Maggs

MinnesotaSoxFan

No one will sign him before Dec.7, because the Sox will steal there pick in the draft. Which is also probably why Boras won't show us the medical records.

Absolutely. If I were the owners, I would use the Ordonez case as Exhibit A as to why players should still be considered "signed" by their teams and subject to medical examinations until the time for the arbitration decision is made.

But here's the rub - if Maggs were really healthy, then Boras would have had Maggs examined by the Sox's doctors. I'd be very suspicious about Maggs if I were another GM about - why would Boras try to induce the Sox to offer Maggs arbitration to get a draft pick if they didn't know whether he was healthy or not?

Absolutely.  If I were the owners, I would use the Ordonez case as Exhibit A as to why players should still be considered "signed" by their teams and subject to medical examinations until the time for the arbitration decision is made.

But here's the rub - if Maggs were really healthy, then Boras would have had Maggs examined by the Sox's doctors.  I'd be very suspicious about Maggs if I were another GM about - why would Boras try to induce the Sox to offer Maggs arbitration to get a draft pick if they didn't know whether he was healthy or not?

To answer your question, Magglio is more valuable as a totally free agent than one that will cost a draft choice or two. Boras can wait till Dec 8th, let any interested team check him out and sign him free and clear.

I'm glad we found out what a selfish greedy bastard he really was and i'm not upset to see him go...

I wouldn't want a player who wasn't competitive. If Maggs was such a loser that he would settle for an inferior contract, way less than other players near his talent, I don't want him.

"I don't want to make as much as him, I'm not nearly as good. Just pay me a little, and don't expect too much."

I want a guy that stands up and says he wants a top contract and says dammit I have the ability to back it up. Settling for less is a loser's mentality and that sucks on a baseball diamond. Winners want to win at everything, including the paycheck. The I'm just lucky to be playing in the MLB, I love Chicago and don't care how much I make, is for losers.

I wouldn't want a player who wasn't competitive. If Maggs was such a loser that he would settle for an inferior contract, way less than other players near his talent, I don't want him.

"I don't want to make as much as him, I'm not nearly as good. Just pay me a little, and don't expect too much."

I want a guy that stands up and says he wants a top contract and says dammit I have  the ability to back it up. Settling for less is a loser's mentality and that sucks on a baseball diamond. Winners want to win at everything, including the paycheck. The I'm just lucky to be playing in the MLB, I love Chicago and don't care how much I make, is for losers.

Theres a difference between wanting a top contract, and lying and stabbing in the back the organization that made you when no one else would of touched you.

I don't give a s*** that he wants the money. But if your going to lie and pass yourself off as healthy when your not then you have problems. Any team that signs him won't have much use out of his till 06' at the earliest.

Theres a difference between wanting a top contract, and lying and stabbing in the back the organization that made you when no one else would of touched you.

I don't give a s*** that he wants the money. But if your going to lie and pass yourself off as healthy when your not then you have problems. Any team that signs him won't have much use out of his till 06' at the earliest.

Sorry, I missed the medical report, I didn't know he wouldn't be back until 2006.

No one else wanted him? I wasn't aware of that. I thought we brought him up from Nashville, was he out of baseball at some time?

Imagine if the rest of the world worked this way. You want to be in retail sales? Great. Sears drafted you in the 4th round. You must go to Des Moines, Iowa. You must state that the customers in Des Moines are the greatest anywhere. You must have total loyalty to Sears and Des Moines for the rest of your life. If JC Penny wants to pay you more, you must tell them no, that you will remain loyal to the great shoppers at Sears, or else you are a greedy SOB. :lolhitting

Sorry, I missed the medical report, I didn't know he wouldn't be back until 2006.

No one else wanted him? I wasn't aware of that. I thought we brought him up from Nashville, was he out of baseball at some time?

