Updated: Losing Streak Watch - Historical

Texsox

Currently at 7 games. 

Sox record 15

AL record 21

MLB record 23

It's a long way to go but the lack of give a s%*#, offensive, and bull pen makes it all possible. They really don't need much to go wrong. Just keep playing like the past couple weeks and by the middle of May it could be a historic season. 

On 4/26/2023 at 8:56 PM, JoeC said:

Personally i feel like this team is going to ruin it with a win… like they can’t even suck in a notable way.

My HS football team did that. We had a losing streak that lasted like 6 years. When they finally won a single game during my senior year (literally the only game they won all year) they had TIED for the longest losing streak. 

It's since been broken though...

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

They made #8 look easy. That's more than half way. A couple milestones are coming up. One is not made up. 

Saturday- Double Digit Losing Streak Day the team will bring in their all time doubles leaders of Thomas, Appling, Konerko, Fox, Baines, Abreu, Collins, Minoso, Durham, and Falk. Not to throw out first pitches, but to play on one day contracts. They lose in the 10th when they collectively said "f*** this man on second s%*#. In our day we actually hit doubles to get on base" and walked off. 

Sunday - Swept for Three Series Day first 1,000 fans receive and Libman broom. Actually only 132 fans are in attendance, all wearing Jay's gear receive brooms. The rest JR sells on eBay. The money will be spent.

May 5 - Fitting Tribute Game. Most remaining fans who want to watch the team tie the all time Sox losing streak mark will not be able to because the game is only on Apple+. 

• Texsox changed the title to Updated: Losing Streak Watch - Upcoming Promotions

The streak slate from the tanking era has been wiped clean (Nine the longest July 9-23, 2017).

Latest Nine Game Losing Streak: April 19 - Current (Eight additional 9 game losing streaks)

Chicago White Sox losing streaks milestones on the horizon:

• Latest Ten Game Losing Streak: July 26 - August 4, 2013 (Five additional 10 game losing streaks)
  • Latest Eleven Game Losing Streak July 7 - July 18, 1956 (Two additional 11 game losing streaks)
  • Lone Twelve Game Losing Streak September 10 - 22, 1927
  • Lone Thirteen Game Losing Streak August 9 - 26, 1924
  • Lone Fourteen Game Losing Streak September 27 - October 1, 1967 + April 10 - 21, 1968
  • Lone Fifteen Game Losing Streak September 27 - October 1, 1967 + April 10 - 25, 1968
  • A Sixteen + game losing streak would be a new White Sox team record.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

On 4/27/2023 at 9:16 PM, Iwritecode said:

My HS football team did that. We had a losing streak that lasted like 6 years. When they finally won a single game during my senior year (literally the only game they won all year) they had TIED for the longest losing streak. 

It's since been broken though...

I think Savanna IL lost 75 straight football games. 

42 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The streak slate from the tanking era has been wiped clean (Nine the longest July 9-23, 2017).

Latest Nine Game Losing Streak: April 19 - Current (Eight additional 9 game losing streaks)

• Latest Ten Game Losing Streak: July 26 - August 4, 2013 (Five additional 10 game losing streaks)
  • Latest Eleven Game Losing Streak July 7 - July 18, 1956 (Two additional 11 game losing streaks)
  • Lone Fourteen Game Losing Streak September 27 - October 1, 1967 + April 10 - 21, 1968
  • Lone Fifteen Game Losing Streak September 27 - October 1, 1967 + April 10 - 25, 1968

The fourteen and fifteen are the same?

edit: oh I see, the only times they have lost fourteen or fifteen games is during the same streak.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

On 4/28/2023 at 6:09 AM, Texsox said:

They made #8 look easy. That's more than half way. A couple milestones are coming up. One is not made up. 

Saturday- Double Digit Losing Streak Day the team will bring in their all time doubles leaders of Thomas, Appling, Konerko, Fox, Baines, Abreu, Collins, Minoso, Durham, and Falk. Not to throw out first pitches, but to play on one day contracts. They lose in the 10th when they collectively said "f*** this man on second s%*#. In our day we actually hit doubles to get on base" and walked off. 

Sunday - Swept for Three Series Day first 1,000 fans receive and Libman broom. Actually only 132 fans are in attendance, all wearing Jay's gear receive brooms. The rest JR sells on eBay. The money will be spent.

May 5 - Fitting Tribute Game. Most remaining fans who want to watch the team tie the all time Sox losing streak mark will not be able to because the game is only on Apple+. 

They should have Jewel sponsor paper bag day fans can wear over their heads during the game. Since attendance will be low, Jewel won’t have to supply very many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Thank you @South Side Hit Men

So actually 14 would be the same season record since the previous spanned two seasons. 

Somewhere Tony and Leury are doing shots and :cheers

Yes, 13 is the most consecutive games the White Sox lost within a single season (1924) through 2022.

The White Sox lost five straight games to end the 1967 season, and ten more to start the 1968 season.

If anyone has a good website source for most consecutive series losses, or for accurate team GM/Top Baseball Executive records before 1950, I would appreciate any link(s). I’ve only found one 8 consecutive series loss streak in the 2000s. My previous tracker included both series losses and splits.

Also, I would like to update my Hahn All Time GM 10 plus year standings for pre 1950 seasons. Hahn would be buried far further down the list expanding seasons since 1950, but I cannot find consolidate accurate information within a single source.

It’s possible a few Saint Louis Browns GMs, and possibly other team GMs were even worse than Hahn for over a decade, but I don’t want to update the list without certainty for all 16 teams pre-1950. The role evolved over the years, so some teams had a formally named GM, whereas others had a team Owner, President, Secretary and/or Field Manager serve in this role.

White Sox Streak Source Source:

https://champsorchumps.us/team/mlb/chicago-white-sox/longest-losing-streaks

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

For most everyone here, this is the longest losing streak in their lifetime. I was 7 years young and blissfully unaware during the 1968 steak. 

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Most of us were alive in 2013 when Robin Ventura and newly promoted Rick Hahn lead the White Sox to a ten game losing streak and a 63-99 record. The Sox scored 18 total runs, or 1.8 per game for the mathematically challenged.

wo = Walk off loss. 

1. July 26 vs. Kansas City (86-76) 5-1
  2. July 27 vs. Kansas City 1-0
  3. July 28 vs. Kansas City 4-2 (12)
  4. July 29 at Cleveland (92-70) 3-2 wo
  5. July 30 at Cleveland (92-70) 7-4
  6. July 31 at Cleveland 6-5 (10) wo
  7. August 1 at Cleveland 6-1
  8. August 2 at Detroit (93-69) 2-1
  9. August 3 at Detroit 3-0
  10. August 4 at Detroit 3-2 (12) wo

If the Sox win tonight, there are still a few other streaks they are embarked on that are still in play. I’ll elaborate further as events unfold.

So don’t lock this thread and perhaps remove the “promotions” bit as may have been created as a thread to post joke ideas for promotions, but this can be used (or also be used) to discuss the various streaks the Sox are currently undergoing in one singular thread.

• Texsox changed the title to Updated: Losing Streak Watch - Historical
1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Promotions dropped. 

Thank you!

Beyond the certain losing streak calculation, I am working on going as far back as possible for two other streaks. More to come on that front.

Latest Ten Game Losing Streak: April 19 - Current (Six additional 10 game losing streaks)

Ten Years Hahn

Source: https://champsorchumps.us/team/mlb/chicago-white-sox/longest-losing-streaks