1. 1. Is it due to

• Socio-economic condition
    • Natural advantage
    • What 'dominance'?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are some genetic reasons why they are good athletes, and also some socio-economic reasons as well. I don't think it's any more inappropriate to say blacks are pre-disposed to being better athletes than it is to say they are pre-disposed to having dark skin. I mean, how more obvious does it have to be? Take into account the percentage of black people in America(MUCH lower than you probably thought it was), and then factor in what percentage of nfl, nba, mlb and nhl players are black. I think the nba is 70-30 black, the nfl 60-40 black, the mlb is 50-50, and whatever the nhl ratio is, it still shows that there is a much higher percentage of black people that become pro athletes, than any other race. Maybe they're prone to having more muscle mass? faster reflexes? Whatever the case may be, I absolutely think there's something to the theory.

I agree, I can see where this one is headed already.

If you have nothing worthy to add, stay the f*** out of my thread.

I'd rather have 10 replies with on-topic content than 10 pages worth of garbage.

There is less than 10 black people in the NHL. Why is that? We could have a debate on that too. I think that is because they don't have ice in the South.

Valid point to think about. I myself have not made up my mind yet because every time I do either way, I see evidence to the contrary.

If you have nothing worthy to add, stay the f*** out of my thread.

I'd rather have 10 replies with on-topic content than 10 pages worth of garbage.

Valid point to think about.  I myself have not made up my mind yet because every time I do either way, I see evidence to the contrary.

Hey you... take that stick out of your ass and don't be such an ignoramous!

:stick

How many black Canadians do you know??

Not two many, but I can name two. Kevin Weekes is one (from Toronto). After certain comments he made a few days ago and then proceeded to go out and give up 5 freakin' goals (okay, technically 4) to the freakin' Capitals (and the winning goal to a former Cane), he needs to be taken out back and b**** slapped. Not too ticked, am I :lol: ? Brasheer (sp?) is another, but I think he is out on injury (last I read, anyway).

Not two many, but I can name two.  Kevin Weekes is one (from Toronto).  After certain comments he made a few days ago and then proceeded to go out and give up 5 freakin' goals (okay, technically 4) to the freakin' Capitals (and the winning goal to a former Cane), he needs to be taken out back and b**** slapped.  Not too ticked, am I  :lol: ? Brasheer (sp?) is another, but I think he is out on injury (last I read, anyway).

Didn't Boston had a brotha who was pretty good a few years back?

And what about Iginla?

I'll quote the Ghost of Tolleson in true Brando style....

I think there are some genetic reasons why they are good athletes, and also some socio-economic reasons as well

I would believe blacks have more developed "twitch" muscles. Don't know how to explain the genetic relevance, but think about this: When is the last time you have seen a white running back with the explosiveness of Barry Sanders or Charlie Garner? They don't seem to exist......

I don't think it's any more inappropriate to say blacks are pre-disposed to being better athletes than it is to say they are pre-disposed to having dark skin

Good analogy. Nobody should label this discussion as racist merely because we're discussing the reason blacks are such great athletes. Its in no way insulting their race.

the mlb is 50-50

Don't think the number of blacks in MLB is even close to that. Thought I heard the figures were: 40 % Hispanic, 40 % White, 15 % black, and 5 % other.

Tennis is like one of the most physical of all sports and Blacks haven't had much success in it outside of Williams Sisters and Arthur Ashe.

Golf also supports the socio-economic theory. 

Then again, you know, track-n-field sprint.

Not a lot of black hurlers, either.....

Don't think the number of blacks in MLB is even close to that.  Thought I heard the figures were close to: 40 % Hispanic, 40 % White, 15 % black, and 5 % other.

I knew there was a significant latin number to deal with, but I thought the number of blacks and whites were about equal. Is the number that disparate?

Not a lot of black hurlers, either.....

Yeah, I know- most sports in fact are dominated by Whites-- there are so many Whites out there afterall. I was just wondering about the disparity present in basketball, football and maybe track-n-field sprint.

would believe blacks have a more developed "twitch" muscles. Don't know how to explain the genetic relevance, but think about this: When is the last time you have seen a white running back with the explosiveness of Barry Sanders or Charlie Garner? They don't seem to exist

Maybe Blacks have developed the ability to analyze the situation and make the decision (and command to the body to move earlier which helps the rynning back "bounce") faster due to the unforgiving nature of dangerous African wildlife.

Or it could be the fast-twitch fibers %, wchich some people maintain is a myth-- that there is no magical shortcut.

Plus what about Asians, Latinos, Indians and various mixes thereof.