Spying on your kids

Texsox

Is it ok to check what and where your kid is posting?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to check what and where your kid is posting?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the kid

I was just snooping aorund my 15 year old's computer and saw some of his posts at a gaming site. I'm wondering what some of the HS and college people think about parents boundaries. He's an excellent student, Eagle Scout, and athlete and there are basically no behavior problems. Just want to keep it that way.

BTW, he has a cool sig and avatar and in his sig are the lyrics

And in the end

The love you take

Is equal to the love you make.

I know I'm raising him right :headbang Abbey Road

I think a kid deserves their parents' trust until he blows it. If the kid is getting into trouble then the parents should check that the kid isn't doing something stupid.

For example, a kid at my school is a real idiot. He's in all the slow classes and he drinks and smokes. He is actually a nice kid though. That's not the point. He stole his parents' credit card and gambled away $2,500 or something like that playing online poker. Number 1, you really have to suck to blow that much, lol. Number 2, he is the type of kid to check on.

I think when I have kids I'm gonna check on my daughter so much more then my son.

For whatever reason I'd think I would be so much more worried cause so much more can happen to a girl then a guy. Simply because its not a big deal for a son to have sex in a sense (assuming he's smart about it) but for your daughter it be killer.

Its definately a double standard.

I also agree with what Dan says. I don't think my parents ever really had to bug me too much. I did my own thing and was pretty much self reliant, but I never was in trouble and would clue them into things when I needed to. Got good enough grades and never really got into trouble. Basically I've never had a curfew or anything like that, never needed one either.

I think when I have kids I'm gonna check on my daughter so much more then my son. 

For whatever reason I'd think I would be so much more worried cause so much more can happen to a girl then a guy.  Simply because its not a big deal for a son to have sex in a sense (assuming he's smart about it) but for your daughter it be killer. 

Its definately a double standard. 

I also agree with what Dan says. I don't think my parents ever really had to bug me too much.  I did my own thing and was pretty much self reliant, but I never was in trouble and would clue them into things when I needed to.  Got good enough grades and never really got into trouble.  Basically I've never had a curfew or anything like that, never needed one either.

I'm gonna beat Heads to the punch on this one...

First, in order to have kids jason, you have to have sex...

:bang

Sorry to hijack the thread. I really want to see how some parents feel about this topic.

My parents have given me both a lot of freedom and responsibility. They basically threw me into the waters and said go for it. I think this builds character, however, in other ways I have been spoiled. Of course living in an affluent suburb gives kids both the opportunity to take advantage of being spoiled or to just be total dbags about it.

Spying on your kids is taking away privacy, however, with reason then they could spy.

I let my dad see some posts that I thought we interesting here, and he likes the board, says it is run well and to the point.

Now under suspicion of a kid drinking or smoking, I'd search if I was a parent.

I'm basically the middle child so I get some attention, not a load of it.

But its nice when your the quiet one who goes does his work and has fun on his own.

I think a kid deserves their parents' trust until he blows it. If the kid is getting into trouble then the parents should check that the kid isn't doing something stupid.

For example, a kid at my school is a real idiot. He's in all the slow classes and he drinks and smokes. He is actually a nice kid though. That's not the point. He stole his parents' credit card and gambled away $2,500 or something like that playing online poker. Number 1, you really have to suck to blow that much, lol. Number 2, he is the type of kid to check on.

I'm with Dan 100 percent on this one.

An occassional snoop is necessary in my opinion. Those snoops can allow you to nip problems in the bud before they get out of hand. It's always important to know as much about your kid as possible, this allows you to parent accordingly. Hell, you never know, perhaps most of the time you'll walk away proud of your kid like Tex did.

You've got to keep tabs on your kids to a certain extent. And it's not because of a lack of trust, but due to the fact that you are more aware of the dangers and downfalls that are out there. I mean in both the real world and on the net. There are too many temptations out there that a hormonally active 15 year old kid can get sucked in by.

You've got to keep tabs on your kids to a certain extent.  And it's not because of a lack of trust, but due to the fact that you are more aware of the dangers and downfalls that are out there.  I mean in both the real world and on the net.  There are too many temptations out there that a hormonally active 15 year old kid can get sucked in by.

Yeah, like digging into Dad's bookmarks :ph34r:

BTW, he talks about the main site he visits all the time and thought he was cool when he crossed 500 posts. He really understood the point that post counts don't matter when he saw my total :lol: