Reason for a Busy White Sox Offseason

Butter Parque

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words.

Poorme, do you a point to your post? Should we get rid of Ozzie because he only averages 83 wins a year? The manager is responsible for the using talent he is given, and the players are responsible for playing at their best.

Quit blaming KW.

If the Sox make a big free agent signing before Soxfest, will they have new jerseys of that player available for purchse during Soxfest?

They sell blank jerseys, and they also have a company that does lettering on the spot. It works out to about the same price as getting a jersey at a shop, but you don't have to wait to see if they have the player you want.

Poorme, do you a point to your post?  Should we get rid of Ozzie because he only averages 83 wins a year?  The manager is responsible for the using talent he is given, and the players are responsible for playing at their best.

Quit blaming KW.

i would say OG should be on the hot seat if after four years he has accomplished nothing.

don't you have higher expectations? KW certainly isn't the worst GM but he aint the best either. if they don't make the playoffs once in 5 years in the weakest division in baseball, how could anyone with a straight face say KW doesn't deserve to be replaced?

excuse me for not being happy with mediocrity.

We didnt accomplish nothing?? Forgive me but payroll since 2000 been up more. I do believe no one showed up that season until playoffs came. I remember article in espn magazine telling fans to show up and yet you people talk negative about this orginzation. Look what Kenny has done with this club by brining in a pitching staff 1-4 right that can be solid and yet you people continue blame kenny willams. We had people like Colon, David Wells, Kenny Lofton, Keith Foulke, Magglio Ordonez, and other players where I thought we could do something. It's not Kenny's fault the players are not getting it done. Last season I blame missing our 3 and 4 hitters. Plus having no 5th starter the whole season. The 2003 season we choked at the end and put too much pressure on ourselves. I will take Kenny Willams anyday of the week. Oh by the way , since Ozzie didnt win divison his first season you wanna fire him too? Look at teams like Kansas City, clevelend, and Detriot last couple yrs and they will tell you how depressing their team is and how much they wish they can bring guys that can win. Clevelend had a great team in 90's and nothign to show in playoffs but a world series chance in 97 which they lost to Flordia Marlins. Kenny is trying to win and feels your pain. You think it's his fault he can't outbid people with money he has?? Kenny tries for ya guys and if you guys are not happy having garcia, contreas, garland, buerhele on this staff then you are nuts. I m been a fan when whitesox had no pitching staff late 90's and I'm not giving up on this sox team now nor never. You wanna be a fan of this club then start beliving in ozzie and kenny. :headbang

i would say OG should be on the hot seat if after four years he has accomplished nothing.

don't you have higher expectations? KW certainly isn't the worst GM but he aint the best either. if they don't make the playoffs once in 5 years in the weakest division in baseball, how could anyone with a straight face say KW doesn't deserve to be replaced?

excuse me for not being happy with mediocrity.

KW won me over with the way he transformed the 2002 team in to the second half team of 2003. He wasn't trying to win a division, he was trying to win a WS. Are those expectations high enough for you? KW realizes that this franchise hasn't won a championship since 1917.

Manuel's bad managing to go along with All-Star Konerko's year long slump, and All-Star Buehrle's first half slump in 2003, and injuries to our two best hitters in 2004 killed these past two seasons, not KW.

Supposed everyone on next year's roster goes down to some kind of injury any misses an extended period of time or perhaps Ozzie starts pulling his starting pitchers after the 5th inning. The Sox don't win the division, but thy still remain competitive. Are you still going to fault KW?

I don't get why KW is the scapegoat. We still haven't won a World Series under Reinsdrof, and he has owned the team for 24 years now. Or would you be more satisfied with a division title in the weakest division? :huh:

