Moncada 2023 Edition

reiks12

4 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Moncada is not very bright?

As for Binetti, I long for the day he moves on to a National sports network.

Based on simply his "baseball smarts" he like so many other Sox players gives your comment some relevance. Notice I said just baseball, he may be very smart and articulate in other areas. 

• Like 1

Anyone...and I mean anyone here who thinks Burger should be at 3rd and Moncada at 2nd should lose their fan card. Burger is fine at DH, but why oh why do we hear words like "no motivation" "lack of effort" "not very bright" "doesn't care" "got his money" for the latin player and not the guy so out of shape he wouldn't even be recognized as an athlete outside of like 50,000 Southside fans? It is ridiculous that this type of unspoken bias still exists here and the reality is Moncada DOES and always will have a higher career fWAR and total impact to the team than a slugger without position. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Anyone...and I mean anyone here who thinks Burger should be at 3rd and Moncada at 2nd should lose their fan card. Burger is fine at DH, but why oh why do we hear words like "no motivation" "lack of effort" "not very bright" "doesn't care" "got his money" for the latin player and not the guy so out of shape he wouldn't even be recognized as an athlete outside of like 50,000 Southside fans? It is ridiculous that this type of unspoken bias still exists here and the reality is Moncada DOES and always will have a higher career fWAR and total impact to the team than a slugger without position. 

Oh here we go, if you call Moncada a disappointment you must be a racist. Get out of here

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Oh here we go, if you call Moncada a disappointment you must be a racist. Get out of here

Go back and read through all the comments I quoted. Why are these things not said about Burger and his atrocious defense? Instead it's optimism and maybe he will learn. Get real. Moncada is a better fielder and always will be. Burger is a great DH that has no position and never will. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

RACISM! .....speaking of tired acts. One can differentiate between a player who has trouble coordinating defensively and a player who chooses to jog down the line consistently. Sox fans like watching players who bust their ass. You're the only one constantly focusing on race. Nobody ever dogged Abreu on effort, because he gave it. 

Edited by TheBooneLoganEra
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If this is about Burger, that's just ridiculous. His work ethic to come back from the two achilles tears shouldn't even be questioned, let alone the hustle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

As to your first point, People are suggesting Burger at third and Moncada at second to get them both in the line-up at the same time.  The Sox have too many DH's and we need Burger in the line-up every day.  What is a fan card?   As to "no motivation" and "not very bright", we all would like to see Moncada succeed but  we see a player who appears to just be going through the motions when he could be so much more.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

57 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

41 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Go back and read through all the comments I quoted. Why are these things not said about Burger and his atrocious defense? Instead it's optimism and maybe he will learn. Get real. Moncada is a better fielder and always will be. Burger is a great DH that has no position and never will. 

Now for the parts I agree with:

Burger is a great DH. Everytime Moncada makes the play where a weak grounder is dribbling down the third base line and he grabs it and guns it to first - that's not a play Burger makes. Moncada did that yesterday.

He also definitely plays hurt, which takes a fuckton of effort. I just don't understand the dude at the plate.

At this point, as much as I love Vaughn, it's not Burger vs. Moncada, but Burger vs. Vaughn or Eloy.

I would honestly say Eloy, because anyone that gets hurt swinging the bat as much as he does, well, that's the problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Now for the parts I agree with:

Burger is a great DH. Everytime Moncada makes the play where a weak grounder is dribbling down the third base line and he grabs it and guns it to first - that's not a play Burger makes. Moncada did that yesterday.

He also definitely plays hurt, which takes a fuckton of effort. I just don't understand the dude at the plate.

At this point, as much as I love Vaughn, it's not Burger vs. Moncada, but Burger vs. Vaughn or Eloy.

I would honestly say Eloy, because anyone that gets hurt swinging the bat as much as he does, well, that's the problem.

For me at this point, Burger is the very day DH and Eloy/Sheets are a RF platoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

How can their sprint speeds be so close... just based on Burger's so-called hustle? 

Moncada was always described as a dynamic presence as a prospect, a clear possibility for 20/20 or 30/30.  Elly de la Cruz of 2016-2017.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Moncada is always hobbling and does not consistently contribute to the offense.

