4/12 - Sox @ Twins: Let’s Win the Series

ChiSox59

As we sit here in April of 2023, looking at the lineup, against the team that is currently first in your division, with a chance to win the series, I can only think of this interview from Rick in 2019

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

As we sit here in April of 2023, looking at the lineup, against the team that is currently first in your division, with a chance to win the series, I can only think of this interview from Rick in 2019

Oh my. Ohhh myyy...Rick. You better win the world series this year. 

14 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Lineup is fine given what we have to work with. Sheets has been great at the plate. Have to sacrifice defense for offense. Not ideal but I get it. Alberto is really the only issue but again it's a roster construction thing. 

Unless these guys complaining about Grifol's line-up know of some hidden all-stars he is not starting...

He can only work with what he is given.

Sox require a number of quality reserves given their injury issues. However others like the Twins are in a similar situation. Conditioning should provide more emphasis on flexibility and avoiding injuries.

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Sox require a number of quality reserves given their injury issues. However others like the Twins are in a similar situation. Conditioning should provide more emphasis on flexibility and avoiding injuries.

The Twins did do a better job insulating for it, however, adding solid major league vets like Farmer, Solano and Taylor for their bench while Sox added Billy Hamilton,  Jake Marisnick and Hanser Alberto. 

None of those guys for the Twins are necessarily guys you want starting for long stretches of the season - and they already are for the Twins as they're every bit as banged up as the Sox - but they aren't going to kill you.   

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Who would you start with your three top players on the IL?

Easy. 
LF - Beni
CF - Robert
1B - Vaughn
DH- Grandal
3B - Burger
RF - Colas
2B - Sosa
C - Zavala
SS - Andrus

This is a really needed win vs the division rival in first place. You do Not put sheets in RF (he could swap for Grandal at DH) and you don't put Alberto at 3B (why is burger even up if he won't start for yoan?) 

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am starting to get concerned about Pedro and Alberto. Hanser has shown no signs he is a major league quality defensive 3B. The options are certainly thin defensively without Moncada available, but have the last two days not been enough Hanser at 3B? Yikes. 

Agree.  When interviewed post game after their win on Monday, Alberto was quick to point out that Grifol talked him into an opportunity with the Sox.   Sounds like Luery 2.0 in Hahn allowing his manager to carry one teacher's pet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Only five in the starting lineup we probably wouldn’t have predicted three months ago, six if you count Grandal at DH. Definitely not very trusting with Burger defense at third considering how bad Alberto has been…

Luis Robert tied with Arraez and Outman for third overall in MLB fWAR.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0

Missed most of the telecast last night, but did Burger boot a ball or something playing 3B last night?

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Missed most of the telecast last night, but did Burger boot a ball or something playing 3B last night?

Alberto pinch-hit for Burger to lead off the 10th. Which is kinda weird, except that Burger is much more likely to strike out than Alberto (who was at least able to move the runner over with a GO).

Why on earth would Colas sit today. That's the biggest head scratcher of them all. It's a righty pitcher, we have a day off tomorrow, he's been one of your most consistent pieces. Pedro really knows how to kill momentum with these guys and these rest days. Just play them. Jeez. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Easy. 
LF - Beni
CF - Robert
1B - Vaughn
DH- Grandal
3B - Burger
RF - Colas
2B - Sosa
C - Zavala
SS - Andrus

This is a really needed win vs the division rival in first place. You do Not put sheets in RF (he could swap for Grandal at DH) and you don't put Alberto at 3B (why is burger even up if he won't start for yoan?) 

Still backup players who are not always consistent enough to start, See my point?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Still backup players who are not always consistent enough to start, See my point?

but optimizing what you have is what makes a good manager. this is the 3rd game in the last week that was more about getting people rest than trying to win. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

No, he only had 2 chances though.

Doesn't change the fact he posted -5 DRS is 37 games there in 2022, though.  I remain far from convinced Alberto is any better, however. 

23 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Why on earth would Colas sit today. That's the biggest head scratcher of them all. It's a righty pitcher, we have a day off tomorrow, he's been one of your most consistent pieces. Pedro really knows how to kill momentum with these guys and these rest days. Just play them. Jeez. 

Colas had awful at bats yesterday so not sure what momentum hed be riding there. I'll take Sheets at bats over his. So it's Grandal vs Colas getting abs + the defense difference. Probably a toss-up there but this isn't overly egregious.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am starting to get concerned about Pedro and Alberto. Hanser has shown no signs he is a major league quality defensive 3B. The options are certainly thin defensively without Moncada available, but have the last two days not been enough Hanser at 3B? Yikes. 

Hanser is Pedro's Leury Garcia. 

1 hour ago, RibbieRubarb said:

What I mean is.,.

These are all backup players who should only be spot starting not taking on full duties for an extended period of time.

Pedro can only start who he was given. Who is there that is consistent enough to be getting the nod? 
Depth is our issue and it always has been...

Where was this excuse last year? Tony got roasted over every little move he made. 

45 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Alberto pinch-hit for Burger to lead off the 10th. Which is kinda weird, except that Burger is much more likely to strike out than Alberto (who was at least able to move the runner over with a GO).

Alberto actually came in for defense for the bottom of the 9th.  So clearly Sox staff thinks Alberto is a better defender. 

Just got an email from the Sox. Tax Day tickets. Tickets for April and some May games from $4.15? Get it? Tax day, although Tax Day is 4/18 this year. So I clicked to check it out. They said due to high demand you are in a cue. 49 people ahead of me. I wonder how much they pay for that service. Like there's such high demand for White Sox tickets, Ticketmaster can't handle it. LMAO. I may have bought something if they didn't take me for such a fool.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Alberto actually came in for defense for the bottom of the 9th.  So clearly Sox staff thinks Alberto is a better defender. 

If that happened I missed it. According to MLB gameday he came in in the 10th as a pinch hitter. https://www.mlb.com/gameday/white-sox-vs-twins/2023/04/11/718616/final/summary/all

Regardless, I would agree with the Sox staff that Alberto has to be a better defender than Burger (despite the last couple days), but that's a low bar. It's like the Eloy vs. Vaughn/Sheets debates in the OF. A 5th percentile defender (if that) vs. a 25th percentile defender.

• Quin pinned this topic