Sox explore immense depth of their 7th place AAA team, make 11 transactions

bmags

Lots of moves.  Some good for sure.  Although the best move is just correcting a really bad move.  Hopefully Billy will be a spark the team needs.  I'm okay with Colas going down to get more work at AAA.  It should help him.  I think we've seen enough of Sosa to know he's not ready, if he ever will be.

I actually like the construction of the roster better now.  Still not a good team, but maybe there are some hungry guys who will perform.

TA returning is definitely a need.  The team was atrocious without him.  It wasn't all because he was out, but it certainly didn't help.

And thank goodness ol' Hanser is back.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

Genuine question from someone who is not an expert on these things. But given that this season is pretty much over already from a challenging point of view, would it be better for the likes of Sosa and Colas to learn even if that means struggling at MLB level as opposed to going back to AAA. Especially Sosa as he has shown already that he is ok/good at AAA level and now has twice failed to transfer that to MLB level.

28 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Was Colas that bad??

He looked a little lost at times. He kept chasing the off speed stuff out of the zone. Needs at bats in the minors. 

None of these moves is going to change us into a contender but I can't disagree with any of them either.

• Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Genuine question from someone who is not an expert on these things. But given that this season is pretty much over already from a challenging point of view, would it be better for the likes of Sosa and Colas to learn even if that means struggling at MLB level as opposed to going back to AAA. Especially Sosa as he has shown already that he is ok/good at AAA level and now has twice failed to transfer that to MLB level.

I get what youre saying here, but those guys were going so bad, it might hamper them down the road.  Get some ABs and come back in a little while. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

8IP , 3 ER, 0 walks. Basically would be our Mariano Rivera.

Wow then he's had a nice run. Cause I checked a few days after he was traded and he had given up some runs

48 minutes ago, Jake said:

When Giolito and Kelly come back, who is the odd man out? Aren't we carrying an extra position player? Feels kind of like Haseley has earned a spot on the roster but I'd be surprised if we called up Hamilton just to immediately send him down/DFA.

Don't know why haseley ain't playing today. 

1 hour ago, Jake said:

When Giolito and Kelly come back, who is the odd man out? Aren't we carrying an extra position player? Feels kind of like Haseley has earned a spot on the roster but I'd be surprised if we called up Hamilton just to immediately send him down/DFA.

Where did Giolito go?

And hopefully Kelly joins Diekman but they will probably option someone if someone has options.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Imagine being told a year ago the Sox would be 13 games under .500 on May 2nd and they would be promoting Billy Hamilton and Alex Colome to the big team.

Right in the middle of our "Championship Window"!!

46 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's had a whopping 1 year in the minor leagues.

If 27-year-old Jake Burger is being proclaimed as the team's future after the absolute hell he battled through, Oscar Colas can be given the benefit of the doubt.

Who the hell is proclaiming Jake Burger as the future of the team? 

Colas is almost 25 and sported a 50 OPS+ in his first 25 games. That is no bueno. Highly unlikely he turns into anything to write home about.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Desperation moves more than anything IMO.  It's not like either are being replaced with better options.  If they were only going to ride the pine in Chicago, it's better that they go play every day in Charlotte.  Maybe they can rebuild some confidence?  Who knows.  But it's not like any of the coaches really know what they are doing at this point.

Saddest part is the failure of Colas at least for now.

The harsh me says he's just another stiff Sox prospect who isn't gonna be anything decent in MLB. The nice me blames management for giving him opportunities but during April. Prolly shoulda done the oppo; let him start out the season in AAA then bring him up.

Whatever, he looks like a failed prospect with horrid stats through 76 at bats. I'd rather he had 76 at bats in the minors then call him up, but the Sox rarely make the right call.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snopek said:

The second part of that tweet is pure gold. That's how you summarize the rebuild in one sentence.

A AAAA guy, another AAAA guy, and a guy that can't play the OF without being an injury risk to himself, or to others, and who is bordering on bust status because of it.  Hell of a job White Sox.

I know McGuire got off to a hot start this year (has slowed down considerably since then it looks like) but he had played terribly for us, Zavala was on fire, and we were about to release him. Wish Diekman had pitched better but that trade isn't even on my list of things I'm upset about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1