Liam Hendriks' return appears imminent

Would be awesome to see Liam return to the team this week.

Hendriks said he originally planned to return to Chicago on Sunday and be ready for the series that begins Tuesday against the Cleveland Guardians. He allowed four runs on two home runs in two-thirds of an inning in his previous outing Thursday, and he said he didn’t “want to be a burden” on the team by returning before he was ready.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Would be awesome to see Liam return to the team this week.

Pen looks a whole lot better with the return of Liam and Crochet imminent, Kelly's newfound Cueto/Zesty Nesty inspired leg twirl dominance and the emergence of Kenyan and Santos, it's really a shame they've dug themselves such a deep hole. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Pen looks a whole lot better with the return of Liam and Crochet imminent, Kelly's newfound Cueto/Zesty Nesty inspired leg twirl dominance and the emergence of Kenyan and Santos, it's really a shame they've dug themselves such a deep hole. 

And that they have a terrible starting rotation and bad lineup 

1 hour ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Pen looks a whole lot better with the return of Liam and Crochet imminent. 

Throwing Crochet into this pen is ridiculous.  This team's problems are far, far deeper than the bullpen.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Throwing Crochet into this pen is ridiculous.  This team's problems are far, far deeper than the bullpen.

Yep, a good organization takes a crack at using this year to build up his arm in the minors and see if he ever has a shot at starting, especially when the Sox will desperately need starting pitching next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Yep, a good organization takes a crack at using this year to build up his arm in the minors and see if he ever has a shot at starting, especially when the Sox will desperately need starting pitching next year.

Yeah, I mean, he’s not going to throw a ton of innings this year anyway. Might as well pitch him in the minors.

Edit: I was someone who was pro-“him getting those innings at the MLB level Tim the bullpen this year” but 14 games under .500 had changed my tune. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

Not sure Liam is ready to return. ERA at Charlotte is now 10.80. One inning tonight and gave up another homer. Not to sure what to make of his struggles as it may be just trying to get his strength back and concentrate on getting the ball over the plate? 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Not sure Liam is ready to return. ERA at Charlotte is now 10.80. One inning tonight and gave up another homer. Not to sure what to make of his struggles as it may be just trying to get his strength back and concentrate on getting the ball over the plate? 

Back when players in FA would sign in June due to QO's...almost none of those guys starting midseason ever pitched or played as well as expected. 

And those were largely healthy players...not recovering from lymphoma/cancer.

6 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

No spring training. Off season program was altered.What chemo did to his body.  It's going to be a bit. I'm amazed he is where he is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

No spring training. Off season program was altered.What chemo did to his body.  It's going to be a bit. I'm amazed he is where he is. 

The White Sox’s training staff insists he can run some dirt on all that and be ready to go. 10 innings is way more than people should ever need in a rehab outing.

8 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

Not sure? I'm sure he isn't ready, but the Sox are in desperation mode right now, which is why they rushed TA back. 

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Not sure? I'm sure he isn't ready, but the Sox are in desperation mode right now, which is why they rushed TA back. 

Yeah, with the team now being 13 under .500 and the bullpen having guys with ERAs of: 9.45, 6.23, 7.64 in it, might as well just let him work through it up here.

Everyone needs to be patient with his comeback.

He was diagnosed with cancer on 1-9-2023.

It was announced he was cancer free on 4-20-2023

I realize he is being lit up at Charlotte with a plus 10 ERA. I also get his fastball is way down.

We seem to forgetting Liam was battling cancer and receiving intense chemotherapy and radiation. I know two people personally who did beat cancer. The amount of strength and energy stolen from them in battling cancer was incomprehensible. 

As a result, we can't expect miracles from Hendricks. I think eventually Liam will get his strength and fastball back...but it probably won't be happening in the very near future. 

The fact is the Sox don't have to trade him at the 2023 deadline. They have a club option on him for 2024 at a reasonable 15 million. Maybe by next season he gets his total game back and then at the 2024 deadline we can trade him as a rental for prospects. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Everyone needs to be patient with his comeback.

He was diagnosed with cancer on 1-9-2023.

It was announced he was cancer free on 4-20-2023

I realize he is being lit up at Charlotte with a plus 10 ERA. I also get his fastball is way down.

We seem to forgetting Liam was battling cancer and receiving intense chemotherapy and radiation. I know two people personally who did beat cancer. The amount of strength and energy stolen from them in battling cancer was incomprehensible. 

As a result, we can't expect miracles from Hendricks. I think eventually Liam will get his strength and fastball back...but it probably won't be happening in the very near future. 

The fact is the Sox don't have to trade him at the 2023 deadline. They have a club option on him for 2024 at a reasonable 15 million. Maybe by next season he gets his total game back and then at the 2024 deadline we can trade him as a rental for prospects. 

Plus the bullpen seems to have found a groove lately. There's zero reason to have him on the Sox now .

As much as he wants to help the team he needs to be a little selfish now and take his time.

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Liam Hendriks' return appears imminent