There was a shooting at the Cubby Bear:

Shooting reported outside Cubby Bear

May 6, 2004, 7:53 PM CDT

A possibly fatal shooting was reported Thursday around the Cubby Bear Lounge, a well-known bar across the street from Wrigley Field.

A male was shot at about 6:10 p.m., not more than two hours after a Cubs home game finished, according to police News Affairs Officer JoAnn Taylor. She said described the shooting as a homicide but said that she had no other details.

An employee at the Cubby Bear, at 1059 W. Addison St., said she "did not know what was going on." The employee referred all calls to the manager, who was not immediately available.

A Town Hall District officer could not confirm the shooting.

The shooting appeared to have been an incident of road rage, Belmont District Sgt. Kent Erickson said.

People were crossing the street near the Cubby Bear when a vehicle nearly hit one of them.

"Words were exchanged and a fight ensued," Erickson said.

One of the pedestrians possibly had a baseball bat, and the driver and the passenger got out of the vehicle and became involved in the fight, he said.

The passenger of the vehicle apparently had a gun and fired one shot, he said.

Both the driver and the passenger were taken into custody, and several witnesses were being interviewed at the Belmont Area headquarters, at 2452 W. Belmont Av., Erickson said.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

But that area is so pristine and righteous. Isn't this the type of stuff that happens near that cesspool called US Cellular Field??? :huh

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't suprise me, the crime rate is higher in yuppyville on the north side than in the Bridgeport area. But of course more black people live near the Cell, so that must mean there is more crime. :headshake

Its crazy that some people still think like that. :bang :stick

I remember an incident a couple years back that was reported. I can't rememeber all of the details, but do remember it was heavily covered for weeks. A man and his family were walking back from Comiskey and a crazy guy was just standing around on the street with a metal pipe (I believe thats what it was) and for some reason began hitting the guy with it. This happened either right outside of the police station or very close to it. I hope someone with a better memory than mine can fill in some of the details, but the fact is it was heavily covered for weeks. This had nothing to do with the ballgame itself other than the fact that people were walking from it, just as it seems these people were walking from the cubs game or cubby bear or whatever. Lets see what exactly happens with this incident and how fast they try to sweep it under the rug.

If anyone would like to help me piece that story together please do so. I can't even remember if the guy (and I believe another girl was involved) survived or had brain damage or that. I'm sorry for the terrible injustice I have done to that story.

I figured I'd start this.

This was a horrible horrible incident that happened today. Its a shame how the media is going to blow this up. The only positive thing at this point is they have the suspect in custody and if it is him who did it, I hope he gets whats coming to him.

I want to be the first to say, I do not, and will not associate this with Cub fans in general. This is way too serious of a matter. I don't care if the Cub fans make fun of us all the time with crime and the South Side and US Cellular field. I will not go to such a low as to use something like this as a way to make fun of Cub fans. It shows no class and is extremely distastfull. Baseball is fun and games, this incodent is life and its serious. I can't imagine mixing the two. I can only hope that people will follow my example and show that we as Sox fans will not step over this line. We get enough bad media attention, this would just show that maybe we deserve it.

I think this is what you were referring to, southsideirish:

Link

Man guilty in fatal beating near Comiskey

Judge rejects insanity defense; assailant faces 90 years

By ASHLEY YARCHIN

Medill News Service

Tears of relief streamed down the faces of the family and friends of Roy Trumblay Wednesday as a Cook County judge convicted the man who fatally beat Trumblay and brutally battered three of his family members with a wooden table leg as they walked to a 1999 White Sox game.

"We're just very glad it's over so that we can move on," said Trumblay's daughter Dawn about the year-and-a-half long trial.

Thomas Cooper, 23, of the 10400 block of South Calhoun Avenue, was convicted on all 17 counts related to the murder of Trumblay, 56, and the attempted murder of Trumblay's wife, daughter and his daughter's boyfriend.

