Brian West

Rex Hudler

I just saw Brian West, former Sox prospect drafted in 1999, lining up at defensive end for LSU in the Sugar Bowl. It is amazing to me that a guy that had not played football since 1998, can quit baseball and walk into the playing rotation on the defense in the country and play in the National Champioship Game.

Go Westy! He is #54 for LSU.

I just saw Brian West, former Sox prospect drafted in 1999, lining up at defensive end for LSU in the Sugar Bowl.  It is amazing to me that a guy that had not played football since 1998, can quit baseball and walk into the playing rotation on the defense in the country and play in the National Champioship Game.

Go Westy!  He is #54 for LSU.

That and Matt Mauck was in the Cubs system a few years back.... small world aint it?

West is not in the organization anymore. He retired from professional baseball, although I'm assuming the Sox still own his rights if he were to join baseball.

West will be a good football player though. I don't know if he'll make the pros because he's joining at a later date and had to sit out, but I think he has a few more years of eligibility and quite frankly he's an impressive athlete.

Murcie, I am in my 30's so you can decide if I am on old man or what. LOL

As Jason said, West retired. I believe the list is called Voluntary Retired, which allows the team to retain his contract rights. That won't make a difference because Westy won't return to baseball. Remember, he was facing Tommy John surgery and would have missed the 2004 season if he had not left.

Rex,

I love Jasper. I drove down there to pick up the Jasper engine for my '69 Monte Carlo 3 years ago. It's a nice little town here in Hoosierland.

I was also happy to see Brian West last night. Congratulations to him and his team. He will probably just move on to a "normal" job in the working world from here on out, but he can always claim that he was part of a National Championship team, which is a nice - no, AWESOME- thing to have on your lifetime achievement list.