Opening up my mind to giving the season a clean slate

Richie

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I'm not holding my breath thinking Hahn will be fired or JR will change his ways.  I'm just saying a sell of is most likely coming, and this team will look much different before the season is over.  We, as fans, have learned our lesson regarding rebuilds.  I don't trust Hahn to do it right, and I don't trust JR to allow whatever GM is in place to build a championship caliber team.

It is fair to say a sell off is coming and it is fair that fans don’t trust either of them for those reasons. For those who are pissed at JR or Hahn, the question still remains, what will you do to pare back spending on the team? The second question is with a sell off, what do fans expect from the sell off and next season? 

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

It is fair to say a sell off is coming and it is fair that fans don’t trust either of them for those reasons. For those who are pissed at JR or Hahn, the question still remains, what will you do to pare back spending on the team? The second question is with a sell off, what do fans expect from the sell off and next season? 

More incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness from the front office. Oh and pain, lots of it on the fan base.

• Like 1

I think the only way to change your perspective on the season is hope the rest of the division keeps getting worse than we expected, and the Sox hit one of those lucky health streaks in Sept-Oct where everyone’s actually healthy after the win the division with 81 wins. Then maybe they get hot and give it a ride.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I think the only way to change your perspective on the season is hope the rest of the division keeps getting worse than we expected, and the Sox hit one of those lucky health streaks in Sept-Oct where everyone’s actually healthy after the win the division with 81 wins. Then maybe they get hot and give it a ride.

The whole season outlook is dependent upon  the following

Health, health, health, health, health - there is no organizational depth to cover this

Now if they stay healthy the division can be won at .500 

15 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Health, health, health, health, health - there is no organizational depth to cover this

The division may be won at .500 but even a healthy Whites Sox would need to go 68-57 the rest of the season. Unfortunately, the evidence so far this season suggests that we won't get a 'healthy' core for enough games to achieve that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

The division may be won at .500 but even a healthy Whites Sox would need to go 68-57 the rest of the season. Unfortunately, the evidence so far this season suggests that we won't get a 'healthy' core for enough games to achieve that.  

I would go even further and say it doesn't matter if they didn't have all the injuries. (which they have and will continue to have)  They'll be lucky to play .500 in their remaining games so the best they'll end up with is around 75 wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Im not sure they are a .500 team when healthy.  The pitching on this team is non existent.  Giolito may have figured it out again for a bit before he is traded.  Cease seems to be a one year wonder.  Clevinger and Lynn are not good and Lynn will be traded.  Kopech is not good.  The bullpen is a dumpster fire.  Will Hendricks be the same after his illness?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

People were speculating where they would be if they swept KC.  They may lose the series 3-1.

Cease and Lynn pounded by the light Royals.

This team has zero pitching.

Half the fan base is still in the denial phase. I entreat you hold outs to move into acceptance with the rest of us .

• Like 1

Swing from 4 1/2 back had they won on Sunday against Minny to 8 1/2 games back in less than a week. 

Jinx Thread official. 

And what did Harrelson always say about the 54 game/first week of June mark? 

Two weeks away now. 

Edited by caulfield12

On 5/8/2023 at 11:36 AM, Richie said:

Life has been insanely busy. I haven't been around much, at all, this year. I have been watching, unfortunately. I suppose that I didn't care to log in only to be miserable around a bunch of others who are equally as miserable. I already spend most games fuming with frustration. No need to add more.

The Eloy news made me shake my head and laugh. What else can you do, at this point? He was just starting to get hot. So, of course, that happens.

This being said... 

Outside of the extra inning loss to Minnesota, which made me want to gouge my eyes out (Seriously... what's more of a lock than this team failing to plate a run with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs? It makes the current extra inning format TORTURE as a fan of this team!), I'm actually starting to open up the door to giving this team another shot. They're only 7 out in a bad division. If they can take 3 of 4 here and get a bit healthier. I could see us looking up a month from now and being squarely in the central mix and pushing back towards .500. Maybe we look back on that April stretch as simply a god awful period of baseball we played, before we got it together? 

Our schedule over the next month is not bad and we play mostly at home. A lot of division games lined up to make up some ground, too.

Tonight, Cease has to come out hot against a poor KC lineup, though. We aren't going anywhere if he can't figure this out. Hopefully we can keep yesterday's onslaught up against Greinke, who has been struggling pretty bad. No excuse for dropping this game tonight.

Obviously, the hurdle that seems utterly impossible for this team to overcome, is being able to sustain ANY semblance of health for a period of time. Instead of continuously cycling out one key piece for another. It will be nice to have Hendricks back. God knows the bullpen needs it. 

The fact I am willing to show optimism, though, only means that tonight will be sheer and utter misery. I will read this post later tonight and laugh/mock myself while cursing the White Sox, Cease, etc.

I'm going to try and watch with hopeful eyes again, though. I realize how bad this is/has been, TRUST ME. I just don't want the season to have been lost in April. For chrissake, they're the only reason I paid in full before the season for MLB.TV living out of market. lol

How’s that working out?