The family had driven from Burbank on Aug. 28, 1999, to see a baseball game at Comiskey Park. They were beaten by Cooper on a street corner just blocks away from the field, prosecutors said.

Cooper hit Kristy Trumblay, 22, first, and then attacked her father, who was trying to protect his daughter. Both suffered severe head injuries. Roy Trumblay died weeks later, and his daughter suffers lifelong brain damage.

Throughout the bench trial before Cook County Circuit Judge Clayton J. Crane, defense attorneys attributed Copper's actions to insanity.

"My client's actions were not those of a rational and sane person," attorney Michael Mayfield said in his closing argument. "It was because of the voices and the diseases he was suffering from at this time."

State-hired psychiatrist Dr. Carl Whalstrom testified that Cooper claimed to be insane and that voices in his head told him to kill. However, Dr. Whalstrom said he did not believe Cooper was actually insane.

Assistant State's Attorney Walter Hehner said during his closing argument that Cooper committed these crimes "on a clean bill of health [and] has no history of delusions, voices or hallucinations."

Crane ruled that Cooper is mentally ill but was not insane at the time of the attack.

Hehner said prosecutors are seeking a prison sentence of 90 years for Cooper -- 60 years for the murder and 30 for the attempted murders.

"We [want him to] get punished severely for what he did," Hehner said. "[Cooper] could have done this to any family going to White Sox Park that day."

Cooper is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 12.

That's horrible. Just a couple of lowlife gangbangers passing through, huh?

It can't be the first time that a murder has occured in that area, though. We're talking about Chicago here. We led the nation in homicides last year with 599. New York has three times the population, and they ended up with 596.

I was listening to the score at about 11:40 tonight and whoever the "on air personality" was talked about Wrigleyville after mentioning this shooting. He said that the area is "crazy this year". People are hanging around for hours after the game and the neighborhood is saturated with people just hanging around during the game. Also, he said that if it's this crazy in April and May, what will it be like in September?

I am in no way making light of this shooting incident, but it may have an effect of the perception the Wrigleyville is considerably safer than the Cell area.

imagine my surprise when i see that the only paper that is barely covering this story is the tribune... :rolleyes: every other paper in chicago has it within the first few pages....the tribune has a little blurb buried in the metro section....ridiculous

Frank Hernandez was a White Sox fan who had just watched the Cubs win with his buddies Thursday afternoon when he was gunned down in the street in front of Wrigley Field after striking an SUV driver with a souvenir miniature baseball bat, police and witnesses said.

Hernandez, 26, was crossing Clark Street about 6 p.m. when a Chevy Suburban cut him off and he hit the side of the sport-utility vehicle with the bat, a police official said.

The driver of the SUV got out and tried to attack Hernandez, who then broke the souvenir bat over the driver's head, the police official said. A passenger in the SUV got out with a handgun and shot Hernandez in the upper abdomen, police and witnesses said.

Hernandez collapsed on the sidewalk in front of a shuttered storefront just south of the Cubby Bear, a popular Wrigleyville watering hole. Paramedics performed CPR on the sidewalk, and Hernandez was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m.

Two Chicago Police officers who were parked in a squad car half a block away saw the fight break out and were watching in their rearview mirror as the passenger of the SUV allegedly shot Hernandez.

Witnesses said police took several men into custody almost immediately after the shooting.

Late Thursday, police were questioning "a person of interest" in connection with the shooting, but no charges had been filed, according to spokesmen for the police and the Cook County state's attorney's office.

Hernandez was shot about 90 minutes after the Cubs beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 11-3.

"He went to the Cubs game, and he was just waiting, got out and right there he got shot," a friend of the Hernandez family said as he sat sobbing outside the Illinois Masonic emergency room. "He told me, 'I'm gonna see the Cubs today. I'll go and see my buddies.'"

