The Chris Getz Era

Harold's Leg Lift

16 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

The sad thing about the Sox promoting someone within for the GM gig would be that the gig would be highly coveted since it’s Chicago. People would line up for it. 

Your damn straight they would! Especially if Jerry was smart enough copy like what the Dodgers did when they recruited the GM Andrew Friedman away from Tampa Bay back in 2014 and made him the President  of the Dodgers total baseball operations. Then let the new Sox President hire his own GM and front office people. Just go find one of the top GM's from one of the highly consistent winning baseball organizations. Give him a big new title as president in charge of total baseball operations and a huge new increased contract like the Dodgers did with Friedman. If Jerry did that, you're damn right many successful GM's would leave their current team and want this Sox job. Sadly as we all know, this will never happen under Jerry. 

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Congratulations to Brian Anderson, the one-time White Sox center fielder, who has returned to the Chicago area as an assistant baseball coach for Northwestern University... 

Brian Anderson yet another failed Sox prospect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Congratulations to Brian Anderson, the one-time White Sox center fielder, who has returned to the Chicago area as an assistant baseball coach for Northwestern University... 

He's the reason the Aron Rowand  Jim Thome trade was made. He would take over centerfield. He had a few good moments, A 3 homer game in Seattle?

2 hours ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

It's not the job of the GM to win championships, that's on the players and coaches. It's the job of the GM to put their team in position to win a championship. The Dodgers and Rays have been up there for most of the past decade.

Point taken but maybe they simply put them in a position to almost win. Either ya do or ya don't. Everyone has a reason why they didn't. If you don't believe me just ask'em.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

He's the reason the Aron Rowand  Jim Thome trade was made. He would take over centerfield. He had a few good moments, A 3 homer game in Seattle?

No that was a two homer game in Seattle.

I was told by one of the beat writers at the time the reason the Sox soured on both him and Brandon McCarthy was because both weren't shall we say being 'dedicated' to their craft instead preferring the night life. 

They told me an example of a game before Cleveland. The Sox had video of that night's pitcher being shown and a lot of the veterans were watching it. In another location Anderson and a second player (I was never told who that was) were watching cartoons. Let's just say the veterans noticed. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, soxrwhite said:

Point taken but maybe they simply put them in a position to almost win. Either ya do or ya don't. Everyone has a reason why they didn't. If you don't believe me just ask'em.

If your team is routinely finishing with one of the top records in baseball during the regular season, it's hard to see what more the front office could have done. Especially for a team like the Rays that has their own payroll limitations. That front office has worked miracles the past decade.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Are you really blaming him for all those years of awful Hostetler/Haber drafts?  He's bad at his job because he couldn't turn years of chicken s%*# $10,000 money savers so they could overpay bad college corners into chicken salad?  That's certainly a take.  

Nope. I’m not sure he’s done anything to prove that he knows what he’s doing though. I’ve bemoaned the lack of prep players in those drafts for years. Overslotting college players in round 2 is dumb. Hostetler drafted quite a few big leaguers but very few stars. Jerry didn’t want to spend $6-$7 million on prep players at the top either. 

13 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

He said he’s leaving the team after his current contract is over. I’m taking him at his word. 

I heard that. Not sure when it is and some beat writers have told me they don’t believe it to be soon 

12 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I agree with this. Those Hostetler drafts really set the team back, I can’t say that enough. 

2015: Carson Fulmer

2016: Zack Collins/Zack Burdi

2017: Jake Burger

2018: Nick Madrigal

2019: Andrew Vaughn

Vaughn is the only regular player of that group but I still had reservations about that pick. I’d like to see more power but he’s panning out so far considering his mismanagement.

The rebuild failed with that run of horrible draft picks. 

He didn’t draft Carson Fulmer. That was Doug Laumann’s parting gift. But yeah. Not great 

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The top of the draft was horrible but  what is also killing them now was the reluctance to draft HS players in the later rounds.  Those players would be in the high minors right now providing depth but instead they had to take a bunch of college seniors who can't play dead because they had to overpay those awful top selections.  That was the draft strategy of the three ring circus of Hahn/Haber/Hostetler and trying to blame the current awful system on Getz is beyond ridiculous. 

It’s a two way street. They draft poorly and don’t develop enough players consistently. 

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Shirley hasn't had quite enough time but at least he's a legit outsider and thus much more likely to be honest/objective.

