting pitching. And of course, hurt Eloy. I'll enjoy the season for the most part because it is baseball, but it is clear this team is not a contender. 

• Like 1