Uribe Named Starting 2nd Baseman

Texsox

It was Uribe's third career multi-homer game, as he raised his average to .348. After the game, Guillen announced the obvious and anointed his "spark plug" as the team's starting second baseman.

"I say thank you to the team for giving me a chance," Uribe said. "When you get the chance, you can do something at the plate. I felt good and comfortable, and I'm working hard for the team."

chisox.com article

I don't like this. I know Valentine has been hitting well but you have to trade him or bench him. Make Uribe starting SS and Willie 2B. Let Aaron play CF, if he struggles then take him out and put in Willie, but to sit Rowand is not a good idea.

I think rowand will get the majority of playing time. Plus they also have Timo to back up CF. So my guess is, Willie is going to back up Uribe the majority of the time.

I don't understand this move. :huh

It seems obvious that Uribe should be named the starting 3rd baseman, not 2nd baseman. All this coddling of Crede - I don't get it. This isn't little league. If you play poorly, you sit. How can anybody, including Ozzie, look at this situation and play Crede and sit Harris.

I also HATE the idea of Harris playing CF. It's the hardest outfield position to play and you can't just stick somebody there 2-3 days a week who has been playing 2nd all year. Either there will be mutiple misplays out there or an injury.

It seems obvious that Uribe should be named the starting 3rd baseman, not 2nd baseman.  All this coddling of Crede - I don't get it. This isn't little league.  If you play poorly, you sit.  How can anybody, including Ozzie, look at this situation and play Crede and sit Harris.

I also HATE the idea of Harris playing CF.  It's the hardest outfield position to play and you can't just stick somebody there 2-3 days a week who has been playing 2nd all year.  Either there will be mutiple misplays out there or an injury.

I agree a bit AND disagree a bit.

I agree that Crede should put put down for a while, and keep E6 and Willie at their spots.

But I disagree about Willie splitting time - he's played both positions before, and he should be able to play both when asked. There are bench guys who play 5 positions, and if Willie is considered to be better than a bench guy he should be able to play 2. It's all muscle memory - once the instincts develop a bit, it should be just like riding a bike.

It seems obvious that Uribe should be named the starting 3rd baseman, not 2nd baseman.  All this coddling of Crede - I don't get it. This isn't little league.  If you play poorly, you sit.  How can anybody, including Ozzie, look at this situation and play Crede and sit Harris.

I also HATE the idea of Harris playing CF.  It's the hardest outfield position to play and you can't just stick somebody there 2-3 days a week who has been playing 2nd all year.  Either there will be mutiple misplays out there or an injury.

I think when Ozzie said that Joe reminded him of Ventura Ozzie meant it, and is giving Joe the same courtesy Ventura was given when he was struggling. I don't agree with it, but I don't see things changing.

I agree a bit AND disagree a bit.

I agree that Crede should put put down for a while, and keep E6 and Willie at their spots.

But I disagree about Willie splitting time - he's played both positions before, and he should be able to play both when asked. There are bench guys who play 5 positions, and if Willie is considered to be better than a bench guy he should be able to play 2. It's all muscle memory - once the instincts develop a bit, it should be just like riding a bike.

Guys who play 5 (?) positions are exceedingly rare (I can't think of any unless you're counting the outfield as 3 positions). Even guys who play 3 positions like Uribe are uncommon and play those 3 positions constantly - during spring training, winter leagues and the regular season.

Harris spent virtually no time in CF this year - I think short stints for 2 games in all of spring training and this season - and is still a developing hitter and leadoff man. I don't think you can just take him and have him sit on the bench some days, play CF some days and play 2B some days.

It's not like riding a bike.

Thats a great call having Uribe as the everyday second basement. we need willies speed in center and rowand really brings nothing to the table but decent fielding, something that is not a top priority to us right now. willie in center, jose at short and uribe at second completes the perfect mix for now

Willie is going to be the centerfielder for now.  Eventually if Crede continues to struggle I'm sure Uribe will be moved to 3rd.  There is no way Willie is getting taken out of the lineup so don't worry.

Yeah, he hasn't given much reason to be taken out of the starting lineup. He's batting .308 right now, and that's the 2nd best BA on the team behind Uribe's.

I like that this is a problem for us though. It shows that everyone really deserves to be in there.

Thats a great call having Uribe as the everyday second basement. we need willies speed in center and rowand really brings nothing to the table but decent fielding, something that is not a top priority to us right now. willie in center, jose at short and uribe at second completes the perfect mix for now

Fielding "is not a top priority to us right now" in center field.

Huh? :dips***