Sox should sign Munetaka Murakami

Quin

I saw this thread too. Also watch Japanese games occasionally. Saw the Giants beat the Dragons in the Tokyo Dome a few years ago.

I'm 100% for signing Murakami. Yoan is very likely gone in 2026. The guaranteed money + posting fees are likely too much for the Sox, though.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Counterpoint: Why would a player of his talent want to come play for the Sox?

imo this is a point that isn't mentioned enough. Sox aren't attractive to big name free agents. Even when they throw out the top offer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quin said:

They can't do it until 2026. Lefty third baseman in the NPB.

This thread is mostly an excuse to post this absolute bomb that I'm guessing only @Eminor3rd has seen.

I’m a little lower on Murakami than consensus, for a couple reasons:

1. I think he’s at his absolute peak right now, maybe he holds it for another several years, but he’s a classic old player skills guy: perfect plate discipline/true slugger and I just don’t think he has anywhere to go but down.

2. he’s not actually a third baseman. Yeah he’s playing there now and he’s not a total disaster, but he’s a 1B/DH over here, and that’s only going to become truer as he ages  

I think he’s absolutely going to be a major league hitter, but I think there’s a good chance it’s as a 2-WAR first baseman. We’ll know more in a couple years.

But who knows, if there’s one thing the Sox like to collect, it’s 2 WAR first basemen. 

8 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I’m a little lower on Murakami than consensus, for a couple reasons:

1. I think he’s at his absolute peak right now, maybe he holds it for another several years, but he’s a classic old player skills guy: perfect plate discipline/true slugger and I just don’t think he has anywhere to go but down.

2. he’s not actually a third baseman. Yeah he’s playing there now and he’s not a total disaster, but he’s a 1B/DH over here, and that’s only going to become truer as he ages  

I think he’s absolutely going to be a major league hitter, but I think there’s a good chance it’s as a 2-WAR first baseman. We’ll know more in a couple years.

But who knows, if there’s one thing the Sox like to collect, it’s 2 WAR first basemen. 

I've never been sold harder on a player.

• Fire 1