The Pedro Hire

Tomtom

23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I feel like we've become the Orioles during that long stretch of years where they knew after two weeks they were out of it. I'd say the Royals, but our players are more well known than KC's. Most managers don't apply 'discipline' nowadays. Players won't stand for it. Pedro is just another guy but I'm willing to give him a chance. He has to be scared to death though knowing there's a great chance they can lose every time they take the field cause of what will happen in the last four innings with this pen. Yikes.

Eduardo Perez... his best friend and ESPN broadcaster, would have been the much better choice but why deal with an impossible situation? 

I don't know how anyone can properly evaluate Pedro right now. The bullpen is a complete mess right now, and they would make any manager look bad. If they pitched just middle of the pack this team would be sitting at .500 ball right now. Considering the human turd this team had the last two years running things, I'm willing to give Pedro a huge leash to try and right the ship. I can say with 100% certainty that TLR is by far the worst Sox manager I've ever seen in my lifetime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't know how anyone can properly evaluate Pedro right now. The bullpen is a complete mess right now, and they would make any manager look bad. If they pitched just middle of the pack this team would be sitting at .500 ball right now. Considering the human turd this team had the last two years running things, I'm willing to give Pedro a huge leash to try and right the ship. I can say with 100% certainty that TLR is by far the worst Sox manager I've ever seen in my lifetime.

A great bullpen can make any Manager a winner....

yost.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bobby Cox would struggle to play .500 with this team. 

We need to realize it's no longer the manager, the players are the issue.  Rick Hahn is the issue. 

The Sox have created a working environment where if you don't feel 100%, you are automatically told to sit down.   It's hard to build continuity with players not playing.  I'd like to ask Konerko and Abreu how often they felt 100% when out on that field.    You have to push yourself to play over pain.   The Sox have created a clubhouse where players accept quitting. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Bobby Cox would struggle to play .500 with this team. 

We need to realize it's no longer the manager, the players are the issue.  Rick Hahn is the issue. 

The Sox have created a working environment where if you don't feel 100%, you are automatically told to sit down.   It's hard to build continuity with players not playing.  I'd like to ask Konerko and Abreu how often they felt 100% when out on that field.    You have to push yourself to play over pain.   The Sox have created a clubhouse where players accept quitting. 

Quentin Dye Thome AJ Everett Uribe Crede Rowand etc. 

Those players loved to play hard and almost never sat unless they had no other alternative. 

Different breed of ballplayers back then. 

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

but but but they did relay and sliding drills during spring training and guys were playing cards in the clubhouse!

Maybe I’m a skeptic, but I’m not sure how much a manager can do to reverse a fundamental, organizational dysfunction at the level of the white sox in a matter of eight weeks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soxrwhite said:

Lets see, Al Lopez a winner but not so well liked by his players, Eddie Stanky universally detested in MLB circles, Ozzie excommunicated, Joe Gerardi considered a jerk. So who fits that mold? A.J Pierzinski is up next.

In Stanky's defense he was also considered a tactical genius, usually two steps ahead of the opposing manager. And I've interviewed a good number of guys he managed, some didn't get along with him...some did. Kind of a mixed bag.

Players told me Stanky would also randomly go up to a guy on the bench and ask him, "How many outs are there?" or "What's the count."

And you damn well better know the correct answer or you'd be fined. He wanted guys to keep their heads in the game.   

1 hour ago, Soxfest said:

Pedro is way over his head, KC new regime would not even give him a courtesy interview. He is total lip service and fits in with current management group. This hire is in the Terry Bevington category. 

This actually could be true. We'll find out. We have no other choice.

Pedro is only 16 games into his managerial career and whilst he has made some decisions that have turned out wrong it is a bit early to write him off completely.

His potential over-use of starters may say more about his lack of confidence in the bullpen, and when choosing relievers he is pretty limited when so many of them seem to be pitching badly. Maybe he has used Diekman too much but he hardly has any in form alternatives, Bummer is giving away games, Lopez has blown games and Graveman has been equally bad, and they are the 3 'best' relievers we have fit and well.

