Paging Jon Adkins

aboz56

I've heard the excuses....He's not stretched out enough....He's comfortable in the bullpen....Yada Yada Yada.

And I've heard enough.

If the Sox were smart, they'd immediately option Adkins to AAA and begin stretching him out...There are 12 days left before we need a 5th starter again, by that time Adkins can surely be ready to go 5 innings of work, which would be a long stint for our 5th spot.

This idea that Ozzie has that Adkins and Cotts need to stay in the bullpen has got to stop. If KW isn't going to step up and make a deal, one of these guys is going to have to assume this role, unless Arnaldo Munoz is ready to step in, which could be possible.

The other options, Diaz, Grilli, Stewart, are surely not going to be more solid than Adkins or Cotts. If they were, they'd be with the big club already. Remember Ozzie left Tucson with the guys that he thinks will give him the best chance to win. And just so you don't think I am picking on Diaz, I do agree that he was set up to fail, but I'd like to see him get another chance eventually...just not before Adkins...

So why not Adkins, you tell me.

Don't count out Cotts or Diaz getting another shot again.. ;)

Cotts, Diaz not out of 5th-starter derby 

May 30, 2004, 10:37 PM CDT

With infielder Kelly Dransfeldt recalled to take the place of Jon Rauch, the White Sox will have an 11-man pitching staff, giving them the flexibility of five extra position players.

In essence, they have delayed a decision on a fifth starter until June 12, which is the next time they would need one.

"We'll continue to look at some internal options ... someone from the bullpen or go down to the minor leagues to give someone another opportunity," general manager Ken Williams said. "Whoever it is, we want to give more of an opportunity to get comfortable in that role and work through whatever the difficulties are."

One distinct possibility could be Neal Cotts, even though he failed last season and this season in his "tryouts" as the fifth starter. But this time, the Sox could be patient with Cotts, who has been a starter throughout his minor-league career but is currently in the major-league bullpen.

"I would feel comfortable either way," Cotts said.

Another possibility is Felix Diaz, who has improved his numbers at Triple-A Charlotte to 7-0 and 2.41. Diaz failed once as the fifth starter, but the Sox could also afford to be more patient with him this time.

"We don't need much out of [the fifth starter]," Williams said. "If we can get a quality start or something near to a quality start and the offense produces that day, then we're all right. But, obviously, long-term and thinking more towards championship-type caliber ball, then you're probably going to need more than that."

Williams continues to explore trade opportunities, but has yet to find a fit.

Suntimes also said Adkins can be a possibility. Munoz as well.

The Sox have to give their best starting prospects a chance to be the 5th starter, with the trade market the way it is. Munoz should be first. Adkins maybe [but I think he's better suited for the bullpen]. After that, I don't know. Maybe Diaz again to see if he's learned anything, Grilli. No else seems close.

Let's review the stay of Felix Diaz.  He looked decent for three plus innings against a real good hitting Baltimore team and then ON THREE DAYS REST, was shelled by the Tribe when they were red hot.  I think he deserves another shot.

Good point, and I totally agree. Not the best of situation's for one's first two career major league starts. He threw strikes, it's just he got caught throwing one too many changes up in the zone. And the hitters hit that pitch out.

Diaz should get another shot. Set him up in Charlotte to get his turn in the rotation to coinincide with when he is needed here. Limit him to 85 pitches in his last start before call up so he'll he be fresh and strong when he gets here. Give him the best chance to win that the organizationcan give him.

Why not Adkins?  Because Cotts is a better pitcher and they are both in the same position.  Under your scenario, they should just go with Cotts.

Then go with cotts! Give him another shot! I would rather of had him starting the other day then rauch. that guy is a bum. We need to stabilize the 5th starter with someone and give them like a span of 3-4 games before this gets out of control which is what has already happened.