Path to 81 wins and possible division title.

Games Remaining:

M = May; J = June; Y = July; A = August; S = September; O = October 1st.

Starting Point 16-28

• .568 Arizona Diamondbacks (3 Home S) 2-1 (18-29)
  • .619 Atlanta Baseball Team (3 Away Y) 1-2 (19-31)
  • .643 Baltimore Orioles (3 Away A) 1-2 (20-33)
  • .535 Boston Red Sox (3 Home J, 3 Away S) 3-3 (23-36)
  • .452 Chicago Cubs (2 Home Y, 2 Away A) 3-1 (26-37
  • .463 Cleveland Guardians (5 Home M (1) Y (4), 6 Away M A) 7-4 (33-41)
  • .432 Colorado Rockies (3 Away A) 2-1 (35-42)
  • .463 Detroit Tigers (6 Home J S, 7 Away M (4) S (3)) 7-6 (42-48)
  • .311 Kansas City Royals (6 Home M S, 3 Away S) 6-3 (48-51)
  • .512 Los Angeles Angels (3 Home M, 4 Away J) 4-3 (52-54)
  • .636 Los Angeles Dodgers (3 Away J) 1-2 (53-56)
  • .500 Miami Marlins (3 Home J) 2-1 (55-57)
  • .571 Milwaukee Brewers (3 Home A) 1-2 (56-59)
  • .545 Minnesota Twins (4 Home S, 3 Away Y) 4-3 (60-62)
  • .465 New York Mets (3 Away Y) 1-2 (61-64)
  • .568 New York Yankees (3 Home A, 3 Away J) 2-4 (63-68)
  • .222 Oakland Athletics (4 Home A, 3 Away J (1) Y (2)) 5-2 (68-70)
  • .395 Saint Louis Cardinals (3 Home Y) 2-1 (70-71)
  • .455 San Diego Padres (3 Home S/O) 2-1 (72-72)
  • .500 Seattle Mariners (3 Home A, 3 Away J) 3-3 (75-75)
  • .619 Texas Rangers (3 Home J, 3 Away A) 2-4 (77-79)
  • .571 Toronto Blue Jays (3 Home Y) 2-1 (79-80)
  • .429 Washington Nationals (3 Away S) 2-1 (81-81)

They're going to have to get back down to 5-6 games within the Twins...

Right now 8 back with three teams to chase down seems too much of an uphill battle when they're more likely to be subtracting than adding at the deadline.

Will they really hold Giolito after Rodon and lose both of them without QO's to either guy?

Of course, JR might try to stick it to Lucas as a union rep and actually tender the QO to make his FA case very challenging/intriguing.   That said, if GIolito holds up and continues to throw 94-97 mph for the remainder of the season, then the QO is pretty much a foregone conclusion, especially with both Clevinger and Lynn likely on the way out for younger/cheaper starting pitchers.

One thing's for sure.  The AL and NL Central BOTH suck.

The best thing would be to combine/collapse both divisions leaving the Cards, Brewers, Cubs, Sox, Twins and you would be hard-pressed to decide between Pitt, Cincy, KC, CLE and Detroit (coin flips?).   Then your two expansion teams would theoretically go up, maybe 4 to make things more interesting for the various bidding cities instead of just LV and Nashville.

(Obviously, this won't happen any time soon!!!)

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They're going to have to get back down to 5-6 games within the Twins...

Right now 8 back with three teams to chase down seems too much of an uphill battle when they're more likely to be subtracting than adding at the deadline.

Will they really hold Giolito after Rodon and lose both of them without QO's to either guy?

Of course, JR might try to stick it to Lucas as a union rep and actually tender the QO to make his FA case very challenging/intriguing.   That said, if GIolito holds up and continues to throw 94-97 mph for the remainder of the season, then the QO is pretty much a foregone conclusion, especially with both Clevinger and Lynn likely on the way out for younger/cheaper starting pitchers.

One thing's for sure.  The AL and NL Central BOTH suck.

The best thing would be to combine/collapse both divisions leaving the Cards, Brewers, Cubs, Sox, Twins and you would be hard-pressed to decide between Pitt, Cincy, KC, CLE and Detroit (coin flips?).   Then your two expansion teams would theoretically go up, maybe 4 to make things more interesting for the various bidding cities instead of just LV and Nashville.

(Obviously, this won't happen any time soon!!!)

My man, reading your posts makes me feel like I never left. You go off on some crazy ass tangents. Never change.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

9-7 over their last 16 since cratering at 7-21. 

if they keep playing 9-7 ball over every future 16 they end up at 82-80.

just sayin’…

They may be 9-7 over the last 16 but they are 5-5 over the last 10 and did just drop a series 3-1 to the Royals!

2 nice wins against the Guardians is good to see but lets not go booking World Series tickets just yet!

• Like 1