As If We Didn't Already Realize This.....

CubKilla

Chicago is now the undisputed home of baseball's most ridiculously underachieving AL and NL teams. There's no curse in the world that will tell you that the White Sox have and always will suck under the ownership of JR. Time to face facts White Sox fans..... as long as the White Sox and JR are hand-in-hand, the White will NEVER win jack s***. Sleep tight. Goodnight.

CubKilla

Chicago is now the undisputed home of baseball's most ridiculously underachieving AL and NL teams. There's no curse in the world that will tell you that the White Sox have and always will suck under the ownership of JR. Time to face facts White Sox fans..... as long as the White Sox and JR are hand-in-hand, the White will NEVER win jack s***. Sleep tight. Goodnight.

CubKilla

Here's a page 2 piece relating to this....didn't want to start another thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...second/guessing

Exactly. Now it's just exacerbated. Instead of 3 pathetic teams hailing back to 1908, 1917, and 1918 exclusively, it now goes 1908, 1917, and 1948.

But keep pulling the wool over your eyes and looking at the bright side greasy  :rolly

Dude what the hell?.....I'm just saying, you act like you brought something new to the table....Even before Boston won the series...Chicago was still "the undisputed home of baseball's most ridiculously underachieving AL and NL teams."

Now thank you and come again.

CubKilla

We already were more underachieving in the AL than Boston, 1917 vs 1918. So there's nothing new there. Lots of those years were pre-Reinsdorf.

Obviously a team that spends more money will have an advantage. But I'm not going to hold my breath until JR doubles payroll to match the Red Sox. And we have had chances -- any team in the playoffs has some realistic hope of winning the WS, and we've been in the playoffs a few times in my lifetime.

We've heard it all before. It's going to be a big year in general for the White Sox next season. I think we have to make the playoffs for KW to keep his job, he's been round long enough, now time for some results. Also Ozzie is in the final year of his 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd. I'm assuming that will get picked up, unless we really stink next season. All in all, the Sox need to make a statement, and I think KW's going to try and do that by acquiring RJ. I'm just worried he's going to give up WAY too much.

I thought this was an interesting little quote in Ken Rosenthal's latest piece.

Oops, forgot something: Not everyone is smiling. The Cubs, no world championships since 1908, and White Sox, none since 1917, are the sole remaining members of the Cursed Franchise Society.

Hardly anyone cares about the White Sox, who possess all the charm of a South Side tenement.

On Mike and Mike this morning they were talking about the BoSox nation now happy they got onto how the other teams have the longest losing streaks... of course they talked about the Cub Nation.. then Greenberg says "You can't really include the White Sox in this because they don't have a Nation". This sort of crap is said all the time but it aggravates me to no end how little respect the White Sox get....but then I wonder do they deserve any??

On Mike and Mike this morning they were talking about the BoSox nation now happy they got onto how the other teams have the longest losing streaks... of course they talked about the Cub Nation.. then Greenberg says "You can't really include the White Sox in this because they don't have a Nation". This sort of crap is said all the time but it aggravates me to no end how little respect the White Sox get....but then I wonder do they deserve any??

Let me put this into persepective as an out of towner. I went into the local Lids store and picked up a new Sox cap. They had one choice and 6 in stock. In the previous 8 months the manager told me they sold 3 Sox caps and "dozens and dozens" of Cub caps.

Check MLB merchandizing sales and with the exception of the years when "black was hip, gangster style" the Sox are never near the top.

We do not have the fan base of the Cubs, Giants, Red Sox, etc.

I thought this was an interesting little quote in Ken Rosenthal's latest piece.

You have to wonder how baseball fans would embrace a White Sox World Series run. Would Sporstcenter wet themselves referencing past chokes and curses resulting in our failures? I could only imagine ESPN producers grudgingly digging through old archives of films searching for a video montage of our nonexisting "curse."

Despite my utmost allegiance and devotion to the Pale Hose, I would love to witness the indifferent media coverage sure to persist through a title run. Various media outlets (ideally Trib) would report endless accounts of the boredom echoed throughout the nation, and gloat the World Series ratings are the lowest since [insert date]. :bang

Few curse/futility related random thoughts:

I don't believe in curses, but if you think about it, purely in terms of what makes a better story or legend or folklore, the White Sox should really have the best curse. Bambino? that's weak. Some stupid goat? even worse.

I mean we threw the WS, consequently, as a punishment, the baseball Gods cursed the organization and decided it should never win the WS again. Now THAT"S a great story.

Last night during the game they were talking about how different life was back in 1918. A newspaper cost like 3 cents, a loaf of bread was like 5 cents, there was no tv, women couldn't vote, the depression was still 21 years away etc. If you haven't won the WS since back then, in a way, it feels like you've NEVER won it at all.

What is about the White Sox that people/media seem to WANT to dislike?

Few curse/futility related random thoughts:

I don't believe in curses, but if you think about it, purely in terms of what makes a better story or legend or folklore, the White Sox should really have the best curse. Bambino?  that's weak.  Some stupid goat? even worse.

I mean we threw the WS, consequently, as a punishment, the baseball Gods cursed the organization and decided it should never win the WS again. Now THAT"S a great story.

Last night during the game they were talking about how different life was back in 1918. A newspaper cost like 3 cents, a loaf of bread was like 5 cents, there was no tv, women couldn't vote, the depression was still 21 years away etc. If you haven't won the WS since back then, in a way, it feels like you've NEVER won it at all. 

What is about the White Sox that people/media seem to WANT to dislike?

Some reason the media thinks all White Sox fans must be like this guy....

a3828i0_cflbrawl.jpg

CubKilla

how old is JR, CubKilla? Because he's owned the White Sox since the last time we won the WS, right? He has to be like 100.

You have to wonder how baseball fans would embrace a White Sox World Series run.  Would Sporstcenter wet themselves referencing past chokes and curses resulting in our failures?  I could only imagine ESPN producers grudgingly digging through old archives of films searching for a video montage of our nonexisting "curse."

Despite my utmost allegiance and devotion to the Pale Hose, I would love to witness the indifferent media coverage sure to persist through a title run.  Various media outlets (ideally Trib) would report endless accounts of the boredom echoed throughout the nation, and gloat the World Series ratings are the lowest since [insert date].  :bang

I think that a White Sox world series run would result in MANY casual baseball fans cheering for the Sox. With the exception of Cub or Twin fans, I don't know any other fans that just despise the white sox. Look at the cubs or yankees, there are baseball fans of nearly every team that despise those franchises. The white sox could easily garner that national interest, we've just got to make a splash, make a push, and finally win something.

I think that a White Sox world series run would result in MANY casual baseball fans cheering for the Sox.  With the exception of Cub or Twin fans, I don't know any other fans that just despise the white sox.  Look at the cubs or yankees, there are baseball fans of nearly every team that despise those franchises.  The white sox could easily garner that national interest, we've just got to make a splash, make a push, and finally win something.

Do Twins fans really dislike the Sox? It's not an old rivalry, like Bears-Packers. Just 10 years ago it was all Sox-Indians, after all.

I don't know, maybe they do. I just don't feel like rooting strongly against a team unless there's a longstanding history.