Old Sox Drawer: 2023 Edition

maxjusttyped

56 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Rays gave Diekman the bottom of the 9th in a 6-1 game, against the bottom of the order.

He struck out one, but then loaded the bases with two singles and a walk before getting pulled.

Saw that.  Gave him a couple of earned runs.

• Quin changed the title to Old Sox Draw: 2023 Edition
25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He'd fit right in with Hahn's collection of four AAA Infielders (Alberto, Sosa, Gonzalez, Andrus).

Madrigal remains 2,829 hits away from 3,000.

Y'all really need to stop ragging on Sosa like he's a finished product at 23 years old with MLB 106 plate appearances.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Not sure where to put this............

I know hindsight is 20-20, but in the 2018 draft, Hahn used the 4th overall pick on JR SS Nick Madrigal from Oregon State. The Cincinnati Reds used the 5th overall pick to take JR 3B Johnathon India from Florida, who apparently could play other infield positions.

The Sox moved Madrigal to 2nd and then traded him. Since that trade he has failed badly for the Cubs and now being sent down to AAA.

The Reds on the other hand, moved India to 2nd base. He has been playing for the Reds three years now. This year he is:  .289/.379/415/791 and a WAR of 1.4. His 3 year career averages are .265/.360/.423/.783 with a WAR of 0.99. India is also a much bigger frame at 6'0" 200 lbs. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, pcq said:

Thought he was a five tool player. Turned out he was just a tool. Could be a Sox announcer soon. 

Honestly think he's fine needs to play everyday.. he's good for getting on base and scoring runs.  Makes them pitch or walk 3-4-5.  Fair defender but better than anything we have at 2b

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I know hindsight is 20-20, but in the 2018 draft, Hahn used the 4th overall pick on JR SS Nick Madrigal from Oregon State. The Cincinnati Reds used the 5th overall pick to take JR 3B Johnathon India from Florida, who apparently could play other infield positions.

The Sox moved Madrigal to 2nd and then traded him. Since that trade he has failed badly for the Cubs and now being sent down to AAA.

The Reds on the other hand, moved India to 2nd base. He has been playing for the Reds three years now. This year he is:  .289/.379/415/791 and a WAR of 1.4. His 3 year career averages are .265/.360/.423/.783 with a WAR of 0.99. India is also a much bigger frame at 6'0" 200 lbs. 

To be fair, OSU moved Madrigal to 2B as they had Cadyn Grenier playing SS because he was better at it...but yeah the pick stunk and luckily they traded him when he still held some value, although the trade they made also stunk so it sucks even more. 

11 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

To be fair, OSU moved Madrigal to 2B as they had Cadyn Grenier playing SS because he was better at it...but yeah the pick stunk and luckily they traded him when he still held some value, although the trade they made also stunk so it sucks even more. 

I get the Madrigal pick was bad. The point I was making is why did the Sox pick Madrigal and not India? I went back and checked and India's overall numbers were so much better in most key stats.

BA     OBP    SLG     OPS    HR   RBI    BB

Madrigal       .367   .428    .511     .939      3     34     16

India              .350   .497    .717   .1214     21    52     60

India was third in the country with walks and 17th in HR's. Actually India was only two HR's behind Andrew Vaughn who has 23 and won the Golden Spikes award. 

I guess I am trying to illustrate with just one more example of why our farm system sucks. I get Madrigal played on a NCAA title team, but Florida was also one of the top baseball teams in 2018 and finished the final baseball rankings at #3. It's not like Hahn wouldn't have all types of data on all these top players. 

This all started because I saw the post of Madrigal being sent to AAA. We not only drafted the wrong player, but when he had some decent value, Hahn got fleeced in the Cubs trade for Craig Kimbrel. We still don't have a second baseman and we could have drafted Jonathon India instead at #4, as opposed to letting India go to #5 for the Reds. 

I realize this is just one pick in 2018 and they pick some 20 plus rounds, but if you are ignorant and miss it like in this example, then imo it's safe to say the Sox FO probably made more ignorant picks throughout the draft.

28 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I get the Madrigal pick was bad. The point I was making is why did the Sox pick Madrigal and not India? I went back and checked and India's overall numbers were so much better in most key stats.

India was third in the country with walks and 17th in HR's. Actually India was only two HR's behind Andrew Vaughn who has 23 and won the Golden Spikes award. 

I guess I am trying to illustrate with just one more example of why our farm system sucks. I get Madrigal played on a NCAA title team, but Florida was also one of the top baseball teams in 2018 and finished the final baseball rankings at #3. It's not like Hahn wouldn't have all types of data on all these top players. 

This all started because I saw the post of Madrigal being sent to AAA. We not only drafted the wrong player, but when he had some decent value, Hahn got fleeced in the Cubs trade for Craig Kimbrel. We still don't have a second baseman and we could have drafted Jonathon India instead at #4, as opposed to letting India go to #5 for the Reds. 

I realize this is just one pick in 2018 and they pick some 20 plus rounds, but if you are ignorant and miss it like in this example, then imo it's safe to say the Sox FO probably made more ignorant picks throughout the draft.

India was a big pop-up guy that year, as his #s at Florida prior to that year weren't eye opening (.808 OPS in 16 and .783 in 17). I think most of the blame can go back on Hostetler/staff's player evaluation and projection capabilities.

• Quin changed the title to Old Sox Drawer: 2023 Edition

From just after the draft

2B Nick Madrigal, Oregon State University
Madrigal is the best player in college baseball, and he's the best pure hitter in this Draft, hitting a cool .406 this year for the Beavers with 13 walks and just five strikeouts. He may be only 5-foot-8, but size isn't an issue because he can hit, he can really run and he can really play second base. The Jose Altuve comparisons are a bit much because Madrigal doesn't have that kind of power, but he's not a slap-hitter, either

Nick Madrigal, Oregon State

In a sense, the Reds have the easiest decision in the draft. Bart, Bohm, Madrigal, Mize, and Singer are the top five players on the board, and they're all expected to be taken within the first five picks. The Reds will simply take whichever one of those players is still available, and in our mock draft, that's Madrigal, an undersized hitting machine and one of the "safest" players in the draft class.

16 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That draft might be the only draft I paid a lot of attention to, although I never delved into stats. I do remember liking India because he had a good baseball name .

Maybe you can take some consolation that if the Sox took India they probably would've traded him or he'd be right where Madrigal is now.

• Like 1