Will the Sox do the right thing when Eloy comes back and move Yoan to 2B?

joejoesox

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The best players on winning teams do not all offer whatever is best for the team in every scenario, that is silly.  

Where did I write IN ANY SCENARIO? 

At any rate, the Rays are another perfect example here of organizations impressing upon players like Yandy Diaz and 10-15 plus others like the developing Cronenworth the value of positional flexibility. 

Mix and match. 

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At any rate, the Rays are another perfect example here of organizations impressing upon players like Yandy Diaz and 10-15 plus others like the developing Cronenworth the value of positional flexibility. 

Mix and match. 

It doesn’t matter, you implied that they all do it. 

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It doesn’t matter, you implied that they all do it. 

Winning organizations do tend to foster that culture. 

Every single Japanese team does. 

It's also why they play fundamentally sound baseball...for coming from the 2014-2015 Royals, Grifol didn't absorb all that much. 

Or he was the wrong coach for this specific set of players in terms of their skill sets. 

The Royals back then were essentially built on this model of emulating the Japanese league teams because of limited power but an overabundance of speed bat to ball contact skills and defense. 

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At any rate, the Rays are another perfect example here of organizations impressing upon players like Yandy Diaz and 10-15 plus others like the developing Cronenworth the value of positional flexibility

Mix and match. 

Kama sutra?

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Winning organizations do tend to foster that culture. 

Every single Japanese team does. 

It's also why they play fundamentally sound baseball...for coming from the 2014-2015 Royals, Grifol didn't absorb all that much. 

Or he was the wrong coach for this specific set of players in terms of their skill sets. 

The Royals back then were essentially built on this model of emulating the Japanese league teams because of limited power but an overabundance of speed bat to ball contact skills and defense. 

Ah back to all the winning teams all do this.  Well it was fun 

• Thanks 1

I dont agree with people on this board complaining about defense but then support a move like this. 

I would most certainly have Eloy in the outfield than Burger at 3B and Yoan at 2B. It doesnt make any sense. 

Burger is a great story but Im not sold yet. He is very much held up by his large slugging percentage and his K rate is still too high to count on any consistant production. 

Keep Yoan where he is at. He is having a good season thus far. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kwill said:

I dont agree with people on this board complaining about defense but then support a move like this. 

I would most certainly have Eloy in the outfield than Burger at 3B and Yoan at 2B. It doesnt make any sense. 

Burger is a great story but Im not sold yet. He is very much held up by his large slugging percentage and his K rate is still too high to count on any consistant production. 

Keep Yoan where he is at. He is having a good season thus far. 

Vaughn  has proven that he is a good hitter but I am not sure he is ever going to hit 30-35 HR. He is more of a line-drive / ground ball hitter who occasionally runs into one. Can an argument be made to give Burger some starts at 1B to take advantage of his HR swing?

1 hour ago, tray said:

Vaughn  has proven that he is a good hitter but I am not sure he is ever going to hit 30-35 HR. He is more of a line-drive / ground ball hitter who occasionally runs into one. Can an argument be made to give Burger some starts at 1B to take advantage of his HR swing?

I actually fully agree with first being the position that should be tried for him.   I don’t think he would ever have the range required for second, and he hasn’t been a quality mlb third baseman so far, maybe first can hide him a bit defensively 

11 hours ago, zisk said:

yoan is elite at 3rd

(1) He's really not.  -.2 DWAR this year and .6 DWAR last year are not "elite" ... and if he hits .626 OPS like last year, his defense is irrelevant. 

However, this is also NOT the issue.

(2) The issue is which combination puts the team in best position to win:

3B Moncada / 2B Andrus <---- Burger is not playing, or else you are log jamming with Sheets/Eloy/Vaughn which has been exhaustively proven to NOT work for 2 years now

3B Burger / 2B Andrus <----- Andrus sucks, why would you do this?

3B Burger / 2B Moncada <---- this is the obvious best choice; it puts the two better players on the field despite the potential defensive issues.

Edited by Illinibat
  • Like 3

On 5/16/2023 at 8:09 AM, MiddleCoastBias said:

I forgot Eloy was even on the team, jeez.  This argument is moot anyway because another injury to someone will free up a spot and solve the logjam before it becomes a real concern.

I came here to post that Burger should just play 2B as his bat is needed in the lineup. But you're right that someone else probably gets hurt before Eloy is back or shortly after and a spot will open up.

Moving Yoan to 2nd base narrative needs to stop.

Short sighted WS fans want to move a potential gold glove 3rd baseman to play a position that he did not play well when tried earlier in his career.  This is such a white sox thing. 

I agree Burger needs to play but not by moving Yoan.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I came here to post that Burger should just play 2B as his bat is needed in the lineup. But you're right that someone else probably gets hurt before Eloy is back or shortly after and a spot will open up.

What reason do you have to believe that Burger could handle MI duty? 

Just now, 2Deep said:

Moving Yoan to 2nd base narrative needs to stop.

Short sighted WS fans want to move a potential gold glove 3rd baseman to play a position that he did not play well when tried earlier in his career.  This is such a white sox thing. 

I agree Burger needs to play but not by moving Yoan.   

Chapman already has the GG wrapped up... 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think you just have to play Eloy in RF. He’s going to get hurt even if he’s the DH so might as well.

No argument there.  Burger has earned a spot in the everyday lineup IMO.  Can we honestly say that about Benintendi, Sheets, Vaughn, or Eloy?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

No argument there.  Burger has earned a spot in the everyday lineup IMO.  Can we honestly say that about Benintendi, Sheets, Vaughn, or Eloy?  

Eloy was at least heating up before he got hurt. And he's getting paid like Benintendi. Can't really say the other 2 have.

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Eloy was at least heating up before he got hurt. And he's getting paid like Benintendi. Can't really say the other 2 have.

Benintendi brings much needed defense to the OF, but Leury was a better hitter through 2021.

1. .758 2020 Leury
  2. .739 2017 Leury
  3. .711 2021 Leury
  4. .688 2019 Leury
  5. .686 2023 Benintendi
  6. .679 2018 Leury