Neal Cotts and his role for this year

CSF

I know he's in the 'pen this year, and has gotten "roughed up" a little bit, but I'm definitely not ready to give up on him yet. What I'm wondering is, despite the struggles this year, if he'll be given a shot at the rotation next year? Ever since the botched start in the Metrodome back in May, he really hasn't pitched the same. I was in favor of sending him down to Charlotte just for the premise of him gaining stamina for a possible return to the rotation. While that's not gonna happen this year, I'd still like to see it next year. Potential doesn't win games, but it's also very difficult to pass up.

I think he's awesome trade-bait.

Who's going to replace him in the pen? David Sanders, who's really struggled all year down at Charlotte or Kelly Wunsch, who even isn't on the 40 man roster.

I think the absolute worst thing to do with Neal is for him to start off an inning. He seems to think too far ahead of himself and gets into some huge jams that he can't get himself out of. Bring him in when there are runners on base. He does much better with inherited runners than a clean slate, stunningly.

My vote is send him back to AAA and get him some starts again, and either give Wunsch a shot to get his job back or add someone. Cotts looks like he could be a pretty good lefty starter, so I'd rather not just deal him(unless we get a stud). I'm not so sure about Diaz, but I'd rather have him than not. I kind of hope Kenny doesn't make any moves because unless we get Randy, Pavano/Penny if Florida slips, Kendall, or Cattalanato, I don't see anyone that would make a major impact. Most of those deals don't seem likely.

i wouldn't trade him yet unless it was a helluva deal and someone really wanted him.

he reminds me a lot of garland — really good stuff, but a lack of focus sometimes gets him off his game. having been through the whole garland thing (waiting, waiting, bueller...) i have reservations about hanging around and waiting for cotts. at the same time, he is a talent.

my thought is this: make a decision in the offseason whether you want him to start or relieve. if you want him to start, start him in spring as a starter and leave him there until he fails miserably, or succeeds. if you put him in the pen, define his role and leave him in the pen. i've not seen anything out of him that tells me he's prepared to shift roles midseason, at least at this point of his career.

Vic Darensburg?

From Rotoworld, 7/16

Mets signed LHP Vic Darensbourg to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Norfolk.

Darensbourg was let go by the White Sox earlier this month. The organization demoted Royce Ring to Double-A Binghamton to make room for Darensbourg in Norfolk.

Off Topic:

I feel SO bad for poor Norfolk - they're home to the Mets' minor-league team AND the SlackHawks' minor-league team.....wow.....talk about :puke

On Topic:

I don't really see much in Cotts anymore. I see Josh Stewart when I look at Cotts.

I hope I'm wrong, and Lord knows I often am - :D - but I have no faith in him when he comes into a game.

From Rotoworld, 7/16

Mets signed LHP Vic Darensbourg to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Norfolk.

Darensbourg was let go by the White Sox earlier this month. The organization demoted Royce Ring to Double-A Binghamton to make room for Darensbourg in Norfolk.

God, what does that tell you about Royce Ring if he got sent down because of Darensburg?

I still remain very high on Cotts. He has to somehow get his confidence back, whether that is starting a couple of games in aaa I don't know. His era sucks this year but he really has made great strides. Before that start in Minny he was really dominating and he's really harnassed his control this year, he can throw strikes now, last year he couldn't.