2024 FIRST PICK TANKATHON THREAD

reiks12

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Yes that is what I meant. I know the Sox are picking 15th this year.

My favorite player in next year’s draft class is the Wake Forest 1B/RF, Nick Kurst. He’s a more athletic Adam Dunn, he’s also a better pure hitter than Dunn. The power and OBP skills are off the charts.  

31 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

My favorite player in next year’s draft class is the Wake Forest 1B/RF, Nick Kurst. He’s a more athletic Adam Dunn, he’s also a better pure hitter than Dunn. The power and OBP skills are off the charts.  

Isn't that what was said about Torkelson, too? 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Of course. First base. Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Of course. First base. Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! 

They clearly need up the middle star talent... SS/2B, catcher, a CFer that can play any of three positions and starting pitching, starting pitching, starting pitching. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I agree that ideally you want someone who plays an up the middle position, those are the more valuable and the more premium positions

BUT

I think this is a guy who hits 35 homers a year and rocks an absurd OBP. Also, the college slugger is the safest pick to make in the draft, so you’ll have a contributing big leaguer at worst. I think he’s a high ceiling player with a high floor as well. 

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

I agree that ideally you want someone who plays an up the middle position, those are the more valuable and the more premium positions

BUT

I think this is a guy who hits 35 homers a year and rocks an absurd OBP. Also, the college slugger is the safest pick to make in the draft, so you’ll have a contributing big leaguer at worst. I think he’s a high ceiling player with a high floor as well. 

For me if I could comp him to any player playing today it’s Yordan Alvarez. I think you take Yordan Alvarez 1-1 every time. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

BUT

You’re rating him at the draft  to be at a high all star MLB level, and that’s fine. College slugger first base/DH /catcher is the Sox fav thing to do, and has worked out very well for us. Hopefully the appropriate amount of sarcasm is coming through.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They clearly need up the middle star talent... SS/2B, catcher, a CFer that can play any of three positions and starting pitching, starting pitching, starting pitching. 

Catchers are a waste of a draft pick unless u have someone like Rutschman available. There are always poor hit, great at handling pitchers/defense guys for semi cheap available. That's all you really need at catcher.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Catchers are a waste of a draft pick unless u have someone like Rutschman available. There are always poor hit, great at handling pitchers/defense guys for semi cheap available. That's all you really need at catcher.

If you have enough offense to go around at other positions, like the Astros for most of these years with Maldonado. 

But finding better-rounded ones like Realmuto, Will Smith on the Dodgers or Adley Rutschman is almost worth 1 1/2 players these days.  Simply because of all the focus now on curtailing the running game and not just pitch framing. 

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If you have enough offense to go around at other positions, like the Astros for most of these years with Maldonado. 

But finding better-rounded ones like Realmuto, Will Smith on the Dodgers or Adley Rutschman is almost worth 1 1/2 players these days.  Simply because of all the focus now on curtailing the running game and not just pitch framing. 

If you are counting on offense from a catcher you are doing it wrong. Offense is a bonus . Draft picks should be used on intelligent, big ,strong ,fast athletic players. They have the most upside if you can develop them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

No matter where the Sox land here, it will be another Nick Madrigal or some under slot waste.  

They rarely go underslot in round one and I’ve liked all three of Mike Shirley’s first rounders for the most part. He loves upside. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They rarely go underslot in round one and I’ve liked all three of Mike Shirley’s first rounders for the most part. He loves upside. 

Do they ever go underslot, except when picking 4 year college players?
By going underslot, I mean paying underslot.  They've certainly reached and paid full slot in the past.

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It’s been a much needed and welcome change of direction. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Do they ever go underslot, except when picking 4 year college players?
By going underslot, I mean paying underslot.  They've certainly reached and paid full slot in the past.

They rarely go under in the early rounds. You can’t really take one of the best players and go underslot though. They don’t go over in round 1 either though. 

You think Hahn's decision to not speak to the media before the home stand signals that something might be going down soon in terms of personnel (meaning coach/player movement)

Dunno, just thought it was worth mentioning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

You think Hahn's decision to not speak to the media before the home stand signals that something might be going down soon in terms of personnel (meaning coach/player movement)

Dunno, just thought it was worth mentioning

No way. The guy was probably traveling up to his lake house or something for Mother's Day weekend and just took the day off. I'm convinced the Sox front office types work about 10-15 hours per week maximum. The results on the field seem to imply that my hyppthesis is correct.