George wants out

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Eddie George, Tennessee's all-time leading rusher, rejected the Titans' latest contract offer Monday and asked the team to release him quickly so he can seek a job with a new team.

George and Lamont Smith, his agent, considered the Titans' offer over the weekend, but the proposal had not changed significantly from what the team initially offered in March.

"I'm not accepting it," George told The Associated Press on Monday night. "My expectation when making the decision is to be released. At that point, I'm looking at other options."

Smith said he told the Titans earlier Monday that George had rejected the offer and wanted to be released. He was told that team officials wanted to "kick it around" and get back to them.

"Eddie was clear to me -- no more discussions," Smith said. "There's nothing else to discuss."

A Titans spokesman had no immediate comment Monday night.

George is under contract through 2006 and was due to make $4.25 million this season. The Titans asked him in February to rework his contract and paid him a $1 million roster bonus in March.

But the salary cap-strapped Titans, whose woes are only expected to worsen in 2005, need to clear space to sign their draft picks before training camp starts July 31.

Smith said they gave the Titans a counteroffer two to three months ago that would have shaved $3 million from their salary cap, only to see team officials stick close to a proposal of approximately $1.5 million this season with less money each year through 2006.

"In essence, the deal we had on the table doesn't assure me of anything but a one-year deal," George said. "I don't plan on retiring after next year."

George took part in the team's offseason minicamps with both sides publicly optimistic that a new deal could be reached. But NFL teams start opening camps over the next two weeks.

"We believe that the time has come and gone for negotiations, and it's just basically time to go on," Smith said.

George has a franchise-best 10,009 yards, and he has never missed a start since the franchise drafted the 1995 Heisman Trophy winner out of Ohio State. His 112 consecutive starts are behind only Walter Payton (170) and Ricky Watters (114).

George, who turns 31 in September, spoke Monday of Tampa Bay, Philadelphia and Dallas as potential options and said he wants to join a team with a chance of winning a Super Bowl if he leaves Tennessee.

Releasing George would leave the Titans with second-year rusher Chris Brown, veteran Robert Holcombe and rookies Troy Fleming, Vick King and Jarrett Payton at running back.

Hey greasy I have a question for you since you seem to be a Colts fan. How do the Colts view David Thornton now? He was a special guy as UNC, came as a walk-on and worked his ass off to get where he is with nothing given to him at all. I know he performed well last year. I watched him play alot on the Directv football package, but I also heard they were thinking about replacing him because he over-ran some plays. Just wondering if you knew anything about if he's gonna start this year.

And the Colts have just won the AFC South! :)

Sorry to hear you're a Colts fan. Titans fan here.

Listen man, what happened what that Reese told EG back in FEB that either he takes a paycut, app. $1.5M/yr, or he was gone. He told EG that the Titans could no longer afford financially or competitively to feature a RB who barely averages 3yds per carry. George initially agreed to the cut and then at the last minute "changed his mind" which put the Titans in one hell of a bind. Since then the Titans have NEVER changed their offer and are INTENTIONALLY dragging this out with George to f*** him over, being he tried to f*** over the Titans front office.

Chris Brown is an upgrade over Eddie. I'm excited about our chances of taking the South back this year. Should be an exciting season in one of the best divisions in all of football.

Hey greasy I have a question for you since you seem to be a Colts fan. How do the Colts view David Thornton now? He was a special guy as UNC, came as a walk-on and worked his ass off to get where he is with nothing given to him at all. I know he performed well last year. I watched him play alot on the Directv football package, but I also heard they were thinking about replacing him because he over-ran some plays. Just wondering if you knew anything about if he's gonna start this year.

I honestly don't really know what the Colts are going to do for who's starting where and when on the defensive side; there's been a couple shakeups on that side of the line. I can really see Dungy keeping Thornton in the starting lineup; Thornton came up huge for us quite a few times last season. I really see Dungy making the defense step it up even more this season; this team will really be balanced with a solid offense and defense this year. However, at this point, your guess is as good as mine. But with what we saw of him last year; I can definitely see Thornton starting.