And That's A Romy Gonzalez White Sox Winner!!!

Starting pitching has been much better which helps the bullpen. And the bullpen has looked great lately. The offense is still frustrating but the pitching should keep them in most games. May has just been much better, unfortunately I think most fans tuned out after that putrid April.

32 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Genuinely curious, has there ever been an entire division under .500 this late in the season? I think mathematically it would have been harder in the past playing your own division way more.

I think we have a real shot!

At the time of the 1994 labor impasse with MLB shut down in August the Texas Rangers were in first place in the division with a record of 52-62. Given there were only 48 games remaining the odds of them getting over the .500 mark were very slim. They would have played the Sox in the first round if the season continued.  Every team in the division was under .500 at the time of the stoppage.  

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, wegner said:

Starting pitching has been much better which helps the bullpen. And the bullpen has looked great lately. The offense is still frustrating but the pitching should keep them in most games. May has just been much better, unfortunately I think most fans tuned out after that putrid April.

Thankfully I began to tune in just around then (wasn't on SoxTalk in February, March and the first half of April). Sox are 8-5 this season when I listen or watch. That is an 100-62 record if I listen or watch every game. :cool:

• South Side Hit Men 2023 ESPN 1000 AM Record 8-4! 8 Wins (5/2, 5/3, 5/5, 5/16, 5/19, 5/20, 5/21, 5/23) 4 Losses (5/4, 5/14, 5/17, 5/22).
  • South Side Hit Men 2023 TV Record 0-1. (4/22 - I don't have cable, but perhaps will catch a game at a bar or national TV Game).

My Game Threads are on pause until there is a new GM and or Owner.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

24 minutes ago, wegner said:

They can all come back on board, the water is fine.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Quin said:

Cali you can't just be putting those vibes out into the universe.

Comparitively speaking  my Sox vibes are pretty good. Maybe not elrockin good. It's just that this is the 4th year they've been team mates and not once have we ever seen them both hitting great in the lineup for any extended period. I'd take a nice 50 game stretch of Eloy and Robert bashing at the same time.

• Like 2

Nice win.  Cease was fine.  Bullpen was really good again, although Kelly tried to hurt himself.  Loved seeing a Yaz bat drop.  Romy earning more playing time.  Frazier could be an answer in RF.

Anderson is really struggling at the plate.  He needs to move down in the order.  Maybe the 2-hole is not the place for Burger.

It's crazy how bad the division is.  A team with the record the Sox have is not a team that is in contention to win the division.  But we'll take it.  However, this probably means another trade deadline where the Sox do little to nothing.

9 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

At the time of the 1994 labor impasse with MLB shut down in August the Texas Rangers were in first place in the division with a record of 52-62. Given there were only 48 games remaining the odds of them getting over the .500 mark were very slim. They would have played the Sox in the first round if the season continued.  Every team in the division was under .500 at the time of the stoppage.  

That 1994 Sox team still does and will always bother me because that team was good enough to the World Series. 

Even though Frank Thomas only played 113 games that year, his stat line for 1994 was on par with any of his other huge seasons when he played a full season.

I am posting Frank's 1994 year below when he won the MVP and look how it compares to the previous season in 1993 when he also won the MVP.

Year    G      AB     R     H     2B    HR  RBI    BB     BA   OBP   SLG      OPS    WAR
1994  113  399  106  141   34    38   101   109  .353  .487   .729    1.217    7.0     MVP

1993  153  549  106  174   36    41   128   112  .317  .426    .607   1.033    6.3     MVP 

Cease looked better and bullpen was sharp again. 

It was really bothersome in the top of the 7th when we went ahead 4-2 from Romy our weakest hitter, then with no outs and runners on 2nd and third, Anderson, Burger and Robert all strikeout.

Good teams jump all over a team when they are vulnerable like that. 

The Sox going forward will tease us with some victories here and there and give us false hope they can win the division...but the fact still remains, this is a seriously flawed offensive team.

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thankfully I began to tune in just around then (wasn't on SoxTalk in February, March and the first half of April). Sox are 8-5 this season when I listen or watch. That is an 100-62 record if I listen or watch every game. :cool:

• South Side Hit Men 2023 ESPN 1000 AM Record 8-4! 8 Wins (5/2, 5/3, 5/5, 5/16, 5/19, 5/20, 5/21, 5/23) 4 Losses (5/4, 5/14, 5/17, 5/22).
  • South Side Hit Men 2023 TV Record 0-1. (4/22 - I don't have cable, but perhaps will catch a game at a bar or national TV Game).

My Game Threads are on pause until there is a new GM and or Owner.

When they lose next, I'm going to assume you weren't tuned in. 😎

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's the thing.  As a long time fan you cannot look at he standings and address it as they are not good so I will not appreciate a pennant chase. 

Go back in the history of baseball and in the pre-70s days it was the Yankees, every year.  Then more recently it was Oakland in teh early 90's and then the Indians.

My frustration is the Kenny Williams regime has failed to build upon a weak ass division.  The A's and Indians ofthe 90s were beasts now it's all average and for the alst 20 yeas the White Sox should have averaged 90+ wins.

I will still take meaningful games and these are becoming such.

2 hours ago, wegner said:

When they lose next, I'm going to assume you weren't tuned in. 😎

I'm listening today, but will likely pee my pants every time a ball is hit to RF or CF.

The last time I considered peeing my pants was for a good cause (2007), though I cancelled after my young niece cried because I was going to pee in my pants on purpose. :D

https://afsportsforum.com/threads/pee-your-pants-for-the-brewers.6309/

"I said you got a lumpy butt. She got mad at me and yelled at me, and I pissed in my pants.

And I never did change my pee pants all day. I'm still sitting in my dirty pee pants."

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm listening today, but will likely pee my pants every time a ball is hit to RF or CF.

The last time I considered peeing my pants was for a good cause (2007), though I cancelled after my young niece cried because I was going to pee in my pants on purpose. :D

https://afsportsforum.com/threads/pee-your-pants-for-the-brewers.6309/

Your niece was wise beyond her years....oh and thanks for listening.

Edited by wegner
  • Hawk 1