Are the 2023 White Sox the worst Sox team you've ever seen?

joejoesox

2023 Sox: Worst you've ever seen?   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2023 White Sox the worst Sox team you've ever seen?

• Never seen anything like this.
    • No, this team was worse (Post in comments)

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I cancelled the day Machado signed with SD. I've been streaming online in the years since.

Foolish me bought it again this year expecting big things.

I quit the team once after the Tatis deal. I have always been a guy that loves the prospect watching, and was constantly praying for an emphasis on the farm system and scouting pipeline to be embraced as the key. Bought back in when Sale, Eaton and Quintana were dealt. It seemed like the Sox finally wanted to be a regular team instead of the weird kid that thinks he is smarter than the rest of the class. Little did I know that this was a one time adventure for Jerry. Jerry is gonna be done with the experiment with normality very soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Hurtin said:

Well, there's no plans to wear shorts this season, so there's that, at least.

The collared jerseys were... at least interesting.   Which is more than one can say for the team itself. 

Also, love the way season ticket sales people are hyping Pedro Grifol when they don't know the first thing about him or his background. 

That trip in the car to the OD game with his very good friend Eduardo Perez in Houston will end up as his lone career highlight...unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The 7-18 start ties the worst record through the first 25 games under JRs ownership with the 1886 team which featured the Hawkeroo at GM and Tony LaRussa getting fired.

3 other White Sox teams started 8-17. 1997, 2001, and 2018.

So we can expect a White Flag trade, Corpse Ball and Even More Tanking. 

Sounds about right.

15 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I quit the team once after the Tatis deal. I have always been a guy that loves the prospect watching, and was constantly praying for an emphasis on the farm system and scouting pipeline to be embraced as the key. Bought back in when Sale, Eaton and Quintana were dealt. It seemed like the Sox finally wanted to be a regular team instead of the weird kid that thinks he is smarter than the rest of the class. Little did I know that this was a one time adventure for Jerry. Jerry is gonna be done with the experiment with normality very soon. 

I thought this team would at least have a 4 or 5 year run of being really good and perhaps longer. It ended with the LaRussa hire, and is only getting worse. It’s almost hard to believe how bad they are. But there is no secret as to why they aren’t scoring. Robert leading off then hitting 3rd the way he’s going. Andrus leading off? That incompetence making out the line up card. They still would have lost most likely. But a team struggling, watching them go down so easily in the first inning can deflate the team. I have no idea what Pedro is thinking here other than please fire me, I want to go home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

So we can expect a White Flag trade, Corpse Ball and Even More Tanking. 

Sounds about right.

I don’t see Jerry signing up for any more tanking, if any changes are made like that. I think the young team stuff is something JR has no stamina to endure any longer. But the real problem is mismanagement, not the approach. This team has been bad now for about 2 full years very soon. They ran this team back for whatever reasons. Fell in love, ran out of money, who can say. But this is the depth of their baseball expertise, running back a bad team, expecting different results.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I thought this team would at least have a 4 or 5 year run of being really good and perhaps longer. It ended with the LaRussa hire, and is only getting worse. It’s almost hard to believe how bad they are. But there is no secret as to why they aren’t scoring. Robert leading off then hitting 3rd the way he’s going. Andrus leading off? That incompetence making out the line up card. They still would have lost most likely. But a team struggling, watching them go down so easily in the first inning can deflate the team. I have no idea what Pedro is thinking here other than please fire me, I want to go home.

I thought the same tbh. But as previously mentioned, they were studying these players for a little awhile now, failing to achieve. There should have been more insight into this team’s potential than the FO have shown the acumen to react to. Maybe some of these names should have been gone by now. I don’t think they are sharp baseball people, and they tend to be sentimental. All Reinsdorf teams in both sports have that tendency.

8 hours ago, wegner said:

Since I have not been able to watch many games lately, I'm not sure.  But I will be sure to tune in and my answer will most likely be a YES. I do think this team seems to be coming to the ballpark believing they are going to lose that day. It sure does seem early to fire a guy who just got hired, but they do not play for Pedro. Whatever he did, the team was likeable under Renteria. These guys are not likeable and they are boring as hell.

