White Sox Burger Grannie Walk Off Sweep Winner !

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That wasn't even a good pitch to hit, but the dude is so freaking strong. 😆

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That wasn't even a good pitch to hit, but the dude is so freaking strong. 😆

Maybe not a good pitch to swing at for a hit, but an uppercut when all you need is a fly ball is something else.  The game was won soon as he got it into the air

Sox are only 5.5 games out of first. Hilarious. 

Burger is for real. Seriously. He can hit. One can tell. Go ahead and trade Moncada if he won't go to second base. Burger can play an acceptable third while putting up a lot of HRs the next 7 years.

7 inning start? Glory be. His pitch count was low. Shoulda let him pitch 8 gosh forbid in 2023.

Seriously folks. Burger is hitterish. He's not a fluke. His D at third is so much worse than Moncada, yes. But either trade Moncada or make Burger permanent 1B and get rid of Sheets or Vaughn. I like Vaughn but I'm pretty convinced the eye test isn't lying on Burger. Got to make room for Burger.

Why are the Sox afraid of moving Moncada to 2B? He'd be great there.

Edited by greg775
  • Love 1

Burger is what they call country strong. The guy is built like a truck. He really got himself in great shape. You have to get him in the lineup as much as possible. He gives 100% all the time. The Sox need more players with his attitude and love of the game.

The sweep was great to see but I'm not getting sucked in to being optimistic about this team. The Tigers are an awful team.

The next 22 games is their toughest stretch of the season. I predict no better than 7-15. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

Burger is what they call country strong. The guy is built like a truck. He really got himself in great shape. You have to get him in the lineup as much as possible. He gives 100% all the time. The Sox need more players with his attitude and love of the game.

The sweep was great to see but I'm not getting sucked in to being optimistic about this team. The Tigers are an awful team.

The next 22 games is their toughest stretch of the season. I predict no better than 7-15. 

It's difficult but I don't know if it is tougher than that brutal, killer month of April.

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Burger is for real. Seriously. He can hit. One can tell. Go ahead and trade Moncada if he won't go to second base. Burger can play an acceptable third while putting up a lot of HRs the next 7 years.

7 inning start? Glory be. His pitch count was low. Shoulda let him pitch 8 gosh forbid in 2023.

Seriously folks. Burger is hitterish. He's not a fluke. His D at third is so much worse than Moncada, yes. But either trade Moncada or make Burger permanent 1B and get rid of Sheets or Vaughn. I like Vaughn but I'm pretty convinced the eye test isn't lying on Burger. Got to make room for Burger.

It’s best for Burger’s long term health to avoid turning double plays at 2B. Even if Yoan was healthy all year, 26 Yoan rest days at third for Burger to play plus 100 DH games works fine. He can learn 1B and spell Vaughn as well.

Sheets is the odd man out since he can’t field anywhere, and really isn’t a good enough bat to carry as a platoon only DH. He’s fine at Charlotte, and to come up if Burger or Yoan are on the IL. I’d like Hamilton or Colas up ASAP to allow proper CF coverage when Robert rests.

What scares me is Grifol starting Andrus today at 3B. Outside of an emergency situation, there are no reasons to play Andrus over both Yoan and Burger. I understand trying to get him back into hitting rhythm, but Tim and Romy could rest a game a week plus late inning swap outs for 5+ run difference games should be enough. There is no reason to attempt to play Andrus as a starter or Leury like “everyday reserve”.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, wegner said:

I was just assuming that they are playing 6 games each of the next 3 weeks and so go 3-3 each week....but I could be wrong. Let's just stay undefeated in June until we get to 1st place. :cool:

That's exactly what he meant. My brain said 3-3 ? I think we're playing more games than 6 in the next 3 weeks 😅

• Haha 1

Another thing: It definitely has to help team morale to have our stellar closer back. Nobody can deny he's an elite baseball pitcher, an all star. Liam's presence definitely can help this team. At 5.5 games out of first, this team actually could contend in this division if it actually got hot and everybody started to have their proverbial career year from this point on. I'm not saying the team is any good but 5.5 games out means the team actually 'could' contend. 

Hope the guys actually want to build on this sweep and keep competing. This horsebleep team still could finish last but it also could contend. Stay healthy liam; get your head out Timmy; figure something out, Elvis, give us 5 innings every night, 2 or 3 of u starters. Stay healthy eloy and robert and start elevating eloy.

Peace out.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Another thing: It definitely has to help team morale to have our stellar closer back. Nobody can deny he's an elite baseball pitcher, an all star. Liam's presence definitely can help this team. At 5.5 games out of first, this team actually could contend in this division if it actually got hot and everybody started to have their proverbial career year from this point on. I'm not saying the team is any good but 5.5 games out means the team actually 'could' contend. 

Hope the guys actually want to build on this sweep and keep competing. This horsebleep team still could finish last but it also could contend. Stay healthy liam; get your head out Timmy; figure something out, Elvis, give us 5 innings every night, 2 or 3 of u starters. Stay healthy eloy and robert and start elevating eloy.

Peace out.

