Old Sox Drawer: 2023 Edition

maxjusttyped

Johnny "I don't understand why Hahn didn't keep" Cueto followed up 11ER in 3.2IP in spring with a 3ER/2IP loss in his WBC start. Then he was briefly sidelined with an arm injury. Now  1+ IP into his first start, he's given up 4 runs on two HR in the relatively pitcher friendly LoanDepot Park and is being pulled from the game.

Although he was great last year and is personally very likeable, I thought it was a perfectly rational decision at the time to not count on a repeat of last year from him.

2 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Johnny "I don't understand why Hahn didn't keep" Cueto followed up 11ER in 3.2IP in spring with a 3ER/2IP loss in his WBC start. Then he was briefly sidelined with an arm injury. Now  1+ IP into his first start, he's given up 4 runs on two HR in the relatively pitcher friendly LoanDepot Park and is being pulled from the game.

Although he was great last year and is personally very likeable, I thought it was a perfectly rational decision at the time to not count on a repeat of last year from him.

See Andrus, Elvis

On 4/3/2023 at 6:08 PM, Autumn Dreamin said:

I think the Sox squeezed the last bit of good baseball out of Cueto's career. They bought low on Cueto just like Colome & James McCann and were smart enough to cash out at the right time.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think the Sox squeezed the last bit of good baseball out of Cueto's career. They bought low on Cueto just like Colome & James McCann and were smart enough to cash out at the right time.

Colome cost Narvaez, which eventually forced them to overspend on Grandal.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think Grandal was an overpay. The first 2 years he lived up to the contract, obviously last year he did not. 2023 is still tbd.

The number of years for a catcher with that previous amount of wear and tear...well, it was very generous compared to what other teams like MIL who wanted to go year to year were willing to offer.

And they really needed a great defensive catcher more than additional offense...but no use crying over spilled milk.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems the Astros are finally making some personnel mistakes.

They also had held onto Gurriel one year too long.

Ill-advised signing of Brantley with his health record...especially in 30's now.

Obviously Altuve getting hurt in the WBC didn't help matters all that much.

Tons and tons of brain drain in that front office over the last 5 years or so.

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Abreu sucks. At least we can’t point to him sitting on 6 homers and doubles. He’s at 101 plate appearances- 4 walks, no homers.

I guess in another (alternative) universe at least $50 million of Benintendi's money went to Abreu instead...but we'd still have the same net result pretty much.

Edited by caulfield12

• Quin changed the title to Old Sox Drawer: 2023 Edition