The offense is looking potentially better than last season but once again injuries are depriving the team of some of its better hitters and the replacements are, with the exception of Burger, pretty poor. We all knew there were holes all over the line up even with a healthy team, but when you remove so many of the round pegs you are bound to end up with square pegs for round holes.

Pedro might turn out to be an below average manager or an above average manager but with this squad the chance of him showing his true abilities are severely limited by the squad Hahn and co have botched together.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Those players loved to play hard and almost never sat unless they had no other alternative. 

I have to laugh at Quentin being on this list.

21 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I have to laugh at Quentin being on this list.

He and Rowand got hurt all the time but at least they played hard and tried to play through pain/injuries.

Plantar fasciitis is no joke.  The worst... along with obliques. 

Obviously the hamate was his fault because he was too tightly wound like Konerko and couldn't get out if his own head. 

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yea Ozzie never did Sunday lineups that we all hated 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

He and Rowand got hurt all the time but at least they played hard and tried to play through pain/injuries.

Plantar fasciitis is no joke.  The worst... along with obliques. 

Obviously the hamate was his fault because he was too tightly wound like Konerko and couldn't get out if his own head. 

They got hurt, frequently , which is funny because your point is they never sit

It strikes me that the Lat-Am contingent require a different motivation approach than WS are able to provide. If/unless you can draft these kids AND put them on an effective development path (both physically and mentally) we might want to focus on drafting and/or trading for more finished products...perhaps kids who have demonstrated success at winning college programs. Its disappointing but, to me, there appears to be no cohesive framework for how this team is constructed. No obvious onfield/clubhouse leadership. Just a bunch of talented yet flawed individual contributors from different backgrounds w/o a common guidepost. Oh well.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They got hurt, frequently , which is funny because your point is they never sit

There's a completely different pain. threshold in. this generation of position players than the 90s and 2000's guys. 

Everyday players were expected to give 145-150 games per season... other than catcher. 

Like Abreu (the only exception),  those players would beg and plead borrow and steal to stay in the lineup each and every day. 

We had/have one player like that in Jose Abreu the manager was almost afraid to take out of the starting group. 

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

In Stanky's defense he was also considered a tactical genius, usually two steps ahead of the opposing manager. And I've interviewed a good number of guys he managed, some didn't get along with him...some did. Kind of a mixed bag.

Players told me Stanky would also randomly go up to a guy on the bench and ask him, "How many outs are there?" or "What's the count."

And you damn well better know the correct answer or you'd be fined. He wanted guys to keep their heads in the game.   

If he asked today he would need to speak Spanish.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There's a completely different pain. threshold in. this generation of position players than the 90s and 2000's guys. 

Everyday players were expected to give 145-150 games per season... other than catcher. 

Like Abreu (the only exception),  those players would beg and plead borrow and steal to stay in the lineup each and every day. 

We had/have one player like that in Jose Abreu the manager was almost afraid to take out of the starting group. 

So you are moving your own goalposts?  What’s the argument here, all of those guys were iron men players for the Sox except the ones the weren’t due to nostalgic reasons?  And they remain on the list because they were cool?

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

So you are moving your own goalposts?  What’s the argument here, all of those guys were iron men players for the Sox except the ones the weren’t due to nostalgic reasons?  And they remain on the list because they were cool?

I can go back and compare their average number of games played during their Sox careers very easily to Moncada Anderson Robert Jimenez etc. 

Same with Abreu and Jim Thome. 

This has been much/often discussed that "old school" Herm Schneider had the least amount of playing time lost to the disabled during his tenure than any trainer in baseball.  It was the one niche Sox advantage, other than the Cuban Connection.  And the team record under Schneider was also well above .500.  No correlation? 

So it's either players, training staffs, or a combination of both. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2