Moncada 2023 Edition

reiks12

Yoan has always struck me as a motivation guy, really depends on how much he cares. All the talent in the world doesn't matter if you don't care to show up.

World Baseball Classic, he's playing for his county, around his peers, and tearing the cover off of the ball. Motivated.

Gets to Chicago, we get a little carry-over good feelings from the WBC and starts hot. And then it settles in that he's playing for a dead-end team with nothing to play for. Unmotivated, no hustle.

He seems like the quintessential change-of-scenery type of guy. Get him on a team that is competing day in and day out with other guys that want to be there, and I bet he's a stud. Play out his days on lame duck White Sox team and what you see is what you get.

• Like 4

Moncada plays every day and he's not hitting. Alberto who was just released had more home runs and RBIs than Moncada. Burger is hitting and  doesn't play every day. Something has to change here. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Yoan has always struck me as a motivation guy, really depends on how much he cares. All the talent in the world doesn't matter if you don't care to show up.

World Baseball Classic, he's playing for his county, around his peers, and tearing the cover off of the ball. Motivated.

Gets to Chicago, we get a little carry-over good feelings from the WBC and starts hot. And then it settles in that he's playing for a dead-end team with nothing to play for. Unmotivated, no hustle.

He seems like the quintessential change-of-scenery type of guy. Get him on a team that is competing day in and day out with other guys that want to be there, and I bet he's a stud. Play out his days on lame duck White Sox team and what you see is what you get.

This is why his defense makes no sense to me. Usually that's the first thing to go when dudes stop trying.

Perhaps they need to do a reverse Major League motivation scheme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

Moncada plays every day and he's not hitting. Alberto who was just released had more home runs and RBIs than Moncada. Burger is hitting and  doesn't play every day. Something has to change here. 

Alberto's defense also took out Tim Anderson's knee, so, you know.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Quin said:

Alberto's defense also took out Tim Anderson's knee, so, you know.

Depending on your perspective (perspectives on this board vary wildly), that may be seen as good or bad.

33 minutes ago, Quin said:

@ptatc, I hate to summon you for this, but does fucking up your knee cause you to lose power?

I would assume yes.

I can answer that one for you without being a doctor. Its yes. If you cant plant your legs properly and create that hip rotation because of a knee, then yeah you will lose power.

He was the #1 ranked MLB prospect and the #1 piece in the first rebuild trade in 2016 for Chris Sale. He was suppose to be a big contributor to those multiple championships, as well as being a perennial second base all-star for the Sox.

His 2023 stat line of .245/.303/382/.684 and lifetime stat line of .253/.333/.423/.756 is not what the Sox signed up for and expected in return.

It's time to close the book on "What could have been" and trade him! Enough is enough! Burger needs to be the 3B starter. Maybe on a different winning team, where they have more veteran leaders, maybe he can resurrect his career. Although I personally doubt he would even do it with the Dodgers. 

With all of Moncada's constant injuries and the non-stop discussion in this forum of his motivation and desire levels at nauseum...actually does make Moncada the most frustrating Sox player in my opinion. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

He was the #1 ranked MLB prospect and the #1 piece in the first rebuild trade in 2016 for Chris Sale. He was suppose to be a big contributor to those multiple championships, as well as being a perennial second base all-star for the Sox.

His 2023 stat line of .245/.303/382/.684 and lifetime stat line of .253/.333/.423/.756 is not what the Sox signed up for and expected in return.

It's time to close the book on "What could have been" and trade him! Enough is enough! Burger needs to be the 3B starter. Maybe on a different winning team, where they have more veteran leaders, maybe he can resurrect his career. Although I personally doubt he would even do it with the Dodgers. 

With all of Moncada's constant injuries and the non-stop discussion in this forum of his motivation and desire levels at nauseum...actually does make Moncada the most frustrating Sox player in my opinion. 

They need Anderson with Lux out.  They’re not going to move Freeman, Muncy or JD Martinez to accommodate him.

Not sure there’s any team besides the Cuban National squad that would bring out his best.

