Sox @ Tigers 12:40

How the hell can this organization not understand the basic concept that in all divisional games where there is a two game swing, you start your nine best damned players every fucking day, and you get the scrubs their damned playing time when you play the oaklands and baltimores and inter league games that literally mean nothing in terms of divisional jockeying? How are we this dumb?

• Like 2
  • Fire 5

• Quin pinned this topic
10 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

No Moncada, no Benintendi.  Poorer defense.  Think we need to have the best lineup possible on the field in this situation down 2-1 in the series.

I rather see the seven position players rotate their off days one game at a time versus multiple guys off consistently during the final game of a series.

Punting this game makes the road trip a losing one (3-4), and deflates any momentum the team had leaving Cleveland.

LHS: SS Anderson R CF Robert Jr. R 3B Moncada S RF Jimenez R DH Burger R 1B Vaughn R C Grandal S 2B Gonzalez R LF Benintendi L 

RHS: SS Anderson R LF Benintendi L CF Robert Jr. R RF Jimenez R 3B Moncada S DH Burger R C Grandal S 1B Vaughn R 2B Gonzalez R

Elvis Andrus & Billy Hamilton Return (Alberto & Frazier AAA)

• Game 1 - Shortstop: Anderson Off, Andrus
  • Game 2 - No off days
  • Game 3 - Third Base; Moncada Off, Burger
  • Game 4 - No off days
  • Game 5 - Center Field: Robert Jr. Off, Hamilton
  • Game 6 - No off days
  • Game 7 - Left Field Benintendi Off, Sheets
  • Game 8 - No off days

Platoon or split positions:

• Catcher (Zavala - Giolito & Kopech, possibly Cease after Giolito traded; Grandal - The other 3)
  • First Base (Sheets or Burger can spell Vaughn)
  • Second Base (Gonzalez / Andrus)
  • Right Field (Eloy Primary, Sheets (1-6) Billy (7-9) Secondary)
  • Designated Hitter (Burger primary, Sheets secondary)

34 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

No Moncada, no Benintendi.  Poorer defense.  Think we need to have the best lineup possible on the field in this situation down 2-1 in the series.

I understand the frustration BUT we have got to realize that guys will need days off here and there.

If we have any shot at the division then ......

1. They have to stay healthy here on out

2. Backups have to produce 

3. Our stars need to play like stars 

59 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hells to the No.

The White Sox need three capable OFers, folks saw what happened yesterday with Sheets in RF and Frazier in CF.

But can a team that has such serious offensive woes afford to use a roster spot on Billy Hamilton. I mean he has the demeanor of having zero confidence that he is going to get a hit every time he comes to the plate. I really think he should just bunt every time up there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I understand the frustration BUT we have got to realize that guys will need days off here and there.

If we have any shot at the division then ......

1. They have to stay healthy here on out

2. Backups have to produce 

3. Our stars need to play like stars 

Losing 10 in a row cost them that luxury.  

In any case.  This offense has zero consistency and will continue to kill any chance of a prolonged streak. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Did Yoan tweak something during his last AB yesterday? That may explain his absence, but a tough lefty on the mound. I can see why you sit Benintendi. Should be PH opportunities late if Dylan keeps things quiet.

The curious thing is Eloy at 2. Rather see him hit behind Luis but what do I know? Pedro seems desperate to find an offensive spark. Alberto at 3rd is a concern.

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

How the hell can this organization not understand the basic concept that in all divisional games where there is a two game swing, you start your nine best damned players every fucking day, and you get the scrubs their damned playing time when you play the oaklands and baltimores and inter league games that literally mean nothing in terms of divisional jockeying? How are we this dumb?

They aren't dumb, they just don't care. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Losing 10 in a row cost them that luxury.  

In any case.  This offense has zero consistency and will continue to kill any chance of a prolonged streak. 

Joe Kelly has been great, but man yesterday was back breaking. 

Exactly these rest days are driving me nuts. Does the manager realize this team is 10 games under .500 and to get back to .500 and contend for the division you have to put the A-team out there unless they are injured or just worn out. Right now I don’t think anyone on the team is worn out, win now and worry about rest later in the season.

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

So does Frazier stay when Billy is back?

No MLB team has room for Hamilton he's only had 22 AB since the start of the 2022 season and has 1 hit. Great guy,great fielder, cheerleader and runner but if you can't hit there's not a place for you as a bench piece. Coach, maybe when he retires  when teams finally stop giving him the prorated MLB minimum $720K. I'd hang around too if I could get 200K for a couple months work which is more like fun for him.