Someone should hire Ricky - maybe he was an all time genius. His players clearly liked him and liked playing for him. But no excuses - this is on the front office. 

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

I do think it's the worst team I've ever seen because it is so overmatched. It's almost as if the team was built to lose every game because of the way it does not fit the modern game.

On paper the starting pitching 'might' have been MLB top quality. However even if all the starters excelled, that'd only carry us to the sixth inning in modern baseball. Hence the bullpen being incapable of covering 3-4 innings. Exacerbating the problem is the starters have stunk for the most part, have not excelled for five inns.

Finally the hitting. Relies too much on unproven guys who appear grossly overrated. What you get is a team of homegrown stiffs mixed in with some over the hill guys like Elvis and other guys who do not belong in MLB (our reserve infielders and backup catcher). Not sure what to think of Beni, definitely MLB caliber offensively and defensively but again not built offensively for the modern game.

So yes it is the worst team imaginable, almost as if they did it to us on purpose.

(On a personal level for the first time ever the Sox don't have a player I truly care about as a fan. I've always had my faves. Paulie, Buehrle, Frank, Jose, Dye various pitchers, Ozzie, Ralph Garr, Durham. I have zero faves on this team though Burger is probably closest for me.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

On a personal level for the first time ever the Sox don't have a player I truly care about as a fan. I've always had my faves. Paulie, Buehrle, Frank, Jose, Dye various pitchers, Ozzie, Ralph Garr, Durham. I have zero faves on this team though Burger is probably closest for me.

Yes, its been awhile for me not to have a favorite White Sox player as well. Faced similar after separating from following the Sox post 1994. Makes missing the games much easier this season, rooting for Houston this season.

Former Favorite White Sox Players:

• 1975 SP Wilbur Wood
  • 1976-1981 CF Chet Lemon
  • 1982-1989 RF Harold Baines
  • 1990 C Carlton Fisk
  • 1991-1995 LF Tim Raines
  • 2003-2008 3B Joe Crede
  • 2009-2012 C A. J. Pierzynski
  • 2014-2022 1B Jose Abreu

16 hours ago, White Sox Park said:

Thinking about cancelling MLB tv if this keeps up.

Oddly enough I was thinking of getting MLB TV so I could watch the Pirates.  Being originally from Pittsburgh, I still follow them some, and they're at least an exciting team.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Awful trade same with madrigal.  2 trades that destroyed the rebuild.  Imagine having tatis Anderson and Moncada or tatis madrigal and Anderson 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bryank1202 said:

Awful trade same with madrigal.  2 trades that destroyed the rebuild.  Imagine having tatis Anderson and Moncada or tatis madrigal and Anderson 

Tatis Machado Anderson and Soto/Vladimir Jr. if one believes Sox insiders that both those latter names are distinct possibilities to sign with Paddy... 

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Oddly enough I was thinking of getting MLB TV so I could watch the Pirates.  Being originally from Pittsburgh, I still follow them some, and they're at least an exciting team.

I’ve been wondering how to transfer my fandom to another team myself. Rays are appealing since they manage to be one of the best franchises and a perpetual underdog at the same time

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Yea, I've been watching some Pirates lately and enjoy them . love their stadium . I really got into their pennant fight with the braves, back in the early 90's I think it was.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’ve been wondering how to transfer my fandom to another team myself. Rays are appealing since they manage to be one of the best franchises and a perpetual underdog at the same time

I've tried it. Didn't take. I may try just going to some Chicago Dogs games this summer. It's pretty bad baseball but I'd rather watch players that care. As for mlb Orioles might be fun to try. 

5 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I follow the Bills because the Bears do not deserve my support. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I've tried it. Didn't take. I may try just going to some Chicago Dogs games this summer. It's pretty bad baseball but I'd rather watch players that care. As for mlb Orioles might be fun to try. 

Yeah I lived in maricopa county back when the dbacks won the world series and were in the playoffs several times but I still couldn’t shake my sox-ness. But I still can’t help but imagine

• 4 months later...