White Sox Trade

WBWSF

With Burger and Moncada on the team something has to give here. Burger can hit and can't field. Moncada can field and can't hit anymore. Can one of them be traded now? I don't know if trades are permitted now. Is there a certain date were a trade can be made? I don't know what the rules are anymore in regards to trading. Perhaps somebody can tell me if trades  can be made now.

Trades. Teams may trade only players currently under contract. Trades between two or more major-league teams may freely occur at any time during a window that opens two days after the starting date of the final game of the most recent World Series and closes at 4 pm Eastern Daylight Time (UTC 2000) on July 31.

This roster cannot stay healthy.  Why are we trying to trade the spare parts?  While you theoretically can make trades in April/May, you'll be getting pennies on the dollar value wise.  What good does that do for the Sox?  Also, Moncada is due $29M next season including his $5M buyout on 2025 team option.  He is on the Sox for 2 more seasons; just have to hope he stays healthy and plays well.  Me thinks Moncada is going to want another payday, which is going to require him to stay on the field and be productive the next 18 months.  

Pedro has already said a few times Moncada isn't coming back until 100%.  When he does comes back, 3B is going to be his against RHP.  Which means one of AV or Eloy has to sit to get Burger in the lineup.  That shouldn't happened regularly, but also requires Eloy to stay healthy which is always a question mark.  Jake can get some 3B starts against LHP, pinch hit later in games, etc.  Its a nice problem to have.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm not trading anyone off the roster until I see where we stand in July. Maybe sooner if it looks like there is no hope.

If we can find takers, I'd dump Diekman in a heartbeat.

"Hey - looking for a bullpen arm who can make any game an 8-inning game? Yeah - bring this guy, and BOOM. Game over"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

If we can find takers, I'd dump Diekman in a heartbeat.

"Hey - looking for a bullpen arm who can make any game an 8-inning game? Yeah - bring this guy, and BOOM. Game over"

That’s a sunk cost

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm not trading anyone off the roster until I see where we stand in July. Maybe sooner if it looks like there is no hope.

Cease and Robert are the only two pieces that would bring back significant return at this point.  But if you go there you’re blowing it all up again.  Trading anything else feels like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.  And no one should want these dopes in charge of another rebuild. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

There’s this spot in the batting order called the DH where the player doesn’t have to play the field.  Perfect position for Burger.   Trade Eloy since he spends most of his time on the disabled list anyway.

I mean replacing him with a guy who spent 2 years away from the game after tearing his Achilles twice in a row doesn’t seem to be the greatest backup plan either ya know 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

With Burger and Moncada on the team something has to give here. Burger can hit and can't field. Moncada can field and can't hit anymore. Can one of them be traded now? I don't know if trades are permitted now. Is there a certain date were a trade can be made? I don't know what the rules are anymore in regards to trading. Perhaps somebody can tell me if trades  can be made now.

I agree one of these two needs to be traded, but now is too soon! Of the two I personally would trade Moncada and keep Burger. 

The right time to wait for a trade is further towards the trade deadline or when some team loses their third baseman on a serious injury or their 3B isn't hitting and that team feels they need a proven 3B to go for it in the playoffs. It would also be nice if Moncada could improve his production so his trade value could be better.

Burger has proven he is more valuable than Moncada going forward for the following reasons:

1. Jake is clearly better hitter. I'm done with this prayer and fantasy hoping Moncada has that kind of year he had in 2019.
2. Jake has put his early career injuries behind him and has proven he can stay consistently healthy. Moncada will never remain healthy and I'm done hoping Moncada will learn how get his body in the right shape to stay healthy.
3. Yes Jake is not as good in fielding as Moncada and the edge is huge for now. Yet Jake has done well so far only making one error. 
Plus in time, when Burger puts enough time in and he gets more games and reps, as well as working even harder at improving in the off season, 
I am confident he can become decent and serviceable at 3B.
4. Burger brings more passion and energy to this team and brings the "FUN" to the game, which the Sox so badly need. 

2023            G     AB    2B   HR  RBI's  BA   OBP   SLG    OPS

Moncada     9     39     4      2      5     .308  .325   .564     .889
Burger        12    26     2      5     10    .308  .367   .962   1.328

Just as a side note, Burger doesn't qualify obviously with enough AB's for MLB stat leaders, however to put Jake's SLG and OPS in perspective, the MLB leader in both thus far is:

Matt Chapman (Tor)  in both SLG% - .785 and OPS% - .1287

Edited by The Kids Can Play

17 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

There’s this spot in the batting order called the DH where the player doesn’t have to play the field.  Perfect position for Burger.   Trade Eloy since he spends most of his time on the disabled list anyway.

All these calls from Sox fans to DFA or trade Eloy are so funny to me.  Yes, he gets hurt alot.  But that's the same reason he has minimal trade value.  You could maybeeeeee get a back-end top 100 prospect type for him in July if he hasn't missed a bunch more time and is within spitting distance of  his career line of .273/.325/.496.  I do think his contract still has value ($27M guaranteed in 23, 24 and 25 buyout), and those 25 and 26 options are pretty fair at $16.5M and $18.5M, but the same reason some cohort of Sox fans want to dump Eloy is the same reason he won't bring you a big return.  He's the one guy on this team that can realistically hit .300 and pop 40+ homers.  There is no good reason to trade him, especially when you have decent in-house DH options in Burger and Sheets to fill in when he does get hurt.   

