What is rock bottom for this FO? What what would need to happen for a shakeup at the top?

chitownsportsfan

Rock bottom is probably eliminated all but mathematically by June. So something like 15-30 record. At this rate, we'll hit that. We'll be one of the worst teams in MLB with a top 10 payroll and a bottom 1/3 farm. We'll have several guys that need to be moved before we don't extend them: things will get worse before they get better.

Would that be enough to fire Hahn? Personally I don't think so. I think only after another 100 loss season next year would that happen. Sadly I think Hahn will try and sell JR on one more year and JR will listen. That means we won't blow it up but will continue to limp along pretending we can contend with this roster into 2024.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rock bottom is probably eliminated all but mathematically by June. So something like 15-30 record. At this rate, we'll hit that. We'll be one of the worst teams in MLB with a top 10 payroll and a bottom 1/3 farm. We'll have several guys that need to be moved before we don't extend them: things will get worse before they get better.

Would that be enough to fire Hahn? Personally I don't think so. I think only after another 100 loss season next year would that happen. Sadly I think Hahn will try and sell JR on one more year and JR will listen. That means we won't blow it up but will continue to limp along pretending we can contend with this roster into 2024.

No. When Kenny retires after 24 Hahn will be kicked upstairs (this is all assuming JR still owns the club)

Just now, SouthSideGeorgia said:

I don’t know the answer however firing the Front Office needs to happen first and foremost. No way do I want Hahn and KW deciding how to tear down / trade and rebuild. So many damn reasons to fire him today. Geez…

Def sunk cost fallacy at this point. The sooner we move on the sooner we can start heading in a different (hopefully better) direction.

@Lip Man 1 I'm not sure if you have legit insight or if you're just an old (rightly) cynical follower but in this case I hope to hell you're wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No. When Kenny retires after 24 Hahn will be kicked upstairs (this is all assuming JR still owns the club)

Beat me to it. This is exactly what will happen. And it’ll be Getz who will assume the GM role. Same ole same ole nothing will really change. 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

<5K at the park all summer will have more impact than the record.  They will blame us either way.  They will always find a way to reach a new bottom. 

I really think that's one that might prompt a change. I wouldn't, but there is an argument sagging Bulls attendance was what finally did in GarPax. If you believe that, and again, I can squint and believe it, fans not showing up might prompt a change. Public humiliation while draining his bank account might spur JR to do something.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Beat me to it. This is exactly what will happen. And it’ll be Getz who will assume the GM role. Same ole same ole nothing will really change. 

Nothing will really change until JR is gone, it's really that simple and factual. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

<5K at the park all summer will have more impact than the record.  They will blame us either way.  They will always find a way to reach a new bottom. 

And you can't trade a dollar when you don't have a quarter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know there won’t be a lot of people, but what are the chances of a “Fire Rick Hahn” chant this season?

I do think everything turned so toxic around GarPax and Nagy that it contributed to their departures. The question I have is are there enough Sox fans to make something like that happen here?

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm almost long for the days when you have a guy like Mariotti that would just rip the s%*# out of the club on the Sun Times and it would mean a significant thing publicly. There's no strong voice that will reach JR now from the media. 

JR deserves to be hounded by a whole flock of hiney birds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I really think that's one that might prompt a change. I wouldn't, but there is an argument sagging Bulls attendance was what finally did in GarPax. If you believe that, and again, I can squint and believe it, fans not showing up might prompt a change. Public humiliation while draining his bank account might spur JR to do something.

Fire GarPax signs at the AllStar game in Chicago might have contributed too, but I might have my timeframe wrong.   

"Excising the pandemic-suppressed 2020 and '21 seasons, the 2022 A’s accounted for three of the 10 least-attended MLB games since the 1995 strike, and the 2023 A’s already logged a new entry in the “top 15” when 3,035 people showed up to watch a matchup with the Guardians on April 3. The next night, their 3,407-person crowd was topped by 11 Triple-A teams. That was before the relocation news dropped.

Fans looking to make a point about Fisher’s poor stewardship of the club had been planning a “reverse boycott” in which they tried to fill the park — necessary since every A’s game looks like a regular boycott. Even if the A’s want to go the route of sticking around for a few more seasons, there’s some agency on the part of the city, which might not be feeling cooperative at this stage."

JR would certainly never understand the humor behind a "mock sellout" to get back at him...that would never work. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/whats-next-for-the-oakland-as-as-they-plot-a-move-to-las-vegas-5-big-questions-that-will-shape-their-future-205504586.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm almost long for the days when you have a guy like Mariotti that would just rip the s%*# out of the club on the Sun Times and it would mean a significant thing publicly. There's no strong voice that will reach JR now from the media. 

Nope, Tribune really couldn’t give a s%*# about the Sox, and the Sun Times is pretty toothless.  JR doesn’t seem to care about any new/online media, and he has Bob to launder his org’s image on a national stage.  They are pretty insulated.  It will take the level of toxicity boiling over the way it did with the Bulls along with dismal attendance and sagging merch sales.  Something along those lines. 

Nothing that I can see.   While this is the bottom, there have been numerous cases of egregious incompetence, lawsuits over some gnarly stuff, et al that have resulted in no consequences to the perpetrators. 
Maybe KW will decide to retire.  At that point JR announces that he will hire a new VP of Ops.  When that new VP comes aboard, then he dispatch Hahn, Haber, Getz and the rest of the clowns.