Ignorant Call-Ups

aboz56

We aren't going to win with these guys, what is the point of bringing up Jamie Burke?

While the options aren't exactly exciting at Charlotte, why not Andres Torres a speed guy you can bring in to pinch run and also as a guy who can put down the bunt, something this team lacks greatly in certain situations?

And why not Jeremy Reed, who has struggled, but is our number one prospect and could surely be an ample replacement for our missing outfielder in right...

Kelly Dransfeldt is a guy who was RELEASED from AAA last year and Jamie Burke, while a nice guy and a good clubhouse guy, is pretty much a AAA player who is not going to help you win now or in the future. To me, these guys have NO upside whatsoever.

We are better suited taking a chance on players who have the upside like Reed and even Torres (for pinch running and bunting situations) than calling up career minor leaguers. Who knows, maybe even Borchard should be mentioned if he is deemed ready to play in the next few days, which wouldn't be a surprise.

Or perhaps, making a trade would best suit this situation. Nonetheless, I am not in the least bit happy with having Burke and Dransfeldt on the active roster... :headshake

Why would you call up Reed to sit the bench most of the time? It makes more sense to have him playing everyday in AAA. Of course you may see Reed if Mags is put on the DL, but he's not someone I want on my bench when he should be playing as much as possible.

I don't know anything about Torres, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true for him.

Dransfeldt has already helped us win when he was called up originally. Burke provides us with more options at third and at catcher, allowing for more pinch hitting with the left handed bats. Reed and Borchard aren't being called up because they don't want to waste an option on them for temporary play, as well as because Borchard is nursing his own injury. It's not a bad move IMO. Also, we have plenty of outfielders on the bench, and when we need a fifth starter to be called up, we will need another infielder for depth as opposed to more outfielders.

Dransfeldt has already helped us win when he was called up originally. Burke provides us with more options at third and at catcher, allowing for more pinch hitting with the left handed bats. Reed and Borchard aren't being called up because they don't want to waste an option on them for temporary play, as well as because Borchard is nursing his own injury. It's not a bad move IMO. Also, we have plenty of outfielders on the bench, and when we need a fifth starter to be called up, we will need another infielder for depth as opposed to more outfielders.

We need an everyday outfielder, which neither Rowand, Gload or Perez is.

If Reed is healthy or Borchard is healthy, one of them should be called up. It's that simple.

And BTW, Dransfeldt also lost a game for us on that groundball that he left go through his legs like they were a crochet wicket back in Baltimore. Yea, he got a hit to beat TB, so what?

We need an everyday outfielder, which neither Rowand, Gload or Perez is.

If Reed is healthy or Borchard is healthy, one of them should be called up.  It's that simple.

ABoz - just wondering - is Borchard healthy? When was the last time he played? I haven't been able to keep up with Charlotte lately...

ABoz - just wondering - is Borchard healthy?  When was the last time he played?  I haven't been able to keep up with Charlotte lately...

He's been out about a week, but since Charlotte rarely updates their website with any injury related news, it's hard to know the severity of the injury. From what I know, it is not serious.

He's been out about a week, but since Charlotte rarely updates their website with any injury related news, it's hard to know the severity of the injury.  From what I know, it is not serious.

That's good - I mean, the guy really started hitting well before his slight injury, and if anyone deserves it, it's him. He's been labeled about every word possible. Good luck Joe, we certainly could use a right fielder on the big club for a month or so! :headbang

I agree with ya Aboz. I can understand not wanting to use up options on the likes of Borchard and Reed but they're going to be given atleast a week of fulltime play. If they can hit at all then you keep them up and send Rowand or Crede down and keep either of them in CF/RF. I can't think of a much better opportunity to see if either of them can make an impact on this team over the course of the season. We just lost one of, if not the best, bats in our lineup for another week or two, we can't just plug in AAAA players and expect to win.

If Maggs does end up on the DL I would rather see Borchard up and not Burke and Dransfeldt. Kelly is probably only going to sub and I don't think hitting wise he has produced anything but singles. Burke can play cathcer, 3B and the OF, but he is a sub also. Again, it all depends on Maggs situation, but we need a starting OF'er with some pop to his bat. Great chance to see what Joe B can do over the course of 2-4 weeks. But then again I am not the GM or manager so we live with KW's and Ozzie's decision obviously.

I think Ozzie wants to giv A-Row and Gload a chance to battle each other for the RF spot while Maggs in on the DL. I'd rather Borchard continue at Charlotte, instead of playin once a week for the White Sox. If Borchard keeps sluggin though, it's goin to hard not to promote him. ;)

I think Ozzie wants to giv A-Row and Gload a chance to battle each other for the RF spot while Maggs in on the DL. I'd rather Borchard continue at Charlotte, instead of playin once a week for the White Sox. If Borchard keeps sluggin though, it's goin to hard not to promote him.  ;)

Rowand and Gload.... :sleep

Borchard and Reed.... :headbang

Rowand and Gload.... :sleep

Borchard and Reed.... :headbang

I'm not convinced Reed can contribute at the moment, he's still in a mini slump for the Knights, obviously Gload is one of Ozzie's boys and he probably deserves at least a week or 2 startin. Borchard caught a bad break with his injury, that's all, hopefully he can get back to form quickly. :)

I'm not convinced Reed can contribute at the moment, he's still in a mini slump for the Knights, obviously Gload is one of Ozzie's boys and he probably deserves at least a week or 2 startin. Borchard caught a bad break with his injury, that's all, hopefully he can get back to form quickly.  :)

I like, though, how we can say that 'Reed is in a slump' and he's still hitting a quality .280. If that's Reed's worst, he is going to be a very good player.

FYI, Reed went 2 for 4 tonight with 2 doubles, 3 runs and 2 RBI and is hitting .285...Enough with the service time BS, we are in the thick of things, use the best players we have and call him up.

We aren't going to win with these guys, what is the point of bringing up Jamie Burke?

While the options aren't exactly exciting at Charlotte, why not Andres Torres a speed guy you can bring in to pinch run and also as a guy who can put down the bunt, something this team lacks greatly in certain situations?

And why not Jeremy Reed, who has struggled, but is our number one prospect and could surely be an ample replacement for our missing outfielder in right...

Kelly Dransfeldt is a guy who was RELEASED from AAA last year and Jamie Burke, while a nice guy and a good clubhouse guy, is pretty much a AAA player who is not going to help you win now or in the future.  To me, these guys have NO upside whatsoever. 

We are better suited taking a chance on players who have the upside like Reed and even Torres (for pinch running and bunting situations) than calling up career minor leaguers.  Who knows, maybe even Borchard should be mentioned if he is deemed ready to play in the next few days, which wouldn't be a surprise.

Or perhaps, making a trade would best suit this situation.  Nonetheless, I am not in the least bit happy with having Burke and Dransfeldt on the active roster... :headshake

:lol:

Them two will pick up where Magglio left off.

It's kind of hard calling up J Reed when all spots on the 40 man roster are filled. Unless KW is some sort of magician, this was the right move to make. And a healthy Jamie Burke is much better than an injured Joe Borchard.