Now if Eloy stays healthy and rakes the next 2.5 months and the Sox still find themselves 10 GB, sure, by all means field offers and try to sell high.  But selling low certainly isn't the answer to what ails the Sox. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This roster cannot stay healthy.  Why are we trying to trade the spare parts?  While you theoretically can make trades in April/May, you'll be getting pennies on the dollar value wise.  What good does that do for the Sox?  Also, Moncada is due $29M next season including his $5M buyout on 2025 team option.  He is on the Sox for 2 more seasons; just have to hope he stays healthy and plays well.  Me thinks Moncada is going to want another payday, which is going to require him to stay on the field and be productive the next 18 months.  

Pedro has already said a few times Moncada isn't coming back until 100%.  When he does comes back, 3B is going to be his against RHP.  Which means one of AV or Eloy has to sit to get Burger in the lineup.  That shouldn't happened regularly, but also requires Eloy to stay healthy which is always a question mark.  Jake can get some 3B starts against LHP, pinch hit later in games, etc.  Its a nice problem to have.  

Eloy will probably get some more time in the corner OF spots once Moncada is back, allowing Burger to DH. Especially for Colas who has been a bit up and down lately (not unexpected for a rookie).

Agreed with the "nice problem to have" comment, especially when a few of the rotating players having had nagging injuries early on (Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn) that could use a day off every once in awhile, and Colas being a rookie.

54 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I agree one of these two needs to be traded, but now is too soon! Of the two I personally would trade Moncada and keep Burger. 

The right time to wait for a trade is further towards the trade deadline or when some team loses their third baseman on a serious injury or their 3B isn't hitting and that team feels they need a proven 3B to go for it in the playoffs. It would also be nice if Moncada could improve his production so his trade value could be better.

Burger has proven he is more valuable than Moncada going forward for the following reasons:

1. Jake is clearly better hitter. I'm done with this prayer and fantasy hoping Moncada has that kind of year he had in 2019.
2. Jake has put his early career injuries behind him and has proven he can stay consistently healthy. Moncada will never remain healthy and I'm done hoping Moncada will learn how get his body in the right shape to stay healthy.
3. Yes Jake is not as good in fielding as Moncada and the edge is huge for now. Yet Jake has done well so far only making one error. 
Plus in time, when Burger puts enough time in and he gets more games and reps, as well as working even harder at improving in the off season, 
I am confident he can become decent and serviceable at 3B.
4. Burger brings more passion and energy to this team and brings the "FUN" to the game, which the Sox so badly need. 

2023            G     AB    2B   HR  RBI's  BA   OBP   SLG    OPS

Moncada     9     39     4      2      5     .308  .325   .564     .889
Burger        12    26     2      5     10    .308  .367   .962   1.328

Just as a side note, Burger doesn't qualify obviously with enough AB's for MLB stat leaders, however to put Jake's SLG and OPS in perspective, the MLB leader in both thus far is:

Matt Chapman (Tor)  in both SLG% - .785 and OPS% - .1287

Burger has had plenty of his own random injuries, even since the Achilles issues. I don't think he's a better bet to stay healthy than Moncada.

If Moncada is healthy and productive, he has MVP-candidate potential. Obviously that's a huge "if", but Jake Burger is a very flawed baseball player even at his best. He still can be useful, especially if he continues to mash against both sides of the plate, but dumping Moncada for Burger would be incredibly short-sighted.

My personal opinion is there is no reason to not go all in on this roster. There is no "sustained success" in the minors coming up. There is zero help in Rick Hahn doing a rebuild on the fly, which he has failed at, or a full rebuild, which he has failed at. 

He has also failed at putting a roster over the top.

But anyway. I love colson montgomery. I love Mena. I will not get enjoyment watching a team with a great colson montgomery and Mena surrounded by like some bullshit slappy first baseman playing outfield.

Time for hahn to lose some trades. Send out Montgomery to the tigers for Baez and salary relief. Shoot Mena out of a cannon to the pirates for like mitch keller. You are gonna say like "these are bad trades!" of course they are. They will be disasters. Let's burn the ships man.

• Like 1

Ah yes, another Moncada hate boner thread. Especially because he came out blazing and is one of your few lefty (well, switch hitter) bats.

Eloy and Sheets are the ones who would be looking over the shoulder if Burger keeps mashing, not Moncada. You get rid of another iron glove, not one of your best defenders. But also, with this team's record of staying healthy, pulling a trigger right now would be fool hardy at best.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Eloy will probably get some more time in the corner OF spots once Moncada is back, allowing Burger to DH. Especially for Colas who has been a bit up and down lately (not unexpected for a rookie).

Agreed with the "nice problem to have" comment, especially when a few of the rotating players having had nagging injuries early on (Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn) that could use a day off every once in awhile, and Colas being a rookie.

With respect to Eloy in the OF, I guess it depends on what your definition of more time is.  More than 1 start in the OF in 18 games like we've seen so far?  Yeah, probably.  But the Sox aren't going to sit Colas often versus RHP, IMO.  They also know Eloy is risk to himself and everyone around him in the OF.  

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

And you want to be my General Manager..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1