10 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Has there ever been a more disappointing player in a White Sox uniform than Yoan Moncada? I bought into the hype in 2019 and thought he was going to be a White Sox legend. I doubt hes still playing baseball in 3 years.

I was always extremely confused what happened to his stealing ability.

I have heard (or read?) that those sprint speed things on Statcast don't always tell the whole story. For example, when Tim is running full speed there is no way he has below average speed.

In terms of Moncada, he usually starts hitting right about the time these posts pop up on Soxtalk. So here's hoping! At the very least it would be nice if he at least added some patience to the lineup.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Moncada doesn't have a motivation problem. He has a back problem. That's why he's missed so much time, that's why he's lost power, that's why he grimaces when swinging, that's why his defense hasn't suffered.

Unfortunately, a back problem is way worse than a motivation problem, it's why he'll likely never reach his potential, and it's also why he's stuck here. No one is taking a guy making $20+ million/year with a bad back.

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I have heard (or read?) that those sprint speed things on Statcast don't always tell the whole story. For example, when Tim is running full speed there is no way he has below average speed.

Pretty sure the sprint speed metric is based on the maximum incident of speed rather than an average. Of course it is entirely possible he hasn’t run at maximum speed all season long. I haven’t seen much of it

10 minutes ago, almagest said:

Moncada doesn't have a motivation problem. He has a back problem. That's why he's missed so much time, that's why he's lost power, that's why he grimaces when swinging, that's why his defense hasn't suffered.

Unfortunately, a back problem is way worse than a motivation problem, it's why he'll likely never reach his potential, and it's also why he's stuck here. No one is taking a guy making $20+ million/year with a bad back.

Joe Crede 2.0. Good chance Moncada is out of baseball altogether in 2 or 3 years if these back problems aren't corrected. 

• Thanks 1

Guys, if Gordon Beckham and his then .210/.600 average/OPS were able to hang around the majors from 2014-2019, Yoan Moncada will have absolutely no fucking problem hanging around the major league for a decade on defense alone. 

What Yoan Moncada actually is is the most overly criticized player in recent White Sox history, especially on this forum. He still sports a 3.3 WAR per 162.

Is he overpaid? Hell yes. He is not worth $25 million.

Is he going to have a problem getting $10 million a year until he's 35? Absolutely not.  

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

They need Anderson with Lux out.  They’re not going to move Freeman, Muncy or JD Martinez to accommodate him.

Not sure there’s any team besides the Cuban National squad that would bring out his best.

You misunderstood my point and probably due to the fact I didn't clarify my point well enough on part of the Dodgers. I was only using the Dodgers as an example that even on a good team like the Dodgers, Yoan won't get better. I was essentially referring to any good team like the Rays, Braves, Orioles, etc. in which he won't get better.

My point was, I wasn't suggesting the Dodgers as being the Sox trade destination for Yoan. I'm sure the Sox can trade Yoan to some team at the trade deadline. A team willing to go all in for that second half push towards the World Series and willing to give up some young prospects. 

28 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Guys, if Gordon Beckham and his then .210/.600 average/OPS were able to hang around the majors from 2014-2019, Yoan Moncada will have absolutely no fucking problem hanging around the major league for a decade on defense alone. 

What Yoan Moncada actually is is the most overly criticized player in recent White Sox history, especially on this forum. He still sports a 3.3 WAR per 162.

Is he overpaid? Hell yes. He is not worth $25 million.

Is he going to have a problem getting $10 million a year until he's 35? Absolutely not.  

Gordon Beckham has 10/10 hair.

Yoan Moncada doesn't smile.

Tell me, who is the better player when we look at these advanced stats???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If Yoan keeps playing like he is now , he won't get $10M after his current contract runs out for 2025.

Guys who slug under .400 and OPS under .700 who play only a power position and only that position, who are hurt often  do not make $10M.

I'm not talking about IL stints. He moves around like he's always hurt and that's what we keeping hearing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It makes me sad how much I agree with this.