Kenny Williams speaks...

Lip Man 1

Actually has some candid comments to the Sun-Times.

Some that give you hope:

If the Sox aren’t who they thought they were — a team with the expectation of still winning the division, Williams said — “then changes have to be made, it’s as simple as that.”

“It’s professional sports,” he said. “There’s no way around it and that’s whether it’s in the clubhouse or here with us in the front office.”

Some that make you laugh out loud:

“Accountability around here is not a problem.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/4/25/23697737/williams-on-white-sox-struggles-im-not-in-a-good-place-right-now?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=042523 Afternoon Edition&utm_content=042523 Afternoon Edition+CID_345f7f6a25d176d6d40140834ab3e2b4&utm_source=cst campaign monitor&utm_term=executive vice president Ken Williams says hes not in a good place right now&tpcc=042523 Afternoon Edition

• Thanks 1

To me the more interesting quote was before the laughable accountability one:

“It’s really time to put our best foot forward here,” Williams said.

And if they don’t? Williams said he wasn’t putting Hahn or anyone else in the front office on notice by saying changes would have to be made if the Sox don’t win.

“No, that’s ultimately ownership call,” Williams said. “I’m talking about the realities of sports. When you do not accomplish the goal at hand, and you’ve been given the opportunities we’ve been fortunate to be given to try to rebuild this thing, to tear it down and rebuild it — and we were on the right track and right now the train is off the rails a little bit — it would be naïve of me to think if things don’t correct themselves that we wouldn’t be looked at as well. As it should be.

So what exactly is KW's role? It was assumed by many he was basically just a scout + advisor but does he actually still have executive responsibilities? He's claiming it's JR, which is fine, but there's so many questions about what exactly his role is, how it impacts the org, and so on.

There has never been any accountability when it comes to you KW ever. You have a job for life, If the Sox don’t win another game all year, you will still be employed. This is the biggest crock of 💩statement from KW.

Edited by Soxfest
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When you do not accomplish the goal at hand, and you’ve been given the opportunities we’ve been fortunate to be given to try to rebuild this thing, to tear it down and rebuild it

I guess "fortunate" is one way to describe it.

Literally no professional GM/president in the history of ever have been given as many chances and failed attempts as Rick and Kenny have.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Finding Robert granted him another 20 years.

After he got stuck with Rios, he should have had to find 2 Mike Trouts to make up for that shitshow....although he did flip him for Leury later....make that 3 Mike Trouts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a feeling Kenny’s “accountability” comment is going to go in White Sox lore like these other gems:

“We’re going to make this a first-class organization.” – Eddie Einhorn 1/29/81 

“Wherever you’re at, Harry (Caray) and Jimmy (Piersall), eat your hearts out. I hope people realize what scum you are.” – Jerry Reinsdorf 9/17/83 

“Our goal is to have a team that is a contender every year.”Jerry Reinsdorf 9/18/83 

“We feel we owe this town a winner or a contender every year.”Jerry Reinsdorf 10/2/85 

“The fact is, Larry Himes cannot get along with anybody. You can hardly find anybody in the Sox organization that wasn’t happy when Larry Himes left.” Jerry Reinsdorf September 1990.

“I’m a dove until they strike” – Jerry Reinsdorf August 1994

“Anyone who thinks this Sox team can catch Cleveland is crazy.” – Jerry Reinsdorf 7/31/97

“You can’t spend a dollar if you only have fifty cents” – Kenny Williams

“Talk to me after the parade” – Rick Hahn

“There are fans out there who want the rebuild to fail so they can say, ‘I told you so’” – Rick Hahn

White Sox fans don’t forget…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 3

50 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So what exactly is KW's role? It was assumed by many he was basically just a scout + advisor but does he actually still have executive responsibilities? He's claiming it's JR, which is fine, but there's so many questions about what exactly his role is, how it impacts the org, and so on.

He's involved in all major decisions on and off the field just like JR.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Some that give you hope:

If the Sox aren’t who they thought they were — a team with the expectation of still winning the division, Williams said — “then changes have to be made, it’s as simple as that.”

“It’s professional sports,” he said. “There’s no way around it and that’s whether it’s in the clubhouse or here with us in the front office.”

Some that make you laugh out loud:

“Accountability around here is not a problem.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/4/25/23697737/williams-on-white-sox-struggles-im-not-in-a-good-place-right-now?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=042523 Afternoon Edition&utm_content=042523 Afternoon Edition+CID_345f7f6a25d176d6d40140834ab3e2b4&utm_source=cst campaign monitor&utm_term=executive vice president Ken Williams says hes not in a good place right now&tpcc=042523 Afternoon Edition

I have to let the general manager do what makes the most sense, or I can't hold him accountable. Jerry Reinsdorf

• Hawk 2

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It would be interesting to know just how often Kenny comes to Chicago. He's been living in Arizona the past 3-4+ years. Perhaps he stays in town in spurts during the season. 

He is just trying to defuse pressure on the new manager and his players at this point. What else can he say or do beyond resign?

He said he has no power to fire Hahn, it's JR's call, so there will be no accountability. John Paxson is still with the Bulls after decades of debacles. Kenny and Hahn are with the Sox as long as Jerry is alive and they want to stay.

• Like 2

Sigh. Why do I stay a fan? I'm not in Chicago, I could have declared free agency as I entered Texas. There are the Astros and Rangers here. So easy to follow. 

I don't even have to check the current standings to know they are doing better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It would be interesting to know just how often Kenny comes to Chicago. He's been living in Arizona the past 3-4+ years. Perhaps he stays in town in spurts during the season. 

He is just trying to defuse pressure on the new manager and his players at this point. What else can he say or do beyond resign?

He said he has no power to fire Hahn, it's JR's call, so there will be no accountability. John Paxson is still with the Bulls after decades of debacles. Kenny and Hahn are with the Sox as long as Jerry is alive and they want to stay.

You can smell them all the way down in Arizona.

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Sigh. Why do I stay a fan? I'm not in Chicago, I could have declared free agency as I entered Texas. There are the Astros and Rangers here. So easy to follow. 

I don't even have to check the current standings to know they are doing better. 

One of my sons lives outside of Tampa. I should apologize to him for bringing him up a White Sox fan.

Edited by Saufley
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Some that give you hope:

Translation: We’re about to trade what few good prospects we have left for mediocre veterans to ‘save the season’. Make the Sox great again.