Jump to content

Guaranteed Rate


Rocky
 Share

Recommended Posts

Chicago Tribune published an in-depth investigation into the culture at Guaranteed Rate.  Pretty negative claims are being alleged by multiple ex-employees.  

I can't imagine the Sox are very pleased.  Could a name change be coming sooner rather than later? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got any quotes? I mean, who wouldn't believe it? The vendors have to pissed at how bad the team is, that cuts into their tips. At T-Mobile I was being flashed the reader with 15/20/25% on every purchase. I didn't tip, but I know a lot of people feel that pressure and will when the employee is right there in front of them. I would wonder if like most places only a fraction of that tip goes directly to the employee as well. T-Mobile vendor told me that get pooled and the vendor takes a cut as well.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Got any quotes? I mean, who wouldn't believe it? The vendors have to pissed at how bad the team is, that cuts into their tips. At T-Mobile I was being flashed the reader with 15/20/25% on every purchase. I didn't tip, but I know a lot of people feel that pressure and will when the employee is right there in front of them. I would wonder if like most places only a fraction of that tip goes directly to the employee as well. T-Mobile vendor told me that get pooled and the vendor takes a cut as well.

This is an aside but I'm getting so sick of our tip culture. You're charging $11+ for a product that costs you under a dollar and we are still expected to tip?

Grabbing a beer from a fridge behind you and opening the can deserves a tip now? 

I have seen videos circulating online of complete self service/self checkout places asking for tips. What!

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DoUEvenShift said:

This is an aside but I'm getting so sick of our tip culture. You're charging $11+ for a product that costs you under a dollar and we are still expected to tip?

Grabbing a beer from a fridge behind you and opening the can deserves a tip now? 

I have seen videos circulating online of complete self service/self checkout places asking for tips. What!

 

Trust me I'm at the forefront of it. You get DINK couples in their 20s making 350k a year that think absolutely nothing of tipping 30% on top of a 5 cup of coffee. I'm over it personally, I just stopped tipping on takeout. We have 21 dollars an hr min wage now, if you want to pay your employees more, just raise prices, I'm not going to be tipping for pouring 50 cents worth of bean juice into a cup.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

This is an aside but I'm getting so sick of our tip culture. You're charging $11+ for a product that costs you under a dollar and we are still expected to tip?

Grabbing a beer from a fridge behind you and opening the can deserves a tip now? 

I have seen videos circulating online of complete self service/self checkout places asking for tips. What!

 

last time I was at a Sox game, I bought one of those cooler beers and did self checkout. cool concept, easy enough. I pay for it and crack it open and the employee starts yelling at me that it's his job to open my beer. what? no it's not. why would I want some stranger's unwashed hands opening my drink? that's ridiculous. I also think it's demeaning to the employee, what are you my servant? I can do it myself, buddy, thanks. I relayed this perspective to him and he didn't agree and I felt he was more belligerent than someone at their job should be. bad vibes at the Cell last year, the two other games I went to involved a fat fan shooting herself and drunk idiots heckling Dylan Cease through 5 innings. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nrockway said:

last time I was at a Sox game, I bought one of those cooler beers and did self checkout. cool concept, easy enough. I pay for it and crack it open and the employee starts yelling at me that it's his job to open my beer. what? no it's not. why would I want some stranger's unwashed hands opening my drink? that's ridiculous. I also think it's demeaning to the employee, what are you my servant? I can do it myself, buddy, thanks. I relayed this perspective to him and he didn't agree and I felt he was more belligerent than someone at their job should be. bad vibes at the Cell last year, the two other games I went to involved a fat fan shooting herself and drunk idiots heckling Dylan Cease through 5 innings. 

It's weird man I think there is some law about it. I bought two from the vendor when I walked in and she cracked both of them. I'm like, I didn't really want them both cracked but whatever. In general the transformation of the ball park into a revenue maximizing enterprise and circus seems complete. The piped in music was so loud in between innings I couldn't even talk to the guy next to me without shouting.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

Chicago Tribune published an in-depth investigation into the culture at Guaranteed Rate.  Pretty negative claims are being alleged by multiple ex-employees.  

I can't imagine the Sox are very pleased.  Could a name change be coming sooner rather than later? 

 

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Got any quotes? I mean, who wouldn't believe it? The vendors have to pissed at how bad the team is, that cuts into their tips. At T-Mobile I was being flashed the reader with 15/20/25% on every purchase. I didn't tip, but I know a lot of people feel that pressure and will when the employee is right there in front of them. I would wonder if like most places only a fraction of that tip goes directly to the employee as well. T-Mobile vendor told me that get pooled and the vendor takes a cut as well.