We didnt accomplish nothing?? Forgive me but payroll since 2000 been up more. I do believe no one showed up that season until playoffs came. I remember article in espn magazine telling fans to show up and yet you people talk negative about this orginzation. Look what Kenny has done with this club by brining in a pitching staff 1-4 right that can be solid and yet you people continue blame kenny willams. We had people like Colon, David Wells, Kenny Lofton, Keith Foulke, Magglio Ordonez, and other players where I thought we could do something. It's not Kenny's fault the players are not getting it done. Last season I blame missing our 3 and 4 hitters. Plus having no 5th starter the whole season. The 2003 season we choked at the end and put too much pressure on ourselves. I will take Kenny Willams anyday of the week. Oh by the way , since Ozzie didnt win divison his first season you wanna fire him too? Look at teams like Kansas City, clevelend, and Detriot last couple yrs and they will tell you how depressing their team is and how much they wish they can bring guys that can win. Clevelend had a great team in 90's and nothign to show in playoffs but a world series chance in 97 which they lost to Flordia Marlins. Kenny is trying to win and feels your pain. You think it's his fault he can't outbid people with money he has?? Kenny tries for ya guys and if you guys are not happy having garcia, contreas, garland, buerhele on this staff then you are nuts. I m been a fan when whitesox had no pitching staff late 90's and I'm not giving up on this sox team now nor never. You wanna be a fan of this club then start beliving in ozzie and kenny. 

You people don't get it, you think Kw is a good manager because he brings in a bunch of players and that makes him great. The onlt thing that matter sis the end result, and guys that KW has brought in haven't worked and we haven't been successful at all. We haven't made the playoffs once in his term as GM.

The twins make almost no big moves, yet make the playofffs ever year. They don't have to make big trades and expensive signings to be successfu. They bring in what works for their team. They're able to dump payroll (Eric Milton) for what many thought was a bad trade for them. Instead, Carlos Silva was great for them as their #4 starter and for a cheaper price.

It is Kenny's fault and nobody else's. He brings in the players and managers and thaty don't work out. Who else is their to balme?

It is Kenny's fault and nobody else's. He brings in the players and managers and thaty don't work out. Who else is their to balme?

Did you bother to read my post? Or was it too long for you?

Manuel was given a contract extension by REINSDORF after the 2000 season. How could you not bring back the guy who turned a losing team into a division winner?

KW wanted to hire Cito, not Guillen. KW was ready to make an offer, but Reinsdorf called for a second interview with Ozzie (I think it was at an Airport,) then KW and Reinsdorf hired the cheaper, former-Sox, option.

You can blame Manuel for being a statue and pulling his starting pitchers too early, Konerko's horrible year, and/or Buehrle bad first half (He was 2-10 at one point,) for 2003. Was it KW's fault for the collapse in the HHH dome in late September? :melt Carl Everett was the ONLY one hitting in that series. He had a bloop single in the first inning that scored two runs, and he hit a homer off of LaTroy Hawkins (who dominated the Sox) in the 8th inning.

What do you think would've happened to 2004 Sox if Maggs and Frank didn't miss a combined 198 games? :huh:

Did you bother to read my post? Or was it too long for you?

Manuel was given a contract extension by REINSDORF after the 2000 season.  How could you not bring back the guy who turned a losing team into a division winner?

KW wanted to hire Cito, not Guillen.  KW was ready to make an offer, but Reinsdorf called for a second interview with Ozzie (I think it was at an Airport,) then KW and Reinsdorf hired the cheaper, former-Sox, option.

You can blame Manuel for being a statue and pulling his starting pitchers too early, Konerko's horrible year, and/or Buehrle bad first half (He was 2-10 at one point,) for 2003.  Was it KW's fault for the collapse in the HHH dome in late September? :melt Carl Everett was the ONLY one hitting in that series.  He had a bloop single in the first inning that scored two runs, and he hit a homer off of LaTroy Hawkins (who dominated the Sox) in the 8th inning.

What do you think would've happened to 2004 Sox if Maggs and Frank didn't miss a combined 198 games?  :huh:

you need to quit making sense

Poorme, do you a point to your post?  Should we get rid of Ozzie because he only averages 83 wins a year?  The manager is responsible for the using talent he is given, and the players are responsible for playing at their best.

Quit blaming KW.

Santo, I agree with everything you've said.

BUT:

Bottom line -- no playoff appearances. I don't care if there have been injuries. I don't want to hear excuses. I want results.

I won't call Kenny a terrible GM -- but until he reaches the playoffs, no one can really call him a great GM either...

in any line of work you're evaluated on results, not good intentions.

edit: but as I've said before, KW has a job for as long as JR is around. he does what he's told, speaks well to the media, does a halfway decent job. i'd be interested to see what he could do with a $90 million payroll.

yeah i love KW as a gm... he makes trades and he isnt afraid to trade prospects who more likely wont turn out for proven talent.... we were just as good if not better than the twins when our lineup was healthy so there is no point on pointing the finger at anyone last year. Lets judge KW on a year where are 2 best players dont go down.