Imagine if the rest of the world worked this way. You want to be in retail sales? Great. Sears drafted you in the 4th round. You must go to Des Moines, Iowa. You must state that the customers in Des Moines are the greatest anywhere. You must have total loyalty to Sears and Des Moines for the rest of your life. If JC Penny wants to pay you more, you must tell them no, that you will remain loyal to the great shoppers at Sears, or else you are a greedy SOB.  :lolhitting

Retails salesmen don't have a collective bargaining agreement like baseball players do. Your arguement is futile.

Imagine if the rest of the world worked this way. You want to be in retail sales? Great. Sears drafted you in the 4th round. You must go to Des Moines, Iowa. You must state that the customers in Des Moines are the greatest anywhere. You must have total loyalty to Sears and Des Moines for the rest of your life. If JC Penny wants to pay you more, you must tell them no, that you will remain loyal to the great shoppers at Sears, or else you are a greedy SOB.  :lolhitting

not to mention the trades its a double edges sword.

Why won't the team have much use of him until 2006? He has, by my counts, about 2 and a half months left to rest and rehabilitate his knee back into condition, and he has been resting it since about the middle of July, so he has been resting it for about 6 months in all.

I have no idea what this type of condition is or how it will effect him long term, but you have to consider that Willie McGahee was running at about 75% on a knee that he had major surgery on to replace an ACL and an MCL in within 3 months of actually having the surgery, and I would have to imagine that an ACL + MCL tear is much worse then what has happened to Maggs. Given, McGahee was being absolutely stupid in doing what he did, but he was doing it.

I see no reason why Maggs will not be able to play in 2005, unless he reinjures his knee or some other part of his body.

Retails salesmen don't have a collective bargaining agreement like baseball players do.  Your arguement is futile.

OK, you want to be an electrician in the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). You will do your apprenticeship for Square D in Port Aransas, Texas and if you complete the apprectice program you will be assigned to their crew in Seattle. You will pledge allegiance to Square D, the City of Seattle, and the IBEW. If a non union company or another union shop offers you more money or a chance to move somewhere you want to live, you will turn it down or be called a greedy bastard :lol:

And I did say, if the real world worked like baseball.

OK, you want to be an electrician in the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). You will do your apprenticeship for Square D in Port Aransas, Texas and if you complete the apprectice program you will be assigned to their crew in Seattle. You will pledge allegiance to Square D, the City of Seattle, and the IBEW. If a non union company or another union shop offers you more money or a chance to move somewhere you want to live, you will turn it down or be called a greedy bastard  :lol:

And I did say, if the real world worked like baseball.

And only one of those professions has a anti-trust exemption on file on file with the US government and has an average salary of $2 million a year to compensate for those horrible working conditions that baseball players have to endure.

And only one of those professions has a anti-trust exemption on file on file with the US government and has an average salary of $2 million a year to compensate for those horrible working conditions that baseball players have to endure.

Again, I said IF the real world worked like baseball . . .

I am not offering to throw a pity party for pro athletes. I am pointing out that the only route for players to excercise any of the freedoms we take for granted is via free agency. Imagine being told who and where to work. And if you ever mention you may like to live somewhere else, you have hell to pay. Remember Mark Buerhle and his Cardinals crush?

I love free enterprise and capitalism. Both sides are negotiating in a high stakes game. The team doesn't want to let a popular player go and have the only reason be monetary. So they have to make him less popular by the time he's gone. The Sox have done an excellent job in that regard. The player, if he's even half way competitive, wants to step on the field and be the highest paid guy. I doubt anyone here doesn't want to be the highest paid person doing their job at their company. Why should pro athletes, who we value for the competitiveness, check that at the door during salary negotiations?

I want players that will

A. Fight tooth and nail for the best deal possible.

B. Shut up and play and don't whine when someone beats their deal. Don't give me the respect b.s. Shut up and play hard. You signed the deal, live with it.

And let's remember the guy who is working two jobs to make ends meet, and they aren't, is telling *you* to quit b****ing and enjoy your job.