He’s not an outsider at all. He’s worked for the White Sox for like 20 years. I have confidence in Mike Shirley. They need to completely clean house but Jerry is a coward and won’t do it. I just assume Getz will be the GM so Kenny Williams Jr can take over as farm director. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nope. I’m not sure he’s done anything to prove that he knows what he’s doing though. I’ve bemoaned the lack of prep players in those drafts for years. Overslotting college players in round 2 is dumb. Hostetler drafted quite a few big leaguers but very few stars. Jerry didn’t want to spend $6-$7 million on prep players at the top either. 

I heard that. Not sure when it is and some beat writers have told me they don’t believe it to be soon 

He didn’t draft Carson Fulmer. That was Doug Laumann’s parting gift. But yeah. Not great 

It’s a two way street. They draft poorly and don’t develop enough players consistently. 

He’s not an outsider at all. He’s worked for the White Sox for like 20 years. I have confidence in Mike Shirley. They need to completely clean house but Jerry is a coward and won’t do it. I just assume Getz will be the GM so Kenny Williams Jr can take over as farm director. 

I've been told his deal is up after next year.

36 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I've been told his deal is up after next year.

2013 Hahn starts

2023 KW and Hahn both depart... ten years is more than enough evidence accumulating to make significant changes. 

A decade of all Sox fan lives is a pretty precious commodity that's being taken for granted. 

On 4/20/2023 at 10:37 PM, caulfield12 said:

2013 Hahn starts

2023 KW and Hahn both depart... ten years is more than enough evidence accumulating to make significant changes. 

A decade of all Sox fan lives is a pretty precious commodity that's being taken for granted. 

This makes sense to me, however Jerry is in his 80s, not his 60s, and the White Sox are his play thing, not the family business. 

If the family has no interest in the White Sox, don't expect anything to happen while the old man is in charge.

11 minutes ago, Vacheron said:

It seems reasonably likely the White Sox are sold post-Jerry

And we will all celebrate the team changing hands.  But until that point, replacing Hahn with Getz is just more of the same.  I would welcome it, but it does nothing to alter expectations. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tnetennba said:

And we will all celebrate the team changing hands.  But until that point, replacing Hahn with Getz is just more of the same.  I would welcome it, but it does nothing to alter expectations. 

Agreed. I'm solidly in "why bother?" mode. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

"Shirley served as assistant scouting director to Nick Hostetler, who was promoted to special assistant to the general manager with a focus on Major League scouting as announced by the team in July. So, don’t look for the White Sox Draft philosophy to change a great deal under Shirley....

Garrett Guest, who also was an assistant scouting director under Hostetler, and national crosschecker Nathan Durst will continue to play an important role in Chicago's Draft preparation. That groundwork already has begun, with Shirley centering his theory for success on a team of people needed to make this White Sox team even stronger.

“I’m a testament you can work hard and get where you want to get,” Shirley said. “We have great people who will be sitting in my chair one day who are out doing what I did for years. It’s awesome. It’s exciting to be part of a White Sox family I care about and get a chance to lead these people. I’m looking forward to it."

mlb.com

Not exactly comforting they want to continue carrying on anything to do with Hostetler's tutelage... he was awful but still received the Buddy Bell lifetime promotion upstairs. 

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

"Shirley served as assistant scouting director to Nick Hostetler, who was promoted to special assistant to the general manager with a focus on Major League scouting as announced by the team in July. So, don’t look for the White Sox Draft philosophy to change a great deal under Shirley....

Garrett Guest, who also was an assistant scouting director under Hostetler, and national crosschecker Nathan Durst will continue to play an important role in Chicago's Draft preparation. That groundwork already has begun, with Shirley centering his theory for success on a team of people needed to make this White Sox team even stronger.

“I’m a testament you can work hard and get where you want to get,” Shirley said. “We have great people who will be sitting in my chair one day who are out doing what I did for years. It’s awesome. It’s exciting to be part of a White Sox family I care about and get a chance to lead these people. I’m looking forward to it."

mlb.com

Not exactly comforting they want to continue carrying on anything to do with Hostetler's tutelage... he was awful but still received the Buddy Bell lifetime promotion upstairs. 

Hostetler drafted a bunch of big leaguers. Shirley has been much different so far in style but the owner wanted college players in the top 10. It always comes back to Jerry 

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hostetler drafted a bunch of big leaguers. Shirley has been much different so far in style but the owner wanted college players in the top 10. It always comes back to Jerry 

If taking Madrigal and Vaughn was because Jerry said so and not because they were the best players on their board, then this team is more fucked than I thought. There truly might be no hope until new ownership. 

• Fire 2