music

hi8is

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:08 AM)
does any one else here enjoy radiohead

I'm pumped that I'm going to both chicago shows this June

any one else get tickets or try ect...

i got tickets for the 20th, can't wait. 15 step, spooks, couple of the new songs sound great...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
I can deal with them, but I don't see the fascination. It's mind boggling that some people call them music geniuses. :huh

Oh God, it's so hard not slamming you into the ground based on your post and sig. So f***ing hard. Truth be told, their newer stuff doesn't interest me that much, but they still kind of made OK Computer. I heard that was okay. Confirm/deny?

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)
I can deal with them, but I don't see the fascination. It's mind boggling that some people call them music geniuses. :huh

considering OK Computer and their completion of the most successful merger of electronic and pop with Kid A i don't think its mind boggling at all.How many good radiohead covers do you hear?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:32 AM)
whats with the indians avatar?

lose a bet or something?

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Edited by Rex Kickass

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:53 AM)
of the new songs I think arpeggi and nude are the best, while bodysnatchers is sounding great to me

15 step sounds a little sloppy at the beginning, then it really picks up

the first bootlegs of 15 step...especially the first show...i was laughing at how bad it was...but then the next few really impressed me. I agree, i thought the orchestral arpeggi was a little cheesy, but the full band with the drums is really great. And big ideas has always been a fav. of mine. Bodysnatchers i'm iffy on.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
considering OK Computer and their completion of the most successful merger of electronic and pop with Kid A i don't think its mind boggling at all.How many good radiohead covers do you hear?

i'm stirring the pot for jimH

I'm still waiting to hear a good original tune. :huh

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Oh God, it's so hard not slamming you into the ground based on your post and sig. So f***ing hard. Truth be told, their newer stuff doesn't interest me that much, but they still kind of made OK Computer. I heard that was okay. Confirm/deny?

Slam away, I never remember calling the Dave Matthews Band music geniuses. Extremely talented yes, music geniuses, not so much.

I love Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Grand Funk Railroad, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, U2, REM, Korn, Anthrax, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Oasis, The BeeGees, Bad Company, The Beatles, Coldplay, Tool, Rush, Deep Purple, Triumph, and tons of other progessive artists.

The music nowadays can go f*** itself.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
Of all things, I broke out the Traveling Wilburies this week, and remembered how awesome they were. Defiantely brought the term "superband" to mind.

Very cool. Roy Orbison gave that group a twang that they couldnt maintain when he passed away.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
Of all things, I broke out the Traveling Wilburies this week, and remembered how awesome they were. Defiantely brought the term "superband" to mind.

One of the few "Supergroups" to also live up to the hype of the people involved.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
If you honestly think Sigur Ros is ambient, see them live, if not, you can be an ignoramus somewhere else. Please try and label them ambient after listening to Hjartad Hamast, Ny Batteri or Untitled #8.

Brian Eno is ambient, William Basinski is ambient, you're just flat out wrong. I mean, the only apt analogy I can find is like you listened to half of Mogwai's catalog and labeled them quiet. You're so wrong you're unbelivable.

"Yeah, man, f*** those Icelandic freaks who don't play formulaic rock and roll that's been beat into the ground for the past decade."

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
Whatever you think about Sigur Ros aside (personally I find them completely captivating about 75% of the time, but I'm not sure I'd want to see them live), I think we can safely say Jim DeRogatis has been a douche long before this column. I figured it out when he wouldn't stop worshipping at Courtney Love's jockstrap on his awful Sunday night radio show.

A lot of people have that opinion about him, big deal, he's a critic. It doesn't mean he's always wrong. People will love him when they agree with him and call him a moron when they don't.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
One of the few "Supergroups" to also live up to the hype of the people involved.

Yeah, you would think ego or something like that would really make it difficult for the sum of the parts to add up to the whole, but they did it. Incredible stuff.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
Yeah, you would think ego or something like that would really make it difficult for the sum of the parts to add up to the whole, but they did it. Incredible stuff.

What probably worked was the fact that the only member I ever heard of in that group that suffered from a rotten ego was Jeff Lynne. But when faced with who he was playing alongside, any ego would be quited I would think. I mean, there you stand next to Roy and George, how can you possibly have an ego with those two in the same studio???

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
"Yeah, man, f*** those Icelandic freaks who don't play formulaic rock and roll that's been beat into the ground for the past decade."

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.

A lot of people have that opinion about him, big deal, he's a critic. It doesn't mean he's always wrong. People will love him when they agree with him and call him a moron when they don't.

well, it certainly came across that way.

>how come people don't talk this way about Greg Kott then. They both work together on Sound Opinions, yet people's opinions of kott are usually they think he's great or a far more gentler dislike. The reason being Kotts write ups are far more thoughtful and less reactionary then Derogatis...and he has a greater ability to write about more genres then Jim D.

is anyone gonna try and see The Fall 5/30

QUOTE(bmags @ May 15, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
is anyone gonna try and see The Fall 5/30

You must be a glutton for punishment. I think Mark is way past his prime, they were great in the early 80's around the time of Grotesque and Hex Enduction Hour but they're a bit long in the tooth nowadays.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
What probably worked was the fact that the only member I ever heard of in that group that suffered from a rotten ego was Jeff Lynne. But when faced with who he was playing alongside, any ego would be quited I would think. I mean, there you stand next to Roy and George, how can you possibly have an ego with those two in the same studio???

Not to mention Bob Dylan and Tom Petty...