Benintendi 7

Robert 8

Burger DH

Grandal 2

Jimenez 9

Vaughn/Sheets 3

Anderson 6

Alberto/Andrus 4

I tend to agree. The likely scenario is that it doesn't matter. However if you truly want to climb out of the big hole you dug yourself into then you must explore every option that could work to your advantage. It's not smart to keep giving TA the most AB's on the team. More about that later.

I was also thinking Yoan was a good guy to replace TA at the top but Yoan is actually swinging the bat and not looking at as many pitches. I wouldn't want him to start looking at more pitches just because he's leading off now. Unfortunately his BB% is at a career low 3%. He cannot seem to find a fine line between being a good hitter while still getting the 8%+ BB%

However, Benintendi's BB% is 7.9 and he's a positive base runner while Yoan is not. Yoan's slugging is also higher but he hasn't done well with RISP but he has done very well leading off an inning and hitting when there is 1 out. So I actually like the order Benintendi 1, Yoan 2 , but only against a RHP. We're not even sure yet if Yoan can bat RH. I don't think he has hit RH yet since he came back . Benintendi is also fine against a LHP but then I'd put Burger 2nd. AFter that just mix and match depending on the handedness of the pitchers so do what you can to get Moncada, Sheets,Grandal in there against RHP.

Burger is now hitting RHP pretty well. However he's been hot at home but not on the road. He's also killing it while playing DH but not  when he plays the field ( a very respectable .831 OPS but BA and OBP way down). So just keep Burger at DH all the time and perhaps he will start hitting better on the road. Of course this will present a problem when Eloy gets back.

Unfortunately we have to rely on a small sample size for most of this. In the last 6 games since he got off the IL  he's hit .500 which coincides with being at home and not playing 3rd base except the 1 game Moncada was out of the lineup because a LHP was on the mound May 18th against Logan Allen. That was the worse game Burger has had in the 6 games (1for4) and Grifol batted him 4th. While the sample size is very small as to not draw too many conclusions the recent data shows that perhaps when you move Burger into the middle of the lineup make sure he's at home and playing DH. I mean eventually we'll have to see if he can hit on the road as the DH. But in those 6 game his OPS is right around 1.300 with 1 double, 1 triple and 3 HR.

A new manager comes in and says he supports sabremetrics and data analysis but you then have to start thinking small sample sizes do make a difference because of health road vs home statistics , RH or LH pitcher and ride hot streaks.  I wouldn't break it down much more than that and get into stuff about which position in the lineup you hit best at.  Lineups should be constantly changing based on a few key factors and sticking guys into permanent lineup spots is just plain stubbornness .

I'd consider all of this temporary until TA shows he's healthy and can hit some fly balls. His sprint speed is 40% and that's just not TA . He's babying his leg. It's senseless to continue to lead him off not just from a statistical standpoint but also from a health standpoint. His Average Launch Angle is -0.1 . That is not a typo.

You can no longer afford to give guys the benefit of the doubt when they aren't producing just because of his name. You have to take advantage of everything you can do for better offensive production. If you don't you get what you deserve to keep losing.

14 hours ago, pcq said:

I heard he's a punk and should leave town. 

I heard that too and I also heard he has a flight arriving in Chicago right around the trade deadline, to send his sorry ass to some contending playoff team for some prospects.

The Sox might have been able to put up with his poor attitude if he was having the years like he did in 2019 and 2020. Right now though, the Sox do not need his selfish and cavalier attitude with a stat line of: .246/.282/.288/.570/.0.5 WAR...especially as a leadoff hitter! 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I tend to agree. The likely scenario is that it doesn't matter. However if you truly want to climb out of the big hole you dug yourself into then you must explore every option that could work to your advantage. It's not smart to keep giving TA the most AB's on the team. More about that later.

I was also thinking Yoan was a good guy to replace TA at the top but Yoan is actually swinging the bat and not looking at as many pitches. I wouldn't want him to start looking at more pitches just because he's leading off now. Unfortunately his BB% is at a career low 3%. He cannot seem to find a fine line between being a good hitter while still getting the 8%+ BB%

However, Benintendi's BB% is 7.9 and he's a positive base runner while Yoan is not. Yoan's slugging is also higher but he hasn't done well with RISP but he has done very well leading off an inning and hitting when there is 1 out. So I actually like the order Benintendi 1, Yoan 2 , but only against a RHP. We're not even sure yet if Yoan can bat RH. I don't think he has hit RH yet since he came back . Benintendi is also fine against a LHP but then I'd put Burger 2nd. AFter that just mix and match depending on the handedness of the pitchers so do what you can to get Moncada, Sheets,Grandal in there against RHP.

Moncada/Benintendi, Benintendi/Moncada, either one is better than having Anderson up there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Moncada/Benintendi, Benintendi/Moncada, either one is better than having Anderson up there.

I actually like TA but it seems he has some things going on and it may be that injuries are catching up with him. It looks like the huge payday he wanted will not come to pass. If he can still hit he might have a future at 2B.

The ongoing problem with TA has always been that there’s never really been a plan B for his high BABIP streak. He doesn’t take enough walks and he doesn’t have nearly enough power to compensate for a streak like this. Couple it with the recent defensive and baserunning lapses and it’s a perfect storm of bad. It would be helpful if he started to make some adjustments. 

Offensively, Anderson — who led the majors with a .335 batting average in 2019 — is ‘‘an [at-bat] away, a game away from taking off and hitting .320 the rest of the year,’’ Grifol said. ‘‘I’m not concerned, I’m not panicked.’’

😄

"I’m the best player on the field every time I step on the field. I think everybody knows that." -Anderson to Merkin Wednesday.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Offensively, Anderson — who led the majors with a .335 batting average in 2019 — is ‘‘an [at-bat] away, a game away from taking off and hitting .320 the rest of the year,’’ Grifol said. ‘‘I’m not concerned, I’m not panicked.’’

