Burger taking reps at 2B

Bob Sacamano

9 hours ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

As for the topic of this thread (Burger at 2B), I'm in the camp of preferring Burger at 3B and Moncada at 2B. I think having two competent defenders at 2B and 3B is better than having gold glove caliber defense at one position and a complete black hole at the other.

This is under the assumption that Burger would make a really, really bad 2B. He has surprising speed, I just don't see the athleticism that's required for 2B . Of course the Sox coaches are in a better position to judge his ability at the position, but I don't exactly trust them to make the decision that's best for the team over secondary concerns like worrying about hurting Moncada's feelings.

I think this is one time the eye test aces all. Burger, folks, is no second baseman. OMG I see some ridiculously funny developments on bloops, grounders to his left, bullets to his right. Burger needs to be 1B/DH and that's that. 3B is acceptable but he's no Brooks Robinson there either.

In general thinking outside the box and experimenting in practice is a solid strategy. For all we know Burger has been asking for an opportunity to work out at 2nd and find more playing time. I doubt the plan back in March was to wait until June and have him be the everyday guy at second. But adapting during the season is a necessity. 

Just trade Vaughan. Get a left handed starter.  4th or 5th starter. 

let sheets take over first

burger DH

jimenez in RF. 

when colas is ready then Jimenez goes to DH. Burger is the rotator. 1B, DH, 3B. 

Romey can play second base. Or bring up Rodrigues and let him have the year at second. And Romey can be the 4th outfielder

2 minutes ago, mataipaepae said:

Just trade Vaughan. Get a left handed starter.  4th or 5th starter. 

let sheets take over first

burger DH

jimenez in RF. 

when colas is ready then Jimenez goes to DH. Burger is the rotator. 1B, DH, 3B. 

Romey can play second base. Or bring up Rodrigues and let him have the year at second. And Romey can be the 4th outfielder

I think it's too early to give up on Vaughn, you'll have to just write this season off and hope some of these guys can bounce back next year. whatever's causing Vaughn to suck is also infecting the rest of the team, that's why I don't think the problem is necessarily one specific thing or another and instead the entire team trying to overcompensate for how bad they were then first 2+ months, and baseball isn't really a sport where you can just grind harder to fix your problems

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

I think it's too early to give up on Vaughn, you'll have to just write this season off and hope some of these guys can bounce back next year. whatever's causing Vaughn to suck is also infecting the rest of the team, that's why I don't think the problem is necessarily one specific thing or another and instead the entire team trying to overcompensate for how bad they were then first 2+ months, and baseball isn't really a sport where you can just grind harder to fix your problems

I’d rather have a little more length to stretch at first base. Trade Vaughan

Buy low, sell high.

The White Sox selling off Vaughn at 50% of his trade value would be just par for the course.

And go along with getting nothing for Rodon, TA7's trade value dramatically decreased, the Madrigal trade for Kimbrel leading to Pollock leading to Benintendi (getting worse with each corresponding move), Zack Collins, Carson Fulmer, Zach Burdi, etc.

Any type of rebuild, Vaughn has more value to the White Sox than another organization until he starts getting more and more expensive in arbitration.  In a way, Hahn dodged yet another bullet by Vaughn struggling enough that a team-friendly extension was never in the cards, so they saved ONE long-term commitment to their core of young players at least.

Sheets is basically just a streaky platoon guy and a poor defender regardless of where you stick him other than DH, so you can keep him around but he's not going to be one of the core pieces of the next competitive White Sox team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He needs to play 3B, not Alberto. 

Hopefully Burger will start at 3B today.

If Burger doesn't start at 3B today, then this will once and for all acknowledge the fact...Grifol is a total idiot manager completely over his head. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

If Burger doesn't start at 3B today, then this will once and for all acknowledge the fact...Grifol is a total idiot manager completely over his hear. 

From what I saw this morning Moncada is in the starting lineup for Wednesday. 

On 5/28/2023 at 5:11 PM, joejoesox said:

Vaughn has shown to be streaky in the past and this year also. I was hoping that he would become more consistent this year based on how he has progressed from his rookie year. Looks like he's trying to pull the ball more but so far not working out. He actually did better with Menechino and is pretty adept at going to RF. He may never be a power hitting 1st baseman that way but could be a fairly competent one. Nothing special as far as 1st basemen go until he can show he can overcome his deficiencies and put up 2-3 fWAR per year.