GT 6/9: MIA @ SOX, 7:10 pm CT, NBCSC

Imagine intentionally walking Benintendi so you can face Luis Robert.

This reminds me of the World Series when the Phillies brought in Alvarado to pitch against Yordan Alvarez because "the match up" and he crushed a 450 foot home run. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Imagine intentionally walking Benintendi so you can face Luis Robert.

This reminds me of the World Series when the Phillies brought in Alvarado to pitch against Yordan Alvarez because "the match up" and he crushed a 450 foot home run. 

Benintendi is a good contact singles hitter, and Robert had looked bad tonight and can’t hit a slider.  Fortunately Fiori hung a breaking pitch in the middle of the plate that Luis could hit.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Grandal's now got over 1.000 OPS batting 7th.

Grandal racked up a bunch of walks in 2021 with everyone pitching around him at the bottom half of the order. 6-8 suit Yasmani and Sevy well, can get o at times and hopefully get knocked home by Romy or top of the order.

Liam solidifies the bullpen. Eloy out helps with the defense, as Frazier will start more and there are no qualms pulling Sheets after 6-7 for a replacement.

Not sure if Colas will be ready this or next season, but an OF of Robert, Colas and Benintendi can be decent overall hitting, above average defensively. Perhaps Andrew will regain some power a year after his surgery.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

First he needs to make contact.  He keeps swinging and missing on pitches out of the zone.

It seems like he keeps missing because it looks like he keeps trying to pull the ball. He rolls over on pitches constantly grounding out to short. That last slider he struck out on, don't get me wrong that was a really good pitch, but if Tim was right, he would have recognized that pitch and shot it the other way for a hit.

Edited by ScootsMcGoots

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Benintendi is a good contact singles hitter, and Robert had looked bad tonight and can’t hit a slider.  Fortunately Fiori hung a breaking pitch in the middle of the plate that Luis could hit.

The logic checks out, but there's that unquantifiable thing about baseball where the star player is obviously going to be offended and do exactly what he needs to do to win the game. When he came up to the plate, I'm saying to myself, "this dude cannot let them disrespect him like this." And he didn't. Great win and a special shout out to Robert for getting it done when it mattered. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nrockway said:

The logic checks out, but there's that unquantifiable thing about baseball where the star player is obviously going to be offended and do exactly what he needs to do to win the game. When he came up to the plate, I'm saying to myself, "this dude cannot let them disrespect him like this." And he didn't. Great win and a special shout out to Robert for getting it done when it mattered. 

Astros did the same thing... that at least was a LOT more logical, walking Jose Ramirez (four homers in recent days)  to get to Naylor. Backfired though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hankchifan said:

He's slapping .267 and a single isn't a sure run anyway.   The Marlins needed outs.  If Robert is so bad, then, he could have been the  third out.

Middleton will finally get 7 figures next season and he's earned it.  Signing a bunch of relievers for Charlotte and calling up the guys who are having good seasons looks like a winning approach for the bulk of the pen.

Edited by GreenSox

31 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He's slapping .267 and a single isn't a sure run anyway.   The Marlins needed outs.  If Robert is so bad, then, he could have been the  third out.

Middleton will finally get 7 figures next season and he's earned it.  Signing a bunch of relievers for Charlotte and calling up the guys who are having good seasons looks like a winning approach for the bulk of the pen.

But when's the last time Hahn got two guys who have performed like Santos and Middleton one offseason? 

It has been exceedingly rare. 

That said, if a starter goes down and you have to use Scholtens or Banks too much, your luck won't hold up for long outside the Central.