Garland upset at umps last night

quade36

The Ump had an extremely tight strikezone on Garland. Some of his pitches that were right there were called balls and you could see the frustration on his face.

No getting around Oakland haze

July 16, 2004

BY DOUG PADILLA Staff Reporter

Advertisement

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The White Sox found a new way to lose at Oakland, and Jon Garland blamed the umpire for part of this one.

The Sox fell to the Athletics 4-2 in their second-half opener as the offense came out flat and Garland gave up three walks in a three-run fourth inning for the A's. Garland was coming off back-to-back outings in which he allowed just one run in seven innings.

''I didn't change anything; I'm still throwing the same pitches in the same spots,'' Garland said. ''It wasn't going my way. I'm not one to say umpires make a difference in the game, but I think they did tonight.

''I definitely think he missed a few pitches, and it hurt me. When a guy goes 2-0 or 3-0 instead of 2-1 or 2-2, obviously it's going to go better in his favor.''

Garland (7-6) said he voiced his displeasure with home-plate umpire Mark Wegner, but only for his own satisfaction.

"You can't go back and change any calls,'' he said. "What's done is done.''

The Sox now have four consecutive defeats at Oakland and 14 in their last 15 tries.

The A's scored three runs in the fourth with the aid of just one hit as Garland walked Scott Hatteberg and Erubiel Durazo to lead off the inning before Bobby Crosby delivered an RBI double. Damian Miller then walked before Eric Byrnes brought in another run with a fielder's choice.

Mark Kotsay followed with a fly ball to center that Timo Perez caught on the run. But with Byrnes slow to get back to first base, Perez threw to first to try to get a double play. The only problem was that Paul Konerko moved to the middle of the infield to be the cutoff man in case Crosby tried to score from third.

Perez's throw went into the Sox dugout, and the error gave the A's their third run of the inning.

''It was instinct,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''You see the runner, you don't see the guys playing first base. Nobody was there.''

The A's added their final run in the fifth on a home run by Eric Chavez.

Meanwhile, the Sox struggled vs. A's starter Rich Harden (4-5) as their first 13 batters were retired.

Magglio Ordonez hit a two-run home run in the seventh off Harden, his first since May 4 (83 at-bats), but the Sox had just four hits off the right-hander as he pitched a career-high eight innings.

''With all the time off, the guys didn't swing the bats the way we can,'' Guillen said. ''With the time off, I think a couple of guys were off on their timing, and that happens to everybody.''

So far this season the Sox have lost two games at Oakland in extra innings, on back-to-back walk-off home runs, to go with Thursday's frustrating defeat.

''We've played well here last year,'' Garland said. ''I think we had a chance to win both games the last time we were in. I think this game should have gone into the ninth 2-2.

''But what can you do? Hang with them.''

Konerko, the Sox' hottest hitter in the first half of the season, went 0-for-3 but is confident he will have a strong finish.

Over his last 17 games before Thursday, he was batting .424; over his previous 48 games, he was batting .343 with 16 home runs and 41 RBI.

The All-Star break could have been seen as bad timing for the streaking Konerko, but he found a way to make it go by in a blink.

''This was the quickest All-Star break that I think I ever had because I didn't leave town,'' he said.

''I worked out [Wednesday] at the field. I had a good thing going on Sunday. There is no reason why 72 hours is going to change that. I got good work in Monday, and I picked up where I left off in the routine.''

While I don't like Jonny calling out the umps and going to the press about it(because he will probably be fined for this), he's right. That plate umpire was s*** last night. Harden was getting calls Garland was not...that's not right.

And how about the DP that wasn't in the 4th? Beautiful work by the umpires rolleyeyes.gif :stick

That was a bad call on the double play in the 4th. It was the first time Guillen came out to argue a call on the bases, turns out he was right. Very close play, but the guy was out at 1st.

I saw 1-2 pitches that could've gone Garland's way, but I really didn't think the home plate umpire was that bad. One of the pitches, though, was on a guy he walked in that 4th inning.

I agree with JG -- There were some bad calls, specifically in the 4th. --

On the other hand our guys didn't exactly work Harden deep in the count to force some bad calls on the other end.

As soon as Oakland put up those 3 runs I went to bed. I knew with the s***ty ABs we were getting off of Harden that we wouldn't beat him, because we weren't working deep enough into counts to get him out of the game.

As soon as Oakland put up those 3 runs I went to bed.  I knew with the s***ty ABs we were getting off of Harden that we wouldn't beat him, because we weren't working deep enough into counts to get him out of the game.

