Moncada 2023 Edition

reiks12

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

I kinda wondered if Yoan was going to be like Adrian Beltre, who had inconsistent and then blazing seasons. But boy, sure is a big difference between historically good defense and good. And years hitting 161 wRC+ and 135.

I do think he eventually puts it together.

Maybe he does put it together but it won't be with the White sox. If you believe Garfein "he gone" after 2024. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

LoL.  Okay, fair enough.

Well, everyone over 50 years old needs to stick together at SoxTalk...we don't mesh well with Millennials/Gen Z.

It's one of the reasons (generation gap)  I'm shocked Benetti is so well-liked by younger posters, but, then again, ANYTHING is better than either listening to Gordon Beckham or Connor McKnight's chipper/peppy "just happy to be here" shtick.

They hired Beckham because they like him but he is a stroke. Pods is better. I hate when they struggle to be funny. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I hate to be the "if you've ever played sports" guy, but if you've ever played sports hurt - especially with a hurt back - then you know that you have to care more than people accuse Moncada of.

But at this time it's about production. Moncada may care more than anyone thinks but all I care about is getting the best team on the field as much as possible and when your core guys like Eloy, Moncada and Robert all get hurt fairly often it becomes a big problem. My post didn't say anything about his attitude.

At this point I'd be thrilled to send Eloy and Grandal  to the Giants for a few months of Conforto, Joey Bart and Luis Matos, one of their better OF prospects in AAA. Maybe throw Middleton , Lopez or  Hendriks or Kelly (2024 team option ) or Lenyn Sosa  into the mix and see what you can come up with.

Losing Conforto for this year would hurt them but they'd get Eloy and all his option years through 2026 in case he ever stops getting injured and fulfills his potential. Bart might need  change of scenery.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Go back and read through all the comments I quoted. Why are these things not said about Burger and his atrocious defense? Instead it's optimism and maybe he will learn. Get real. Moncada is a better fielder and always will be. Burger is a great DH that has no position and never will. 

Some guys are just laid back but Yo has a slick glove. No need to rehash it every day. 

• Thanks 1

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/team/145?view=statcast&nav=running&season=2023

All I know is Burger has one of the fastest sprint speeds this year on the Sox…in comparison, Elly de la Cruz was at 30.7 the other day.

For someone at that weight coming off two major Achilles’ injuries, it’s pretty remarkable.

Doesn’t have great lateral and first reaction or fast twitch reflexes like Moncada…but he makes up for in heart and hustle what he lacks in other areas.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This goes back years to Alex Rios constantly criticized for a similar demeanor.

That was my main original point. i wasn't saying blatant racism...it's the undertones of someone not screaming, isn't a "grinder" OR has a laid back style - this board assumes they are lazy, unmotivated, etc, etc. It's so tiresome. Unless you are in this person's mind or the team's trainer, you have no clue what type of competitor they really are and how much they are dealing with. To be clear...I LIKE burger's bat. how could you not? but I also think Moncada, Eloy, Robert and TA all get this bad rap of not wanting to win or improve. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1