I was assuming this referred to the culture at Guaranteed Rate the company and not Guaranteed Rate Field, hence the line about a stadium name change.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You think Jerry cares about those optics?  He seemed pretty unbothered by gigantic red downward arrows being plastered all over the ballpark as long as the checks cleared. He's no stranger to toxic organizations himself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

You think Jerry cares about those optics?  He seemed pretty unbothered by gigantic red downward arrows being plastered all over the ballpark as long as the checks cleared. He's no stranger to toxic organizations himself.

Ohhhhh. Yeah he won't give a s%*#. 

I believe the story is that he passed up a name that had "Win" and "Trust" in the deal because it also included Comiskey ("Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park"). Supposedly money was the same?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Quin said:

Ohhhhh. Yeah he won't give a s%*#. 

I believe the story is that he passed up a name that had "Win" and "Trust" in the deal because it also included Comiskey ("Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park"). Supposedly money was the same?

I remember rumors of Wintrust having the better offer, but I don't have any sourcing to corroborate.

The worst part is that no one really knew who or what Guaranteed Rate was, yet Jerry signed off on this no name company getting naming rights, whose logo just happened to be a GIGANTIC red arrow pointing down. It might as well been flashing neon. Optics be damned, Jerry is gonna take the money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I remember rumors of Wintrust having the better offer, but I don't have any sourcing to corroborate.

The worst part is that no one really knew who or what Guaranteed Rate was, yet Jerry signed off on this no name company getting naming rights, whose logo just happened to be a GIGANTIC red arrow pointing down. It might as well been flashing neon. Optics be damned, Jerry is gonna take the money.

I was told by a few sources that Wintrust did indeed make a better offer but one of the stipulations was the name return to Comiskey Park and JR didn't care for that.

But I was also told that an individual in the front office had family connections to Guaranteed Rate and was pushing their offer to the point of withholding some information from JR.

I have no idea what was supposedly withheld and if it would have made any difference given the name of the stadium requirement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I was told by a few sources that Wintrust did indeed make a better offer but one of the stipulations was the name return to Comiskey Park and JR didn't care for that.

But I was also told that an individual in the front office had family connections to Guaranteed Rate and was pushing their offer to the point of withholding some information from JR.

I have no idea what was supposedly withheld and if it would have made any difference given the name of the stadium requirement. 

What, does the prick not want to remind people that there was an arguably worse, piece-of-s%*# owner in franchise history?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was pretty widely reported at the time that:

1) Either company was going to assume US Cellular's contract (there was no actual bid for the naming rights, because a rights fee was already in place)

2) Guaranteed Rate was willing to spend more at the time for other assets (IE: GR Club and 'Presenting' Sponsorship of the team) than Wintrust was

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nrockway said:

last time I was at a Sox game, I bought one of those cooler beers and did self checkout. cool concept, easy enough. I pay for it and crack it open and the employee starts yelling at me that it's his job to open my beer. what? no it's not. why would I want some stranger's unwashed hands opening my drink? that's ridiculous. I also think it's demeaning to the employee, what are you my servant? I can do it myself, buddy, thanks. I relayed this perspective to him and he didn't agree and I felt he was more belligerent than someone at their job should be. bad vibes at the Cell last year, the two other games I went to involved a fat fan shooting herself and drunk idiots heckling Dylan Cease through 5 innings. 

This used to be a great country.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the united center they just ask you to open before you leave, seems to work fine. And it’s just to prevent fans throwing full cans and injuring.

Anyway no JR doesn’t care about Guaranteed Rates culture. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2024 at 4:19 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

I was told by a few sources that Wintrust did indeed make a better offer but one of the stipulations was the name return to Comiskey Park and JR didn't care for that.

But I was also told that an individual in the front office had family connections to Guaranteed Rate and was pushing their offer to the point of withholding some information from JR.

I have no idea what was supposedly withheld and if it would have made any difference given the name of the stadium requirement. 

Why would WinTrust pay more money just to call the place Comiskey Park?  Where's the advertising benefit to the company?

I'm actually surprised that this is Jerry's call instead of the ISFA, which is the owner of the stadium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, 77 Hitmen said:

Why would WinTrust pay more money just to call the place Comiskey Park?  Where's the advertising benefit to the company?

I'm actually surprised that this is Jerry's call instead of the ISFA, which is the owner of the stadium.

Probably yet another pro-Jerry sweetener likes he manages to include in all of his deals to maintain control/power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...