Middleton Called Up

Heads22

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Either that or the Sox will wait two weeks, play shorthanded, before finally figuring out that he's not getting better and THEN IL him. 

They were quick to IL Eloy, so maybe they’ll handle injuries better than last year.

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Either that or the Sox will wait two weeks, play shorthanded, before finally figuring out that he's not getting better and THEN IL him. 

That...very clearly hasn't been the approach this year? Eloy could probably DH tomorrow, but they IL'd him anyway to get Burger up and not be shorthanded for even a few days.

40 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Twins also aren't in the middle of a supposed "contention window" either after going through a painful rebuild. 

Twins are likely better and have more depth both on their team and in the minors. Our one advantage is Cease. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Twins also aren't in the middle of a supposed "contention window" either after going through a painful rebuild. 

That said...other than their bottom out year, with that pitching staff and Correa Buxton they certainly are expected to be competitive this year.

They have weathered a long string of prospect injuries like Lewis and Kiriloff but the bulk of their young pitching talent has yet to arrive.

Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why MLB hasn't instituted a hockey-like rule saying any player leaving the dugout during an altercation will be suspended is beyond me. Pace of play is also affected by the needless massive congregation of players out there.

This, plus a "third man in" rule.
I'm guessing that, for example, if it's just a batter vs. pitcher, the batter ends up potentially with the catcher + the full infield to deal with in close proximity.

If you have a "third man in" type of rule, you remove the need to "support" anyone.

Not sure how you do it without officially sanctioning fighting, but I basically agree with you. It's beyond ridiculous to have the bullpens and benches empty every f'ing time.

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why MLB hasn't instituted a hockey-like rule saying any player leaving the dugout during an altercation will be suspended is beyond me. Pace of play is also affected by the needless massive congregation of players out there.

Probably because there are 9 players from one team on the field and at most 4 from the other team.

46 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Probably because there are 9 players from one team on the field and at most 4 from the other team.

See: my response above.
On a comedic level, it would be fun to see league-sanctioned 1 on 1's like in hockey (note: I'm actually a proponent of banning fighting in hockey). Just imagine something like Oneil Cruz vs. Lance Lynn, with someone like Joe West trying to break it up.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

That's easily overcome just by saying to stay at your position

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

This, plus a "third man in" rule.
I'm guessing that, for example, if it's just a batter vs. pitcher, the batter ends up potentially with the catcher + the full infield to deal with in close proximity.

If you have a "third man in" type of rule, you remove the need to "support" anyone.

Not sure how you do it without officially sanctioning fighting, but I basically agree with you. It's beyond ridiculous to have the bullpens and benches empty every f'ing time.

I agree. Players already on the field need to hold their ground and not become involved. You aren't actually sanctioning fighting. Most scrums don't happen because of a fight but words exchanged and menacing movements. There are 4 umpires who can intervene. While it might suck for players to not support a team mate, the skirmish will be over much more quickly. Most actual fights happen when a batter charges the mound. Once an automated strike zone happens, Umps can be younger and more physically able to break up fights. It's not ideal now with so many older umpires who would have to intervene in fights.