Tim now appears healthy and has played well the past two weeks (.746 OPS, .751 OPS last week not counting Sunday which will bump it up further since he went 2 for 4 with a walk).

IL Moncada for a few weeks to recover his back. If this is going to linger the rest of the season, than platoon Moncada, play him vs. RHP and let Burger play 3B vs. LHS. Moncada would be valuable as a pinch hitter or late defensive replacement once RH relievers come in.

Robert is playing a little better, but if he and Eloy can play as capable, and now you have a solid core four plus Vaughn and Burger playing well. Seby handling the best starters and Grandal contributing hitting wise with his starts, and Benintendi perhaps hitting for doubles power as the year goes on and his wrist gains strength, perhaps you have a solid enough team to to hit and field well enough to support a solid starting rotation and now a bolstered bullpen if Liam regains full Liam capabilities. Perhaps Oscar Colas gains ground and can return in July / August as an injury replacement.

Have said from Opening Day the AL Central Final Standings are as follows:

1. 78 or more wins, possibly over .500
  2. 77 wins at best
  3. 74 ish wins
  4. 70 ish wins
  5. 60 something wins
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brijames1957 said:

I don't know about attitude or love of the game but we need more guys like Jake that hit the piss out of the ball.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I just looked at the standings.  The Sox just finished off a three game sweep, but are still nine games under .500 yet only 5 1/2 games out of first.  I’ll take “Sentences that have never before been uttered” for 400 please, Alex.  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

Maybe not a good pitch to swing at for a hit, but an uppercut when all you need is a fly ball is something else.  The game was won soon as he got it into the air

My comment was about that it wasn't the best pitch and he still could hit it so far because of his amazing strength. But ok. if you're going to play that game then consider this.

Yes, it's great that Jake got it all. However you are forgetting Lange was missing badly and both Moncada and TA took advantage of his wildness and both walked consecutively before Jake's at bat. Jake already took ball one on Lange's first pitch which was well outside. If Jake took that second pitch, it would have been ball two with the bases loaded. Jake would now be in the best hitter's pitch count and Lange now has to come with a strike with that third pitch. Jake could have also missed that pitch and now be at 1-1 without the advantage. Hell, the way Lange was missing, Jake might have been able to walk in the winning run. 

I am a huge Burger fan like many here, and it's great Jake caught it with a good upper cut swing. However his swings have also missed many outside pitches this year, so don't make it sound like it was a no-brainer and done deal once he made the swing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTB said:

I just looked at the standings.  The Sox just finished off a three game sweep, but are still nine games under .500 yet only 5 1/2 games out of first.  I’ll take “Sentences that have never before been uttered” for 400 please, Alex.  

He currently has more of a pulse than the AL Central.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

Burger is a very flawed player. Let's not make him out to be something that he isnt. He's only good at GRF. He's abysmal on the road. 

3 hours ago, joejoesox said:

Burger is a very flawed player. Let's not make him out to be something that he isnt. He's only good at GRF. He's abysmal on the road. 

I agree to a point with you that Burger isn't a finished product and all-star yet. However he can hit for more power than anyone on this team! Period!

I truly believe in time he will hit on the road as well. I'm sure a lot of his poor road hitting is just mental, where he is pushing himself too hard and being impatient at the plate. 

The fact is, if Pedro wants Jake to become a more consistent player, especially on the road, then Pedro needs to start playing Jake everyday and keep him at one position. You cant keep messing with a young player's mind and constantly moving him from 3B to 1B to DH to bench and and one pinch hit AB. Not to mention Pedro keeps changing his spot in the lineup. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joejoesox said:

There's more to it then his home and road splits. He's playing a decent 3B (only -2.1 runs below average as a defender) and has decent speed on the basepaths (.6 runs above average). He's a much better all around player than vaughn or eloy, and so far this year he's a much better hitter as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I agree to a point with you that Burger isn't a finished product and all-star yet. However he can hit for more power than anyone on this team! Period!

I truly believe in time he will hit on the road as well. I'm sure a lot of his poor road hitting is just mental, where he is pushing himself too hard and being impatient at the plate. 

The fact is, if Pedro wants Jake to become a more consistent player, especially on the road, then Pedro needs to start playing Jake everyday and keep him at one position. You cant keep messing with a young player's mind and constantly moving him from 3B to 1B to DH to bench and and one pinch hit AB. Not to mention Pedro keeps changing his spot in the lineup. 

Thanks for getting it.  The home/road stats are a statistical anomaly based on the scant evidence of less than 1/3 of a season.  Lets not treat them as if they were etched in stone or established over a career's length. Play him.  He wins you ball games.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Did Yas hurt himself? I notice that Seby replaced him late, but I don't think I heard why.

I have no clue, but Seby regardless of his inferior hitting, should be playing more for Grandal. The fact is Grandal sucks at digging out balls in the dirt. With Gio, Kopech and Cease, their balls in the ground with Grandal are usually wild pitches. With Seby he usually can dig them out and not have a wild pitch get away or charged to the pitcher.

Grandal isn't producing enough offense to sacrifice worse catching for these pitchers. If the others start hitting more consistently, they can easily make up for Seby batting 9th and keeping the stronger defensive catcher on the field.