Trading One Year Assets is Inevitable. Maybe even 2-yr

SouthSideGeorgia

31 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

You might not be worried about saving payroll but after paying above average payrolls for a fee years now with weaker than anticipated gate revenues and very little playoff TV money, Jerry's limited partners and Jerry himself are less than thrilled with the ROI so payroll is a legitimate issue and undoubtedly will need to be slashed significantly from their POV.

Sure…but the point I’m making is that it changes nothing. We aren’t going to sign big free agents regardless, nor is the team in a position to sign veterans at this point. With the lack of viable talent in the organization worrying about the payroll is like worrying about a scratch on a car that has a blown engine. The payroll will be reduced naturally just because the team needs to be blown up and rebuilt, AGAIN.  

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Trade TA and someway somehow pry Taylor Walls from the Rays. TB needs starting pitching, maybe Gio for Walls and a prospect.

This is exactly the opposite of how TB operates.  Walls is a superior fielder,  surprisingly pesky hitter and young/cheap.

They'd want nothing to do with a one year rental... certainly not for Walls. 

13 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

19-30, 49 games played (30%), 7.0 games behind Twins, 59 games until trade deadline on Aug 1st. What will the Sox do?

What should the Sox do?

6.5 games back of Twins 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

19-30, 49 games played (30%), 7.0 games behind Twins, 59 games until trade deadline on Aug 1st. What will the Sox do?

What should the Sox do?

Everyone who's contract expires this season is gone if teams will have them.

I wouldn't trade TA until the off-season. Would be stupid to trade him while his value is at its lowest point. Which means Hahn will probably trade him in the next 5-6 weeks

Hendriks will be dealt if he comes back and has some good outings

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Everyone who's contract expires this season is gone if teams will have them.

I wouldn't trade TA until the off-season. Would be stupid to trade him while his value is at its lowest point. Which means Hahn will probably trade him in the next 5-6 weeks

Hendriks will be dealt if he comes back and has some good outings

Agree. That would mean Giolito, Grandal (heck, trade him now before he slumps), Lopez and Middleton have some perceived value for different reasons. I doubt Andrus and Alberto can be moved at this point. 

Anderson should be considered for trading if the value is right, but he is at the lowest point of his career. Tough to move him mid-slump. 

Hendriks, Graveman, J. Kelly are all 2-year bullpen arms and might offer some interesting trade offers. Maybe. Not sure Lance Lynn offers any trade value. Or Clevinger (maybe more than Lynn). 

• Hawk 1

If Joe Kelly keeps pitching like he has, he’s going to bring a very nice return if Sox are sellers.

I think Sox would need to be >7 GB in late July for this FO to sell. Not saying I agree with that, but don’t see them admitting failure and cutting bait unless they have no other option. 

I hope Sox fans are prepared for what's about to happen by the deadline, we are walking into a multi year stretch of bad Sox baseball, like 2007 or worse. I for one can't wait to 'hate-watch' this dumpster fire, Brooks Boyer is gonna block a lot of people on Twitter. 

• Fire 1

This might be insane, but I want to see us play this season through. At this point? Just f**k it. You invested everything and years upon years into this “window”. The division is going to be within our grasp come late July, IMO. Just go try and win it. Not saying mortgage anything, but why tear it down now? Just see what happens…

5.5 games back in a bad division with the worst of our schedule potentially out of the way and 111 freakin games left. Just… go give it your all one last time. Maybe the impossible happens and we stay healthy. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

This might be insane, but I want to see us play this season through. At this point? Just f**k it. You invested everything and years upon years into this “window”. The division is going to be within our grasp come late July, IMO. Just go try and win it. Not saying mortgage anything, but why tear it down now? Just see what happens…

Then offer Giolito a QO? 

Obviously they won't risk that with Grandal...or Lopez. 

Then Lynn and Clevinger are shrugging face emojis for 2024. 

Edited by caulfield12

On 5/23/2023 at 9:53 AM, joejoesox said:

I hope Sox fans are prepared for what's about to happen by the deadline, we are walking into a multi year stretch of bad Sox baseball, like 2007 or worse. I for one can't wait to 'hate-watch' this dumpster fire, Brooks Boyer is gonna block a lot of people on Twitter. 

Just slash your wrists but first off with your fingers. 

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Topic still applies weeks later. With the Central trashed overall, Sox could still trade away 1 or 2 year assets for farm talent and still possibly compete in this horrid division. Any team that wins the Central at this point shouldn’t expect more than a first round elimination. 

E4334B77-65CA-45B2-A300-401BDF0D6A6E.jpeg

I tend to agree. Hell trade more than that for some ready, or almost mlb ready talent and they prob play nearly the same. Or better since the younger guys will presumably....care.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I tend to agree. Hell trade more than that for some ready, or almost mlb ready talent and they prob play nearly the same. Or better since the younger guys will presumably....care.

Before that, Hahn should contact teams like Tampa or Atlanta with the false idea the White Sox are buyers and have a chance to compete with a couple shrewd trades. Then when those teams come to us with their proposals, after having scoured whatever “talent” is available in the minors, we tell them we’ve decided to change course and keep the players they’ve identified. Now we atleast know from trusted organizations who has potential! From there, trade whatever value we can receive for the players with 1 or 2 years left on their contracts

• 3 weeks later...

It stinks because Clevinger’s injury now thru Allstar game makes him basically impossible to move (even though his off the field crap may have already caused that.)

Lance Lynn cannot get his option next year and he has done nothing but make himself a DFA candidate, at best. 

Joe Kelly way off from his 12 appearances with just 1 ER. He may have a little trade interest, but he peaked in late May. 

Have to move Giolito, Grandal and Middleton if they can before deadline, at a minimum. Maybe Lopez if he has any perceived value at this point being under 30. 

Just now, SouthSideGeorgia said:

It stinks because Clevinger’s injury now thru Allstar game makes him basically impossible to move (even though his off the field crap may have already caused that.)

Lance Lynn cannot get his option next year and he has done nothing but make himself a DFA candidate, at best. 

Joe Kelly way off from his 12 appearances with just 1 ER. He may have a little trade interest, but he peaked in late May. 

Have to move Giolito, Grandal and Middleton if they can before deadline, at a minimum. Maybe Lopez if he has any perceived value at this point being under 30. 

He could have a couple decent starts if he’s not out too long after ASB.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Joe Kelly has a 2.77 FIP and can either be a 1 year rental or kept for an additional year at a reasonable price for a high end bullpen arm. There should be plenty of interest.

On 5/16/2023 at 12:39 PM, T R U said:

Its looking like its going to be an ugly future coming, but hey, outside of 2005 its been that way for over a hundred years anyways so whats a decade more?

Life or death for the older diehards.  Another decade?  That's 10 more years.  I have gotten angry enough to f*** this s%*# and just go find good baseball elsewhere, this year it's the Reds.  I'm realizing it's more fun to start every professional sports season as an armchair fan.  I watch with no bias and then start to jump on the UNDERDOG teams that play the sport with youth, enthusiasm, charisma, grit and a team desire to win.  And even if that doesn't happen they gave it there all mentally & physically.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Wonder how much the Reds management is willing to go for it this year. Will they be patient and wait on more from the farm? They are many starting pitchers short of playoff success it appears. But that young offense is very exciting to watch. 

Pretty fucked up that they are running out Luke Weaver and his 6.96 ERA every 5th day.

• Like 2