You people don't get it, you think Kw is a good manager because he brings in a bunch of players and that makes him great. The onlt thing that matter sis the end result, and guys that KW has brought in haven't worked and we haven't been successful at all. We haven't made the playoffs once in his term as GM.

The twins make almost no big moves, yet make the playofffs ever year. They don't have to make big trades and expensive signings to be successfu. They bring in what works for their team. They're able to dump payroll (Eric Milton) for what many thought was a bad trade for them. Instead, Carlos Silva was great for them as their #4 starter and for a cheaper price.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

So true, KW has done sqaut as the GM, even in santo=dorf signature, justs proves our point that the guy can not handle the GM job. KW over pays for players, can't draft. Name one player that KW has drafted that has helped this team? This has big my biggest beef, with him.. We have the highest payroll in the Division, yet we have no KW home grown players that can help this team, something the twins do time and time again.

I have called for a rebuilding project much like Cleveland did a couple of years ago, but it will never happen as long as KW is the GM because he can't draft talent we need here to win.

Fire KW, sign Steve Stone as the GM, hell he can't do any worse than KW. Good trades compared to bringing talent up through our system and then mixing in FA is the sign of a good GM..KW is far from that.

So true, KW has done sqaut as the GM, even in santo=dorf signature, justs proves our point that the guy can not handle the GM job.  KW over pays for players, can't draft. Name one player that KW has drafted that has helped this team? This has big my biggest beef, with him.. We have the highest payroll in the Division, yet we have no KW home grown players that can help this team, something the twins do time and time again.

1.) KW is not in charge of the draft.

2.) His first draft would have been the 2001 draft -- June 2001 -- How many players drafted since then have "helped their team"???

less than 1% of those drafted. -- It takes time to develop players in every farm system.

3)Those Twins you speak of, with all that homegrown talent. Their GM has been at the helm since 1994. It took him 7 seasons before he was able to have that homegrown talent produce enough at the major league level to earn them a division crown. Meanwhile from 1994-2000 they failed to win more than 70 games in a single season. THAT'S f***ING TERRIBLE.

4) I feel like I'm forgetting something -- Wait, I remember

PWNED

Next season, If Williams fails to assemble a team capable of capturing a divisonal championship (at the least), I don't know any reason why to keep him. This should be his defining year, yet many on this site believe it isn't.

Why?

If not next year, when exactly will the blame rest on the shoulders of Kenny Williams? I'm personally adopting a motto: First place or last place. Either we win the division (possibly wild card) or finish dead last. No "moral victories," or reasons to sight signs of improvement. I don't want to hear excuses anymore.

This organization cannot continue treading water while Cleveland, Detroit are successfully rebuilding. Williams doesnt' need a busy offseason. He needs to create smart trades and sign quality players to overcome Minnesota.

The Sox would have won The AL Central.

Really? I think they would have still fell a few games short. But i guess we will never no. Pitching was th ebig problem last year, it was horrid. There were not many positives when it came to either the rotation or the pen.

2.) His first draft would have been the 2001 draft -- June 2001 -- How many players drafted since then have "helped their team"???

Picked b4 The SOx

Joe Mauer

Mark Prior

Mark Teixeira

After the Sox Picked..

Bobby Crosby..Hmm The rookie of the year and a SS.. Funny I think we are looking for a SS

Jeremy Bonderman

Chris Burke

David Wright

7/44=16%

Keep helping my arguement that KW needs to leave...

NEXT

Really? I think they would have still fell a few games short. But i guess we will never no. Pitching was th ebig problem last year, it was horrid. There were not many positives when it came to either the rotation or the pen.

And who's fault is it that we don't have the pitching we need to win?

Let me guess...

JR.. No NO.. wait maybe you will say Ozzie.. no no wait maybe Jerry M...Keep facing the facts that KW needs to go, esp if we can't win the Div.

Picked b4 The SOx

Joe Mauer

Mark Prior

Mark Teixeira

After the Sox Picked..

Bobby Crosby..Hmm The rookie of the year and a SS.. Funny I think we are looking for a SS

Jeremy Bonderman

Chris Burke

David Wright

7/44=16%

Keep helping my arguement that KW needs to leave...

NEXT

Gene Honda Civic asked: "How many players drafted since then (June 2001)have "helped their team"???

And apparently Anthraxfan believes only 44 players were drafted since June of 2001.

Interesting. :dips***