😄

"I’m the best player on the field every time I step on the field. I think everybody knows that." -Anderson to Merkin Wednesday.

Really Tim?!? Is that the "Field" Museum? Marshall "Fields"?  Elysian "Fields"? Because it sure as hell isn't a baseball "field". I get needing to believe in yourself to play at this level, but delusional thinking is never good. Start working harder to understand situational baseball, take the ball the other way with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs, and get your feet in proper throwing position rather than dropping down 3/4's and lollipoping the ball to first. Yeesh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I suppose I’m somewhat heartened that Tim is confident… but my confidence is pretty shook right now. I want the good Tim back. 

The Sox will need him to turn it on soon if they want a shot at a winning season. The two most SoxTalk hated position players are the only regulars over the White Sox Mendoza line during the "Trying Era".

2020-2023 White Sox TWTW Standings through May 22, 2023

(Player Win / Loss Records Over / Under .500 in games played Bold since "Trying Era" (Career if pre 2020 member))

1. .808 105-25 Liam Hendriks
  2. .778 21-6 Alex Colome (.730 65-24)
  3. .729 62-23 Kendall Graveman
  4. .622 46-28 Billy Hamilton
  5. .609 78-50 Aaron Bummer (.553 140-113)
  6. .589 33-23 Joe Kelly
  7. .575 46-34 Michael Kopech (.571 48-36)
  8. .555 162-126 Tim Anderson (.473 383-426
  9. .546 178-148 Yoan Moncada (.475 314-347)
  10. .530 35-31 Garrett Crochet
  11. .523 230-210 Chicago White Sox 2020-2023
  12. .522 117-107 Eloy Jimenez (.488 169-177)
  13. .517 31-29 Lance Lynn
  14. .513 40-38 Dylan Cease (.500 46-46)
  15. .513 142-135 Luis Robert Junior
  16. .503 156-154 Andrew Vaughn 
  17. .502 143-142 Yasmani Grandal
  18. .500 56-56 Reynaldo Lopez (.476 88-97)
  19. .500 13-13 Hanser Alberto
  20. .500 7-7 Davis Martin
  21. .500 5-5 Carlos Perez
  22. .500 1-1 Clint Frazier
  23. .482 41-44 Lucas Giolito (.490 75-78)
  24. .480 61-66 Seby Zavala (.477 63-69)
  25. .472 17-19 Adam Haseley
  26. .470 102-115 Gavin Sheets
  27. .444 4-5 Mike Clevinger
  28. .444 4-5 Jake Marisnick
  29. .443 43-54 Jake Burger
  30. .413 45-64 Matt Foster
  31. .402 33-49 Elvis Andrus
  32. .400 18-27 Andrew Benintendi
  33. .382 26-42 Jimmy Lambert
  34. .379 25-41 Romy Gonzalez
  35. .375 6-10 Kenyan Middleton
  36. .348 46-86 Jose Ruiz (.315 56-122)
  37. .320 8-17 Oscar Colas
  38. .303 10-23 Lenyn Sosa
  39. .256 10-29 Jake Diekman
  40. .231 9-30 Tanner Banks
  41. .182 4-18 Gregory Santos
  42. .000 0-1 Nicholas Padilla
  43. .000 0-1 Sammy Peralta
  44. .000 0-3 Jesse Scholtens

Awaiting First White Sox Game:  Bryan Ramos & Jose Rodriguez.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

😄

Anderson needs to shut his mouth and let his bat do the talking, I can see where his teammates might not be enamored with him and his inane statements like comparing himself to Jackie Robinson and saying he’s still the best player on the field. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I saw this on MLB.com last night and I had to do a doubletake.  Who says that?  I know athletes need to have an edge and an ego but, dude, it's a team game.  You just offended every teammate.  Baseball, more than any other sport, demands humility.  The game WILL get the best of you.  You WILL fail.  You WILL struggle.  You WILL have to rely on your teammates.  That's Rickey Henderson level arrogance.  You'd never hear those words out of guys like Pujols, Trout, Ohtani, Judge, etc...hell, I don't even think ARod would say that to the press.

I remember when Tim had humility.  Apparently, a YouTube film, a "face of the game" designation, and a couple all star appearances gave him one hell of an ego problem.  When TA got the All Star nod and the lack of celebration in the clubhouse was chalked up to TLR's effect on the team, I think we may need to revisit that video.  That cold reception could have just as easily been due to TA walking around with an ego the size of Jupiter and his teammates being sick of it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

😄

He needs to be traded! His attitude sucks and so does his hitting. The best players on the field don't have stat lines like this: 

GP  HR RBI BB AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS  WAR
31    0     6    6  .244  .284  .283  .567  -0.6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

“Everybody knows what type of hitter I am. I wouldn’t throw myself a fastball right now either,”

What?  Pretty sure Anderson couldn't catch up to a 94mph fastball yesterday.  Maybe his ego won't allow him to work on his current flawed swing.

TA is so delusional. In the top of 7th inning last night after we went ahead 4-2 with no outs, Tim Anderson lead off and struck out. The last two swings and misses were both just basic fastballs he could not catch up to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

😄

Being better than Roger Bossard is nothing to text home about.

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

😄

Starting to think he and Abreu may not have been what we and the media portrayed them to be.

I certainly as s%*# know he isn't the top player on the field if Jose Ramirez is playing or next week when Trout and Ohtani are out but maybe his talking about the White Sox, in which he may could arguably between 1 and 5.  

Confidence is great unless it is linked with stupidity.  There is not a single person in that organization that should be feeling really good about themselves right now.  NOT ONE!

• Like 2