Hernandez's best friend, Brad Wallace Jr., who was with him at the game, had recently bought a cellular telephone with a built-in camera and had e-mailed his mother pictures from inside Wrigley, said Wallace's mother, Margaret Wallace.

Hernandez attended Chicago's Curie High School with her son, and both men worked downtown in office jobs, she said. Together with Hernandez's younger brother and another friend, the two best friends watched the Cubs trounce Arizona, she said.

"They loved to go to ballgames," Margaret Wallace said. "They try to get in a game every month, at least. They love sports.

"From what I've heard, they were crossing the street. There was a fight behind them. My son got to the curb and turned around. He heard two pops and went to talk to Frankie, and he was on the ground."

Silvio Stepancic, 23, a security guard at Bar Louie, 3545 N. Clark, said he heard the gunshot sometime after 6:15 p.m. and ran to try to resuscitate Hernandez.

"I heard a shot. I heard some people running. And I ran to keep him alive as soon as I could," Stepancic said.

Ald. Tom Tunney (44th), who was in his office several blocks away on Belmont Avenue when the shooting happened, said he was on the scene at Clark and Addison within minutes.

"We have to applaud the police; they were right there," Tunney said. "The response was immediate. It's unfortunate that somebody lost their life over anger and temperament."

Lorie Olszak, a friend of the owner of the SUV, said she spoke to a girlfriend of the owner Thursday. The girlfriend said he had called in the afternoon from Sluggers, a bar just south of the Cubby Bear on Clark.

The owner of the SUV, who had been working at a construction site near Wrigley Field, said he was heading to Sluggers after work with several co-workers, Olszak said.

The SUV owner made plans to meet the girlfriend after Sluggers on Thursday evening, but he never showed up, Olszak said.

Another witness, who asked to be named only as "Dan A." from Hanover Park, said he was standing on the corner of Addison and Clark shortly after 6 p.m., listening to kids play the buckets, when he heard gunfire.

"I turned around and I saw people running toward the sidewalk. Then I saw a crowd of people around some kid on the ground. His eyes were rolled back and ... he was spitting blood from his mouth."

Dan A. had watched the Cubs game from a private rooftop on Sheffield. He decided to hang around after the game to see if he could get an autograph from Cubs centerfielder Corey Patterson but didn't have any luck.

"I'm a suburban guy," he said. "I came to watch the game and have a nice day. And then this s--- happened."

Contributing: Frank Main, Fran Speilman, Ana Mendieta, Cathleen Falsani, Art Golab, Cheryl V. Jackson, Annie Sweeney

I remember an incident a couple years back that was reported. I can't rememeber all of the details, but do remember it was heavily covered for weeks. A man and his family were walking back from Comiskey and a crazy guy was just standing around on the street with a metal pipe (I believe thats what it was) and for some reason began hitting the guy with it. This happened either right outside of the police station or very close to it. I hope someone with a better memory than mine can fill in some of the details, but the fact is it was heavily covered for weeks. This had nothing to do with the ballgame itself other than the fact that people were walking from it, just as it seems these people were walking from the cubs game or cubby bear or whatever. Lets see what exactly happens with this incident and how fast they try to sweep it under the rug.

That was my mom's co-worker and her family. The daughter was in rehab for a very long time and the husband died.

The guy took a bus from another neighborhood (I can't remember how far) and picked the family out of the crowd headed to the game. I don't remember what his sentence was, but I know the family was satisfied with it.

I can't believe they said the guy was a sox fan.  What the hell does that have to do with this story except to let people say "Oh this sox fan came to wrigley and got in to trouble."  I mean seriously...why was that put in there.  It has nothing to do with this tragedy.

Also, instead of mentioning which neighborhood the victim was from, they just say 'south side.'

If anyone would like to help me piece that story together please do so. I can't even remember if the guy (and I believe another girl was involved) survived or had brain damage or that. I'm sorry for the terrible injustice I have done to that story.

The weapon was a table leg. I don't remember all the other details though.