Least likeable team since 2000

joejoesox

Dunno about you guys but I can wager to guess that most of you don't even like this particular Sox team. I'm at the point where I couldn't give a s%*# if most of these guys weren't around next year

Guys like Robert, Moncada, Kopech, TA, Andrus, Clevinger and others just give off this vibe of overconfidence that they garnered either because they had past success or because they were extremely hyped prospects, like it's not their fault the team is bad, because they're good, "look how much money I was paid, so obviously you can't criticize me" sorta s%*#

I feel like these guys are playing with a chip on their shoulder that isn't deserved

yeah I don't like these pricks at all

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I don’t remember the 2000 team being unlikable, they sure could hit but like most Sox playoff teams except for 2005 fell flat on their faces, IIRC a few of our starters had arm issues heading into the playoffs.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3

Prior to this year I used to think Luis Robert was amazing and hyped him up so much, now I'm not sure anymore. Dude has gotten his hitting numbers out of the shitter and back to respectability, but he gives these vibes where he seems like he's checked out or only partially engaged. I didn't think that about him before. It's like he absorbed it from the team somehow.

• Like 2

I was completely checked out on the White Sox in the late 90s after the White Flag trade and the 2000 team brought me back.  Sure they flopped in the post season but they hardly deserve to be even top 10 least likeable teams.  My memories fade, but 2001, 2007, 2009, 2016, all rank much worse on a likeablilty scale.  2022 and 2023 are right up there with those teams. 

They look like they're already looking to the off-season. Those at bats yesterday were unbelievable. They looked, 1 through 9, like they did not wanna play baseball. The Royals and A's are losing games because they lack talent, the Sox are losing games because they do not give a s%*# about winning everyday 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lostfan said:

Prior to this year I used to think Luis Robert was amazing and hyped him up so much, now I'm not sure anymore. Dude has gotten his hitting numbers out of the shitter and back to respectability, but he gives these vibes where he seems like he's checked out or only partially engaged. I didn't think that about him before. It's like he absorbed it from the team somehow.

I'm curious to see some of these guys with different teams and whether those teams will be able to get these guys to play to their full potential.  I feel like Luis Robert, Jr. would be an MVP if he was on the Dodgers/Rays/Red Sox/Guardians/Twins/etc., but as long as he's with the White Sox, he'll only be what he currently is because the White Sox are incapabe of getting the most out of their players.  Young guys with loads of talent and potential dwindle away if they "develop" in the White Sox system, and veterans with a history of success sign with the team and never reach that success again.  There are exceptions, obviously, like Tim Anderson, for example, but for the most part, being a member of the White Sox organization seems to be a death sentence for players' careers.  A lot of people complain about trading Tatis for Shields back in the day, but that's because Tatis turned into a superstar with another team.  I have no faith that he would have come close to being that player if he had stayed in the White Sox system.     

• Like 4

I liked the 2000 team. How can you not like a team with the following:

HR    RBI     BA    OBP   SLG    OPS
Frank Thomas        43   143   .328   .436   .625   1.061
Maggilo Ordonez   32   126   .315   .371   .546    .917
Carlos Lee               24     92   .301   .345   .484    .829
Herbert Perry         12     61   .308   .356   .483    .839
Jose Valentin           25     92   .273   .343   .491    .835
Ray Durham           17     75    .280   .361   .450    .810
Paul Konerko          21    97    .298   .363   .481    .844

They did go 95-67 and first place in the AL Central. 

I realize the pitching was bad that year and lost to Seattle in the Playoffs, but WAY WAY more fun than this team. We would die to have players like that on this team.