The latest fwAR says Burger is worth 3 times more to the White Sox now than the current version of Moncada. 1.2 to .4 fWAR. Burger makes no money  Moncada is super rich.

Burger the non athlete is a faster runner than Moncada and half the team.

Burger is not ideal at 3rd base but neither is Moncada. But Burger deserves more AB's than anyone on the team not named Robert.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How can their sprint speeds be so close... just based on Burger's so-called hustle? 

Moncada was always described as a dynamic presence as a prospect, a clear possibility for 20/20 or 30/30.  Elly de la Cruz of 2016-2017.

So close ? I just looked at Baseball Savant and Moncada is in the 18th percentile while Burger is 77th

For clarification 18th is bad 77th is pretty good.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Moncada is always hobbling and does not consistently contribute to the offense.

The latest fwAR says Burger is worth 3 times more to the White Sox now than the current version of Moncada. 1.2 to .4 fWAR. Burger makes no money  Moncada is super rich.

Burger the non athlete is a faster runner than Moncada and half the team.

Burger is not ideal at 3rd base but neither is Moncada. But Burger deserves more AB's than anyone on the team not named Robert.

I hate to be the "if you've ever played sports" guy, but if you've ever played sports hurt - especially with a hurt back - then you know that you have to care more than people accuse Moncada of.

28 minutes ago, Quin said:

I hate to be the "if you've ever played sports" guy, but if you've ever played sports hurt - especially with a hurt back - then you know that you have to care more than people accuse Moncada of.

There is truth in what you say absolutely. But the previous posters statement is also true. Over the last few years something always seems wrong with Moncada. He always seem to have some sort of ailment, injury, ache or pain. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There is truth in what you say absolutely. But the previous posters statement is also true. Over the last few years something always seems wrong with Moncada. He always seem to have some sort of ailment, injury, ache or pain. 

I know there's the long COVID schtick, but I just saw my doctor on Wednesday for lingering symptoms (although I caught it twice, in July '21 and Jan '23). The first time absolutely fucked up my muscles in ways comparable to when I've experienced seizures. Sometimes that muscle pain lasts a few hours, sometimes a few days, sometimes months.

The only reason I bring that up is because post-Herm, the White Sox have such a stupid fucking philosophy with how guys have handled their injuries. It's not unreasonable to think that Moncada has just never properly healed and the med staff keeps telling him the equivalent of a high school coach's "rub some dirt on it."

And then yeah, there's the possibility that he's just fragile. That's how I feel about Eloy. But Eloy just seems to full on break and can't even swing a bat, whereas Moncada is at least playing.

I kinda wondered if Yoan was going to be like Adrian Beltre, who had inconsistent and then blazing seasons. But boy, sure is a big difference between historically good defense and good. And years hitting 161 wRC+ and 135.

I do think he eventually puts it together.

• Like 1

The Moncada thing is what it is at this point, and it will be resolved in about 16 months. He’s getting almost 30 mil next year for not being very good. If he gets it together, great. If not, his career is over at 30, and he’s still very rich. 

Edited by flavum

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So close ? I just looked at Baseball Savant and Moncada is in the 18th percentile while Burger is 77th

For clarification 18th is bad 77th is pretty good.

6 days ago  Burger, quite helpfully, informs that he hit a 29.8 feet per second sprint speedlast night, which he says was the fastest of anyone in the…

48 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know there's the long COVID schtick, but I just saw my doctor on Wednesday for lingering symptoms (although I caught it twice, in July '21 and Jan '23). The first time absolutely fucked up my muscles in ways comparable to when I've experienced seizures. Sometimes that muscle pain lasts a few hours, sometimes a few days, sometimes months.

The only reason I bring that up is because post-Herm, the White Sox have such a stupid fucking philosophy with how guys have handled their injuries. It's not unreasonable to think that Moncada has just never properly healed and the med staff keeps telling him the equivalent of a high school coach's "rub some dirt on it."

And then yeah, there's the possibility that he's just fragile. That's how I feel about Eloy. But Eloy just seems to full on break and can't even swing a bat, whereas Moncada is at least playing.

Agree that the injury philosophy of this organization (just ask Robert) has been insane.

• Like 1