Not to be Outdone by CBS

LowerCaseRepublican

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...2^13762,00.html

Fox News apologised today for posting phoney quotes from US Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry on its website.

Carl Cameron, a Fox reporter who covers the Kerry campaign, wrote an item that had looked like a news story but had made-up Kerry quotes, said Paul Schur, a Fox spokesman.

Why is Fox making up stories actual news?

Same reason Dan Rather was news. While we can debate bias and slanting the absolute bottom line is we demand accuracy and truth. Even the most ardent defender of the journalistic community will not defend innaccuraties and falsified reports. Being fooled is one thing, out and out lying is another.

It happened to the NY Times last year and one made up report even won a Purlitzer Prize.

Nothing will destroy journalism if it is not credible.

this was obviously a joke...

'"Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!' Kerry said Friday.

'"It's about the Supreme Court. Women should like me! I do manicures,' Kerry said."

The item also quoted Kerry as saying of himself and President Bush: "I'm metrosexual — he's a cowboy."

...i pity the person who actually thought these were real quotes.

Goldmember, the story is that they went ahead and published a fake story being idiots...the same as Dan Rather (whose head they want on a silver platter)

How can you compare those two? I know that many left-leaning folks despise FNC and will nitpick, but jesus, it was an obvious joke. I didn't sense anything funny in Rather's story.

The difference was that Rather didn't make stuff up. In a rush to scoop, he went public with unvetted documents - which were, if anything, more of a sidebar to the general story to begin with. CBS didn't make this stuff up. Their source did.

By the way, the news.com.au portal that Apu quoted is a Rupert Murdoch controlled news outlet, the same Rupert Murdoch at the helms of FOX in the USA. If that source has a story placing another Murdoch property in a poor light, chances are it's true.

The difference is ... at Fox, some reporter was trying to be funny and it ended getting posted on a website. At CBS ... they led with their inxorrect story on the national network news, not a cable new station, but one of the big over-the-air broadcast networks.

There's a big f***ing difference.

You're right. A big f***ing difference. The guy assigned to cover the Kerry campaign showed his bias against Kerry and made s*** up. CBS ran with a few unvetted documents in a story that the crux of it has never been denied by the White House.

CBS ran a totally inaccurate story without checking the facts. The Fox thing was wrong, on the part of one individual. But it damn sure wasn't a lead story on their news.

CBS ran a totally inaccurate story without checking the facts.  The Fox thing was wrong, on the part of one individual.  But it damn sure wasn't a lead story on their news.

Wow. Making up news is better than getting fooled by lies??

That's the kind of journalism that conservatives are fighting for??

A free press does more to protect our freedoms everyday than all the politicians combined. Rooting out corruption, and shining daylight into the tiny backcorners of our government is the best disinfectant.

What CBS and Fox did was shake the foundation of journalism and is wrong. When the public starts defending acts like this we are all in trouble. As long as they are lies aginst the other side, it's ok? Wow.

Have you ever noticed that when a coup starts the first targets are always the tv and radio stations? Do you think it's because they want to make certain reruns of Dallas aren't preempted?

During the TET Offensive, the north's biggest push and critical part of their strategy was to get ahold of the tv stations. They felt they could start a wave of protest and atacks against the Americans by controlling the minds.

How anyone can defend a journalist whose actions help to undermine the very foundation that a free press is based on is beside me. I'll assume t is blind loyalty to a political party, but wow.

I'll accept a debate about bias in the media, but will never accept a position that lying is OK. That is so wrong I cannot even understand for a second that someone could think it is right.

I'm done.  This is being blown all out of proportion. What CBS did was so much worse than what happened on Fox.  Period. Out.

One killed jounalistic integrity with a knife, the other killed it with a gun. You want to argue shades of wrong, ok.

Or are we debating two different things?

Could we agree on this:

CBS's lies were worse because of the wider arena and audience.

Fox's lies were worse because they published stuff they 100% knew to be lies.

I don't defend the actions of Dan Rather. In fact, I don't think he's a very good newsperson. But I will say his actions were done in good faith. He stood by his story until his vetting team said otherwise. He then retracted... even though he still stands by the rest of the story, which has not been denied by the White House.

I find that honorable actually. He owned up to his mistake and didn't make s*** up.

I don't defend the actions of Dan Rather. In fact, I don't think he's a very good newsperson. But I will say his actions were done in good faith. He stood by his story until his vetting team said otherwise. He then retracted... even though he still stands by the rest of the story, which has not been denied by the White House.

I find that honorable actually. He owned up to his mistake and didn't make s*** up.

Congrats on 1,000 posts. Winodj