I did the same thing.

There were a few calls that should have been in favor of Garland. Though it’s not the first time Jon has allowed more than 3 walks in one day. He’s a very good pitcher who can throw DP balls, but that time (4th inning) he didn’t get out of trouble.

Gar had little chance with that zone, nothing low, shoulder high, and nothing on the black. He actually did pretty good considering but with Harden having a big advantage(plus we sure did help him out too) it was just a matter of time.

One question...shoulder high?

Just another example of Jon being Judy. I realize there are bad calls, s*** happens. The guy refuses to pitch with any adversity (errors, calls) and goes into a shell. Hello, 0-2 ahead in the count walks and big innings.

You're missing the point. He walked batters not because he pitched like a woman, but because the ump screwed him. The calls against him were ridiculous. They weren't close balls going against Jon, they were balls where the entire baseball was over the white part of the plate. Harden got calls, Jon didn't. That's not how it's done, and Jon should be complaining.

You're missing the point. He walked batters not because he pitched like a woman, but because the ump screwed him. The calls against him were ridiculous. They weren't close balls going against Jon, they were balls where the entire baseball was over the white part of the plate. Harden got calls, Jon didn't. That's not how it's done, and Jon should be complaining.

No, you're missing the point. Sometimes stuff like that happens, it's called adversity. Even if he was screwed a bit, it's no reason to pout and let it get in your head. BTW, the entire baseball over the plate being called a ball? That's pure crap, i'd like to see what camera angles you had last night...did you have ump cam? Talk about extreme exaggeration.

BTW, complaining to an ump doesn't do anything positive, trust me on this one.

Just another example of Jon being Judy. I realize there are bad calls, s*** happens. The guy refuses to pitch with any adversity (errors, calls) and goes into a shell. Hello, 0-2 ahead in the count walks and big innings.

The guy got screwed over by the umps multiple times and still only gave up 3 ER in 7 innings. Man, what a pussy!

:headshake

If you refer to my previous posts, i mentioned the problem of the 'big inning.' I realize 3 isn't huge, but he could have had an even better start. Plus, i'm talking about an overall problem with Jon, not just one game. I guess i needed to spell that out.

If you refer to my previous posts, i mentioned the problem of the 'big inning.' I realize 3 isn't huge, but he could have had an even better start. Plus, i'm talking about an overall problem with Jon, not just one game. I guess i needed to spell that out.

The Judy s*** is old -- Especially when MB has been far more guilty of it this season.

Yeah, I understand. I have been critical of him in the past but this time I don't think it was really his fault. I think he is pitching much better than he used to and was screwed by the umps and that caused the inning, not so much him.

Yeah, I understand.  I have been critical of him in the past but this time I don't think it was really his fault.  I think he is pitching much better than he used to and was screwed by the umps and that caused the inning, not so much him.

That's fine. I guess just overall i hate when people start whining about the umps - only because i think it happens too often. Bad calls/missed calls are part of baseball...and just because pitches are 'close' doesn't make them strikes.

That's fine. I guess just overall i hate when people start whining about the umps - only because i think it happens too often. Bad calls/missed calls are part of baseball...and just because pitches are 'close' doesn't make them strikes.

In the 4th inning specifically he was consistently biting the outside corner, with the ball moving away from the hitter. Granted with the camera view from centerfield being a bit off center you can't tell 100% what's a strike and what isn't, but those were balls that are generally called strikes. Jon kept trying, hitting the exact spot, and none were called for strikes. He knew that he was being forced to pitch meatballs or walk guys. He was in a tough spot. I was getting pissed with the calls, I'm glad to see Jon feels the same, atleast it wasn't that I was just being a homer.

No, you're missing the point. Sometimes stuff like that happens, it's called adversity. Even if he was screwed a bit, it's no reason to pout and let it get in your head. BTW, the entire baseball over the plate being called a ball? That's pure crap, i'd like to see what camera angles you had last night...did you have ump cam? Talk about extreme exaggeration.

BTW, complaining to an ump doesn't do anything positive, trust me on this one.

Extreme exaggeration? Come on. Maybe you need glasses, Garland threw several strikes that were called for balls. And pout and let it get in his head? He's not Carlos Zambrano, he waited until after the game to say anything to the umpire. I wouldn't say that is pouty and letting it get to his head.

And complaining to the ump does do stuff. If the ump calls Garland again, he'll either screw him more, or realize he squeezed him last time out.

And ff arguing with the ump didn't work, you'd never see it. I won't trust you on that one.