5/23 Sox @ Guardians 5:10PM

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Is that Platinum??

Per Wikipedia:

The "Olympic Rings" or platinum sombrero applies to a player striking out five times in a game.[4]

A horn refers to a player striking out six times in a game; the term was coined by pitcher Mike Flanaganafter teammate Sam Horn of the Baltimore Oriolesaccomplished the feat in an extra-inning game in 1991.[5][6] Alternate names for this accomplishment are titanium sombrero or double platinum sombrero.[7]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Unfortunately Ricky was fired to accommodate JR/TLR bromance.

Ricky sucked and should have been fired. The problem is that we hired to bad replacements in a row. I just don't think a team that wants to win, (even if they are delusional) hires Grifol to be their manager. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Ricky sucked and should have been fired. The problem is that we hired to bad replacements in a row. I just don't think a team that wants to win, (even if they are delusional) hires Grifol to be their manager. 

Ricky was a good manager for a developing team.

He wasn’t seen as a guy to get them over the hump and transition from “developing” to “contending” (quotes intentional).

31 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

It never ends. Sox should be renamed the Chicago Frail Sox.

Sounds about right. Eloy about to come back so now jt will be Roberts turn on the IL….coming around the turn for the next IL stint after him is Grandal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Ricky was a good manager for a developing team.

He wasn’t seen as a guy to get them over the hump and transition from “developing” to “contending” (quotes intentional).

I agree with you to a certain extent.  All went great until the last week of the short season, when the team started to stagger and Ricky began to act sort of nutty in an attempt to shock them back on track. That may have been the signal to management to replace him (or the opportunity to hire an old buddy for no damn good reason).

Just now, Stinky Stanky said:

I agree with you to a certain extent.  All went great until the last week of the short season, when the team started to stagger and Ricky began to act sort of nutty in an attempt to shock them back on track. That may have been the signal to management to replace him (or the opportunity to hire an old buddy for no damn good reason).

Yeah, seems like he wasn't the guy to take them over the hump. In a 162 game season that last week would have been just another stretch, but in the 2020 season it was way too important. 

37 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Well that and the fact he only had one decent starter.

Hahn Executive of the Year, Ricky extended 63 games earlier Fired.

Does not compute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capn12 said:

If Luis isn't playing tomorrow, and we have an outfield with Haesley and Sheets in CF/RF, with Tim a no show at the plate, and the terrible getaway line up....oh boy.

“Robert is just day to day,” Grifol said. “Has some soreness in his quad. But he’s good. I’m going to give him the day [off Wednesday].”

• Haha 1