Eh I don't know how meaningless other games are.

You're in a division of under .500 teams . Every time you win there's a better than 50/50 chance a couple of teams above you in the standings are going to lose. Win more games than everyone else in your division and you win the division.

I do agree that division games are more important because you control your fate. You beat them you auto gain a game on them.  But like I said when you win any non division game you're going to gain ground on someone too. But you also control your own fate by just winning more games period .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

But can a team that has such serious offensive woes afford to use a roster spot on Billy Hamilton. I mean he has the demeanor of having zero confidence that he is going to get a hit every time he comes to the plate. I really think he should just bunt every time up there.

Well, if they had a better 5th OFer who can actually field CF and RF adequately and could hit, then I'd go with that option but they don't. Billy is valuable to close out games and steal runs in tight ballgames as a PR late.

Moncada and Robert are the only two complete baseball players at this stage on the team solid at the plate and in the field. If Anderson turns it around at the plate, than that would be the third and final possibility. The rest of the team are either DH/Faux C/1B who cannot field, fielders who cannot hit, or players who cannot field or hit.

Sheets/Eloy/Frazier manning RF and spelling Robert in CF is not a solid plan, and will destroy this pitching staff and Robert. Robert has played 273 games since being called up to start 2020 needs regular rest. 3-4 games a month would be preferable to keep him fresh and on the field. Then you have Eloy who you're lucky to get 80 games out of. Unless they are playing in Thillens Stadium, they need someone better than DFA pickup Clint Frazier in CF.

Perhaps they should have signed an actual RF over the past seven off-seasons instead of the absurdly overpaid LF with Nick Madrigal power. The only alternative on the current 40 man is to call up Colas in June or July, as he can adequately spell Robert in CF. At that stage, I'd be OK with Billy in AAA or helping another team. Still rather have Billy than Sheets or Frazier as the 26th man, but can understand arguments against.

Leury and Engel were solid in 2020 and 2021. Their decline/loss in 2022 was a major blow, and they weren't replaced this offseason. Those are the two missing pieces on the team, players who can cover the entire field between the two of them, and provide cromulent hitting.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

PS, why the f*** is Burger not playing 3B with Moncada out? It's the one position he can field, and he's better there than Alberto.

DH Moncada or if he "needs" a full day off, DH Grandal and catch Zavala to give Cease the best chance at winning. Alberto shouldn't even be on the team.

18 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well, if they had a better 5th OFer who can actually field CF and RF adequately and could hit, then I'd go with that option but they don't. Billy is valuable to close out games and steal runs in tight ballgames as a PR late.

Moncada and Robert are the only two complete baseball players at this stage on the team solid at the plate and in the field. If Anderson turns it around at the plate, than that would be the third and final possibility. The rest of the team are either DH/Faux C/1B who cannot field, fielders who cannot hit, or players who cannot field or hit.

Sheets/Eloy/Frazier manning RF and spelling Robert in CF is not a solid plan, and will destroy this pitching staff and Robert. Robert has played 273 games since being called up to start 2020 needs regular rest. 3-4 games a month would be preferable to keep him fresh and on the field. Then you have Eloy who you're lucky to get 80 games out of. Unless they are playing in Thillens Stadium, they need someone better than DFA pickup Clint Frazier in CF.

Perhaps they should have signed an actual RF over the past seven off-seasons instead of the absurdly overpaid LF with Nick Madrigal power. The only alternative on the current 40 man is to call up Colas in June or July, as he can adequately spell Robert in CF. At that stage, I'd be OK with Billy in AAA or helping another team. Still rather have Billy than Sheets or Frazier as the 26th man, but can understand arguments against.

Leury and Engel were solid in 2020 and 2021. Their decline/loss in 2022 was a major blow, and they weren't replaced this offseason. Those are the two missing pieces on the team, players who can cover the entire field between the two of them, and provide cromulent hitting.

Even Mendick has been a loss. 

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

PS, why the f*** is Burger not playing 3B with Moncada out? It's the one position he can field, and he's better there than Alberto.

DH Moncada or if he "needs" a full day off, DH Grandal and catch Zavala to give Cease the best chance at winning. Alberto shouldn't even be on the team.

Statistically you would think three run homers are much more likely to win a pitcher's matchup than strunging together 2-3 hits. 

Almost showing Rodriguez too much respect. 

Scholtens game felt like a loss before game even started, no Robert inserted for defense late yesterday and now this stranger things lineup.