However I do get your point about how bad and boring this team is. I do HATE this team more than any other Sox team I've cheered for as a die-hard Sox fan in entire Sox fandom lifetime.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

2 hours ago, lostfan said:

Robert = Alex Rios 2.0

Likeability ranking of Rick Hahn teams from most likeable to least likeable, also with a likeability score

1. 2019 - Eloy rookie year, resurgent Giolito/Moncada. Change the game. Eloy homer vs. cubs. Dragged down by Yonder Alonso/Jon Jay (7.5, most likeable team)
2. 2021 - Apr-June likeability score with hamilton/goodwin stuff? 9/10. Post trade deadline? (5/10). Total (7.4/10)
3. 2014 - Abreu rookie year, sale enters stratosphere, abreu walk-off vs. tampa to send sox to first place was great night (6.8/10)
4. 2020 - not much they could do here, we couldn't go to games. They won though. Abreu vs. cubs series alone worth it. (6.5/10)
5. 2018 - inoffensive. Danny Palka. 6/10
6. 2017 - inoffensive but just bad 6/10
7. 2013 - Probably were just old and bad but looked so lethargic. 4/10
8. 2015 - One of the least enjoyable teams I've watched, but didn't have the insanity off the field yet. (3.5/10)
9. 2016 - Cut up jerseys. LaRoche on today show. trading Zach Duke for charlie tilson and his leg exploding. The game vs yankees where we were "back" and they gave up 100 runs. (2.8/10)
10. 2022 - (2/10)
11. 2023 - (1.5/10)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I liked the 2000 team. How can you not like a team with the following:

HR    RBI     BA    OBP   SLG    OPS
Frank Thomas        43   143   .328   .436   .625   1.061
Maggilo Ordonez   32   126   .315   .371   .546    .917
Carlos Lee               24     92   .301   .345   .484    .829
Herbert Perry         12     61   .308   .356   .483    .839
Jose Valentin           25     92   .273   .343   .491    .835
Ray Durham           17     75    .280   .361   .450    .810
Paul Konerko          21    97    .298   .363   .481    .844

They did go 95-67 and first place in the AL Central. 

I realize the pitching was bad that year and lost to Seattle in the Playoffs, but WAY WAY more fun than this team. We would die to have players like that on this team.

However I do get your point about how bad and boring this team is. I do HATE this team more than any other Sox team I've cheered for as a die-hard Sox fan in entire Sox fandom lifetime.

Don't forget Charles Johnson... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joejoesox said:

Dunno about you guys but I can wager to guess that most of you don't even like this particular Sox team. I'm at the point where I couldn't give a s%*# if most of these guys weren't around next year

Guys like Robert, Moncada, Kopech, TA, Andrus, Clevinger and others just give off this vibe of overconfidence that they garnered either because they had past success or because they were extremely hyped prospects, like it's not their fault the team is bad, because they're good, "look how much money I was paid, so obviously you can't criticize me" sorta s%*#

I feel like these guys are playing with a chip on their shoulder that isn't deserved

My work colleague and I used to comment that these guys didn’t need agents, the fans did their work for them.

Perusing the boards from 2017-2019 you have more people than should have been proclaiming Roberts and Moncada and Jimenez future Hall of Famers.  We had threads that told us we should picture Kopech and Giolito as future Verlanders.

So you can forgive their overconfidence a bit.

Hahn should have known to underpromise and over deliver.

• Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

My work colleague and I used to comment that these guys didn’t need agents, the fans did their work for them.

Perusing the boards from 2017-2019 you have more people than should have been proclaiming Roberts and Moncada and Jimenez future Hall of Famers.  We had threads that told us we should picture Kopech and Giolito as future Verlanders.

Especially Robert in 2019-20. 

And the tide really shifted on the "we don't even need that Machado guy" pretty quickly.  Plus, Machado had long periods of offensive struggle that first year in SD as well. 

Looking back on that Kopech debut every Sox fan watched...maybe that was the first real gut punch, just as much as trade deadline 2021 or, prior to that, losing Game 3 and Crochet against the A's in the first round. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joejoesox said:

Don't sugar coat it. tell me how you really feel.

5 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I mean to be totally fair Yoan was elite in 2019 and we thought he turned a corner in the way that Anderson did the same year. Then he s%*# the bed and started getting injured every 10 games, that's not really overconfident of us, imo

Yeah we kinda did overhype Jimenez, he's an above-average hitter who can't field and who is as durable as toilet paper, Giolito didn't live up to the hype but he's honestly not been that bad. 

Kopech and Robert we were just going off the talent we knew they had and the flashes of brilliance we saw from them but they've both been significantly derailed by injuries, and then being swallowed by the general shittiness of this team. I don't think we were overhyping them though, we were talking about their ceilings as players if they properly developed, which didn't happen (or hasn't yet).